Discovering My Destiny

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

E

Editor

Read Full Article...

When I signed up for the local recreational cheer squad, I thought it was going to be something I tried just to say I did it. I have to admit, I wasn’t very good at first. I was tall and lanky, lacking coordination, and was so shy around my team I found it hard to fit in. I remember after my first year, I almost gave up on it all together. I decided to give it another go, and something finally clicked-and I haven’t looked back.
When I got to high school, I became the cheer guru. I could tell you about every squads opening, stunt, pyramid…okay, I could tell you what song was used in the tumbling section 46 seconds into the routine for just about any all star or high school team. Cheerleading was my first love, and when I had the opportunity to join UCA Staff, something deep down told me I could continue to do what I love as long as I allowed myself.
After college graduation and five years of having the time of my life with UCA, I realized all good things must come to an end, and accepted a job in Atlanta in the advertising industry. I loved my new job but something in the back of my mind kept bugging me-was I really done with cheerleading forever? How could I be done so abruptly? I saw my friends still cheering and working for UCA, and something still didn’t feel right. Three months into my new job I received the phone call that changed my life forever. I received an offer to work full time at Varsity Headquarters in Memphis. I froze, and realized that this is exactly what I’ve worked for ever since I stepped foot onto that blue mat, wide eyed and scared out of my mind over 10 years ago.
Cheerleading is so much more than jumping up and down and yelling “go team”. It’s LIFE. As a cheerleader, you change lives, meet your best friends, and learn valuable life lessons that can be used every day, especially in the working world. I’ve learned to adjust to change in the blink of an eye, work well with others, and of course, stay positive no matter what the situation is. Over the next few weeks as I begin my journey as a full time Varsity employee, I’ll continue to be thankful that I had the courage to join the cheerleading squad in the first place, because without it, who knows where I would be, or who I would be today.
-Tayler Easton
The post Discovering my Destiny appeared first on .

Back