All-Star Do You Think We Need Tighter Security At Cheerleading Competitions Because Of Recent Events

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Went to see star wars today. We live in the suburbs of Atlanta about 30 miles south of downtown. They were checking bags and there were armed police officers there. It is just sad how our world has changed. Sadly I do think that it would be appropriate for the cheer competitions to take reasonable security measures. My kids have medical issues and dietary issues. They have to bring in food to competitions. We had bag checks once. I put all the embarrassing medical stuff on top and have never had an issue with bringing in food. I doubt that will change

Thats good to know. My english final exam paper was on Do movie theaters needs to increase security and install metal detectors due to the shooting we had in a town here?

Thats good to know. My english final exam paper was on Do movie theaters needs to increase security and install metal detectors due to the shooting we had in a town here?
I was a bit surprised when I saw the sign about bag checks and saw the armed police officer (real cop. not a rent a cop) yesterday. I understand why and everything. It is just really sad that it is needed.

Went to see star wars today. We live in the suburbs of Atlanta about 30 miles south of downtown. They were checking bags and there were armed police officers there. It is just sad how our world has changed. Sadly I do think that it would be appropriate for the cheer competitions to take reasonable security measures. My kids have medical issues and dietary issues. They have to bring in food to competitions. We had bag checks once. I put all the embarrassing medical stuff on top and have never had an issue with bringing in food. I doubt that will change

When I went to see Straight Outta Compton last August they had police presence everywhere [emoji19] and no bag searches.

I was shocked about Star Wars. Not the security measures but more so the fact that people were allowed go into the threatre in full costume with masks on. I ran into a group in a parking lot and although impressed to the dedication to their fandom (you won't catch me going to see a Star Wars film), I was shocked that it was allowed, or that they would even think it was allowed. There is a law in SC about adults wearing masks but when mentioned people (police) are never clear on the actual law and what it entails (case in point during the height of our confederate rag drama, a masked man was on the State House grounds and when my mom asked a state trooper he wasn't sure what the protocol was)
7ca1afaf8b47ddb69f7e0b19f2330382.jpg

Anyway. My anxiety would have caused me to walk out of the movie had I seen those people in costume walk in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's very easy for all of us to think all star cheer is actually relevant to anyone on the outside. It's not. I think Pop Warner is more heard of then AS. Sorry that's just how it is. Read any article related to cheer and 97% of the comments will be about high school. The "cheerleading" associated with America is the DCC, they are high profile and travel internationally. If an attack were to happen it would be the NFL, the Olympics, ect.
Home grown terrorists are going to go for soft targets...schools, theatres, offices, hospitals, ect. I am a thousand times more concerned about a hospital being attacked then Dallas Convention Center.
I also think the idea that you are safer with concealed carriers around is false. How is a tactical officer supposed to know who is a friendly in an active shooter situation if you have multiple people shooting at each other? Add in the fact that it's easy to get a cwp in states that allow them.
Situational awareness can go a long way and doesn't involve raising a generation complacent with fear mongering and surveillance. That's why I HATE that stupid "Elf on a Shelf". You're teaching children at a young age that being watched is okay and if you don't fight it you get a present.
If you see something, report it. Don't have your face in your phone 24/7. Check my bag but unless I'm getting ready to go 30,000 ft in the air you can keep your metal detectors and X-ray machines.

It's very easy for all of us to think all star cheer is actually relevant to anyone on the outside. It's not. I think Pop Warner is more heard of then AS. Sorry that's just how it is. Read any article related to cheer and 97% of the comments will be about high school. The "cheerleading" associated with America is the DCC, they are high profile and travel internationally. If an attack were to happen it would be the NFL, the Olympics, ect.
Home grown terrorists are going to go for soft targets...schools, theatres, offices, hospitals, ect. I am a thousand times more concerned about a hospital being attacked then Dallas Convention Center.
I also think the idea that you are safer with concealed carriers around is false. How is a tactical officer supposed to know who is a friendly in an active shooter situation if you have multiple people shooting at each other? Add in the fact that it's easy to get a cwp in states that allow them.
Situational awareness can go a long way and doesn't involve raising a generation complacent with fear mongering and surveillance. That's why I HATE that stupid "Elf on a Shelf". You're teaching children at a young age that being watched is okay and if you don't fight it you get a present.
If you see something, report it. Don't have your face in your phone 24/7. Check my bag but unless I'm getting ready to go 30,000 ft in the air you can keep your metal detectors and X-ray machines.

We also keep the Elf on the Shelf out of our house for a similar reason.

I would have never looked at EOS like that, very interesting perspective.

The same things said about the elf on the shelf can also be said about Santa (he sees you when you're sleeping and know if you've been bad or good....naughty and nice lists) and even many religions (diety that knows and sees all and serious consequences for not living up to the standards). If you are looking to find something negative about something, it is easy to find if you look hard enough.

We have an elf in our house because they had one in my youngest child's preschool class. My kids like that it moves every night and the "magic" of Christmas. Other than that there has been very little behavioral benefit to the elf.

The same things said about the elf on the shelf can also be said about Santa (he sees you when you're sleeping and know if you've been bad or good....naughty and nice lists) and even many religions (diety that knows and sees all and serious consequences for not living up to the standards). If you are looking to find something negative about something, it is easy to find if you look hard enough.

We have an elf in our house because they had one in my youngest child's preschool class. My kids like that it moves every night and the "magic" of Christmas. Other than that there has been very little behavioral benefit to the elf.

The argument is similar and not in the same breath. Yes Santa and 'God' (or variations depending upon the religion practices) look down on us to 'watch' behavior, the Elf is a physical thing in your house that children can watch as it 'watches' them. That is an entirely different form of surveillance that Santa and most religious figures don't have in common.

I've read the articles and I'm forming my own opinion:

I think the EotS theory is absolutely, positively ridiculous. Preparing children to live in a future police state?! Like that is stretchhhhhhhhing it.

Regardless of whatever theories anyone has on EotS and what it "teaches" I will never have one in my house for the sole reason that I think that little elf is creepy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back