All-Star Csp Tweet: No More Travelling For Cea Teams.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Money for your charity.

You only get the charity money if you are part of the one Senior division that was picked for that at the beginning of the year. The rest of the Divisions do get bragging rights and maybe a medal???

(Momager beat me to it!!!)

So this could begin the whole 'all competitions for Worlds Bids' thing. UCA is a very expensive competition to go to. Could knock off 500 to 1000 off the bill by doing that.

So this could begin the whole 'all competitions for Worlds Bids' thing. UCA is a very expensive competition to go to. Could knock off 500 to 1000 off the bill by doing that.

Even if they didn't already have a paid bid, it doesn't make sense to spend money to fly to Orlando in hopes of winning a paid(ish) trip to Orlando. I know we have zero interest in going to yet another DisneyWorld competition.

Even if they didn't already have a paid bid, it doesn't make sense to spend money to fly to Orlando in hopes of winning a paid(ish) trip to Orlando. I know we have zero interest in going to yet another DisneyWorld competition.
That's what gofundme is for, to pay for these trips. individuals do it so why not teams.

**What if gofundme included a double your money back performance clause?**

CT Cheer is a sport, but competitions aren't until AFTER basketball season (which is pretty big up here, so it makes sense). So you have plenty of time to get routines together.

All CT sports have a time off requirement for the whole summer. You are not allowed to officially practice until sometime in August. You can have 'workouts' and 'free play', but your coach can't talk to you or coach you on anything. They can be there to supervise, and that's it. Some teams try to get around this by going as a team to camps/clinics/spring leagues for sports. I think if you do a spring league (depending on the sport), they limit the amount of people from one school on one team, but don't quote me on that.

I don't know about football though. Their rules might be different.

No because school cheer is not considered a sport by the NCHSAA. If it were, the same rules would apply that you could have limited numbers of athletes attend "conditioning and/or workouts" which are specifically prohibited from being a "practice" and cannot be mandatory, like soccer, football etc do until the August 1 date where practice is permitted to begin.

Although the NCHSAA did just approve a two week practice period in the spring for football, but that's for football only.

Since cheer is not a "sport" officially, they can have legit practices that are required all summer long. Official sports can't do that and have to wait until the starting day for that season (usually about 2-3 weeks before Their first game).

Just in case anyone out there is salty that cheer isn't a sport. Try not having practice until August and competing in November.

In Forsyth County (at least), they can't require practices till August 1st for fall sports and cheerleading is included in that. Now they do hold practices over the summer, but it's not mandatory till August 1st.

I have a question, mainly for the parents footing these bills.

I was never on a team that went to these grand, expensive competitions but my last couple of years we did a lot of competitions. I think my last couple of years the average was 14/15 a season. With around half out of state. So maybe my bill per year was ~$4000? Nothing in the range of some of these top level teams.

So my questions is at what point, if there is one, do you tell your child "listen, if you want to continue to do this, you need to help out because we cannot afford this on our own"? Im not really talking about "help out around the house more", I'm talking about making them fundraise, getting a job, helping financially with the payments. And clearly I'm taking about highschool students unless you wanna blur the lines of the child labor laws.

Fortunately, both of the gyms I cheered at had concession stands at the local university sports stadium and minor league baseball stadium that you could work as fundraising. In a way it was basically a job and instead of the paycheck going to you, it goes straight to your account at the gym via the booster club. I started working games when I was 14 (even if the age was 16 and older) because my parents made it clear that I needed to help out. My last two years I worked enough to pay for almost all of the money that went to the gym. Tuition, gym fees, competition fees, uniform, event shirts, make-up, whatever. My parents paid for travel and that's it.

I don't see why the older kids can't help out with these outrageous expenses. I know how busy it gets, I was on two teams, did tumbling classes, stayed on honor roll and payed for my cheer, but it's possible. If it's something the kids want to do, they should help with the expenses as best they can. And if it's something the kids are super invested in, they will find a way to make it all work. Why should the responsibility be placed solely on the parents?

