All-Star Cutting Travel Costs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mamarazzi

Ultimate Grand Supreme '12
Cheer Parent
Mar 16, 2011
This thread could likely be my Bible this season...

Anyone have any ideas about how to cut costs while traveling to comps?

Does it pay to join hotels/airlines "Reward" programs?

What's the best way to raise extra money or save for comp season?

I know there have to be some "Coupon Queens" on the board that have this down to a science!

Become friends with me, I work for a hotel :)

But seriously, my close friends that travel with me I am able to share my employee rates with but I can only get a limited number of rooms so sometimes my friends have found great deals on priceline. Especially if you are willing to drive 20 minutes to the venue.

Also there is a website that will tell you what hotel you are really bidding on with priceline. I'll have to find out what it is and pass it on.

This year we switched our credit card to a "miles" card and we have started putting EVERYTHING on the card, including our normal bills and I just pay it off every week. So in essence we use it like our check card.

I was going to ask if you have any close friends/families who are hotel employees. REALLY good, less-than-motel-8 rates that way. We stay at places with free breakfast. We usually get a suite and stock the fridge with sandwich supplies and beverages. we sneak food into comps.
If it's just me and CP, I can share my room with someone and in exchange that someone drives and pays gas and sometimes picks up a meal or two (depending on the driving distance).

But seriously, my close friends that travel with me I am able to share my employee rates with but I can only get a limited number of rooms so sometimes my friends have found great deals on priceline. Especially if you are willing to drive 20 minutes to the venue.

Also there is a website that will tell you what hotel you are really bidding on with priceline. I'll have to find out what it is and pass it on.

This year we switched our credit card to a "miles" card and we have started putting EVERYTHING on the card, including our normal bills and I just pay it off every week. So in essence we use it like our check card.

I was able to use my credit card points for my flight home from worlds, and I'm just a single person (also not a miles card, just a points card). If you're putting most of your family's bills on it, they'll probably add up quickly!

Plus, if you're traveling a lot, sticking to one airline and one hotel and acquiring points probably is worthwhile. Depends on if your gym can get you cheap group rates or not.

I've found that it's usually better to book through the hotel directly. Then if prices drop (which actually just happened to me), they're more likely to give you the better rate than orbitz/expedia/etc. I've also run into a hotel not having my reservation when I've booked through expedia.

And it's always nice to have a friend, my friend who works for marriot has gotten me cheap rooms before too :)

Not sure if this is the site you are referring to or not, but I LOVE this website forum. It gives you exact strategies on how to bid on Priceline and I use it for a ton of my business travel. Have gotten great deals on really nice rooms.

BiddingForTravel.com Forums

Agree with everything above :). The majority of our comps involve at least one night in a hotel so I'll pack a cooler with deli meat/cheese/fruit/veggies for a healthy lunch along with a case of water (or two). Another great website for help in Priceline/Hotwire bidding is Priceline and Hotwire Forum. Very helpful group!

If you have to fly, There is a Chase saphire credit card. Free for the first year. Both me and hubby have gotten it. 1 time we had to spend 750 dollars and we got 50,000 miles- any airline and another time we just had to use it once to get 50,000 miles. My husband is going to south america for free. Be sure to cancel it before the year is up! I am lucky that hubby works for a hotel chain and I get great deals also. Definately try to stay where breakfast is included and share a room.

I find that often we get a better room rate with military discount than the block rate.

We bring food as much as possible instead of eating out.

Share a hotel room and carpool when possible.

I have a Southwest Airlines reward account. Mostly because that is the only airline I will fly but also because I accumulate my points VERY quickly. So far, I've gotten free flights down to Worlds twice. They also have a Visa card that gives you enough points for 2 flights just for spending a certain amount in 3 months.

Also, BRING FOOD! Not only to Disney but to all venues. Most places don't check cheer bags, which is perfect to hold a bunch of water, sandwiches, fruit, and whatever else you want to snack on.

We pack toaster (bought separate for travel)to have bagels w/ cream chz for breakfast, which also allows more time to get ready in the am and i know the girls have something solid. Also lots of snacks, drinks, tuna kits, uncrustables (for lunch) and ramen cups ( I know not the best but cp is always hungry late after comp nights and if there is no microwave you can run the water through the coffee maker). If the venue doesn't allow food I always send that bag through with cp then get it from her lol. Doing this I only usually have to pay for dinner which sure beats 3 meals.
We also try to share rooms and we split the cost in half. Room blocks help save too and anyone can set them up. If we drive the non driver pays tolls n we split gas.

I travel very similarily as cheergirlbrey......It also helps that I have cheer momma friends who work for hotels, get govt rates at hotels etc..... I have started to coupon to try and save $$ that can be applied to cheer, I will let you know how that goes...lol

We pack toaster (bought separate for travel)to have bagels w/ cream chz for breakfast, which also allows more time to get ready in the am and i know the girls have something solid. Also lots of snacks, drinks, tuna kits, uncrustables (for lunch) and ramen cups ( I know not the best but cp is always hungry late after comp nights and if there is no microwave you can run the water through the coffee maker). If the venue doesn't allow food I always send that bag through with cp then get it from her lol. Doing this I only usually have to pay for dinner which sure beats 3 meals.
We also try to share rooms and we split the cost in half. Room blocks help save too and anyone can set them up. If we drive the non driver pays tolls n we split gas.

I love the toaster idea. We usually pack poptarts and the individual packages of breakfast cereals but I may be going this route this season for breakfast. We also throw in a few just-add-water & cook in the microwave Mac & Cheese cups; even when the room doesn't have a microwave they may have one downstairs you can use. And plenty of snacks and drinks - but why do things in the vending machines always look better than what we have in the room?

Back