Do You Look Down On Small Gyms?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 2, 2012
I cheer at a small gym and have many friends that cheer at large, popular gyms. Knowing I cheer at a small gym, and they don't, I feel like they kind of look down on me like I'm not good enough to go to a larger gym. So, what do you think about small gyms?

i cheer at a small gym n i love it. our whole gym is like a huge family from the tiny teams to the senior teams

Reactions: VTX
I agree with OAcheerleader ! My gym is a smaller gym, but we are pretty good (imho) and the WHOLE gym is a family! The coaches listen to the athletes and all the cheerleaders bond!

I think that routines speak for themselves. No matter if a gym is small or large, they will gain respect if they are clean, demonstrate good technique for skills, and have aesthetically pleasing choreo. Sometimes I believe the "small gym" categories are almost more challenging than regular competition categories, because small gyms can get quite innovative with skills/routines and literally pop up out of nowhere. They can raise great kids and be a real center in their community. That being said, there are also three times as many "podunk allstars" that give all the wonderful small gyms out there a bad name unfortunately. It's typically a mom/dad/rec coach/crazy person that leaves a well run program to start their own because they believe "they can do better!".....the result is back-frog-springs, terrible technique, and scary stunting, which makes everyone cringe at competitions. These gyms don't last long in business, but the negative connotation with small gyms remains with everyone that saw that team at competition and results in them associating teams like that with all small gyms. It's a shame, as there are many great small gyms out there!

As someone at a large gym, I don't "look down" on small gyms. There are many kids from large gyms that go the smaller ones for privates, etc. As stated above, its the routine and your program's actions that "represents" you. I have seen many quality small programs, but I have also seen some that leave me SMH constantly.

I do find it obnoxious to to be at comps and the small gym parents with extremely loud noise makers, crazy outfits, huge signs and worst of all, blocking whole sections of seats as if this is a "small" comp. At big comps...you don't do that. If you want respect, act like it.

Your friends may look down on you, because they feel superior. But honestly, I would never look down on someone for cheering at a small gym. I cheer at a small gym myself, and I love the family-feel. I also find that I get more one-on-one training than I probably would at a larger gym. It's all about whatever suits you the best.

Nope, I know my kids prefer what is considered a small gym over the larger ones.

What I kinda look down on is a small gym that continuously puts thier kids into competitions they have no business being in. It's not all about winning but 14th place and not a single top three finish for two years just hurts.

I prefer small talented gyms over large saturated gyms anyday.

Oh and if your friends look down on you or make fun of you for where you cheer, they're not really your friends. IMO

We actually just relocated here from a small gym to a large gym.. The small gym was like a family, very close. And actually very competitive, placed 1st in last three competitions out of town. The large gym is also very competitive. I agree with the poster who said its the quality of the program, not the quantity;)

I cheered at a small gym that ended up merging with a larger gym.... i hated it, it just didnt have the family feel at all the competitions.

Back