I'm interested in people's opinions, go!

There are a lot of parents/athletes at our gym who work shifts to pay for cheer expenses. I think the choice to do that is up to families to take advantage of fundraising if feasible for that family.

DH and I have always explained to CP that cheer is not a necessity, although she loves it and we like that she loves it. But if ever there came a time that financially cheer was too much, she is very aware that it would end for her. I have read this thread where costs are upwards of $7k+. I only keep track of cost of tuition, tumble class, practice wear & comp fee's. I don't include travel cost. (probably my own denial, lol) but our gym does 3 travel comps that require hotel. The away comps are cheer-cations for us. CP is on 1 team, she take weekly tumble class.

Our gym does have a booster club and my cp has worked a few shifts, although she is 15 and they require min. age 16, because they needed the help badly they allowed her and a few other athletes to work. Working booster club for 4 mos, yielded enough to cover cost of new uniform, choreo/music fee's, & tuition for a few months, which helped a lot.

In Forsyth County (at least), they can't require practices till August 1st for fall sports and cheerleading is included in that. Now they do hold practices over the summer, but it's not mandatory till August 1st.
Thats a decision of the county athletic department then. Our cadre of HS principals decided not to qualify it that way (I think technically the nchsaa lets the district make the decision regarding cheerleading) but I weighed in specifically in my district to not classify it as a sport ...

GASP

...because they'd have to follow those guidelines and at least my school and one other competes and we could never be ready in time if we couldn't do choreography over the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No because school cheer is not considered a sport by the NCHSAA. If it were, the same rules would apply that you could have limited numbers of athletes attend "conditioning and/or workouts" which are specifically prohibited from being a "practice" and cannot be mandatory, like soccer, football etc do until the August 1 date where practice is permitted to begin.

Although the NCHSAA did just approve a two week practice period in the spring for football, but that's for football only.

Since cheer is not a "sport" officially, they can have legit practices that are required all summer long. Official sports can't do that and have to wait until the starting day for that season (usually about 2-3 weeks before Their first game).

Just in case anyone out there is salty that cheer isn't a sport. Try not having practice until August and competing in November.
EXACTLY. This is why I'm not completely happy about cheer being made a sport. If the season/practice restrictions could be removed, I would be ecstatic.

You only get the charity money if you are part of the one Senior division that was picked for that at the beginning of the year. The rest of the Divisions do get bragging rights and maybe a medal???

(Momager beat me to it!!!)[/QUOTE

Nevermind. I confused it with Champions League. Here is a link to the Varsity Triple Crown.

Varsity All Star - Varsity All Star Triple Crown

*Jumps in with Maine info*

Cheerleading is a sport in Maine, just like soccer, field hockey, and swimming. There are two seasons, Fall and Winter. Fall does not compete, and the only function of the Fall cheerleading team is to support the Football (...or soccer or whatever) team. There is a two-week preseason for all sports that begins the third and fourth week of August before school starts. (Most Maine schools start either the last week of August or the day after Labor Day, except some schools up north start a little earlier because they get a harvest break to pick potatoes.) You are not allowed to choreograph anything for Winter cheerleading during the Fall season.

Winter cheerleading does not have a preseason, requires a second tryout, and is both the competition cheerleading team and the basketball/hockey cheerleaders. A person cannot partake only on a competition team and must also be on a team that supports a sport. Most schools have one squad (with alternates) for basketball/competition, but some bigger schools have separate basketball/hockey squads and a competition squad consisting of the best members from each "supportive" squad.

Competitions are done by the middle of February, and the top three teams from each class advance to New Englands.

Also, we call the final competition "states" in Maine, as opposed to "state." (I didn't realize this was unusual until I watched Friday Night Lights and everyone rejoiced about how "we're going to state!!")

Back