All-Star Double Full Help! (tumbling)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 19, 2012
Okay i looked for a post similar to this on the board, but couldnt find one. sorry if its a double!

So, I have had a ro bhs full for almost a year and a half. The past 9 months or so, I have felt that my single fulls feel very slow. My trainer said that they were very fast, and this was a sign that ment that I could move on to doubles. I am trained by a hardcore gymnastics coach, so we both focus on correct body positions and shapes with progression. This summer I have worked very hard to achieve a double (my dream skill!!) and am consistently at 1 and 3/4. I am unsure of what I am doing wrong, I feel like I am pulling hard enough but maybe not?

Basically I wanted to see if theres any tips from anyone out there :) I really want this skill. I just seem to be stuck at that 1 and 3/4 mark on russian, tumble trak into ressi and floor. I set, hollow out, and position my body correctly according to my coach. She said that it just takes time to gain the skill. This happened to me when I first learned fulls. I slowly progressed from 1/2s to fulls, so this seems to be a pattern for my tumbling haha. I also know that I am trying to learn a skill over the summer (as I head back to college cheer where we have minimal tumbling training...) and am cramming a ton of tumbling time in. I am wondering if anyone else had this problem, and if so, what drills/ideas would help me? Thanks much!

A video would help, but if youre getting 3/4 of the way around it usually means that your hips may be spinning slower than your shoulders.

I feel you. My cp has been stuck on the same thing for months. It's now more like 1 7/8 consistently but it's not yet two. Snail-like progress getting from 1.5 to where he is now.

With him he either sets it well and spins slow or spins fast on a bad set. Generally when he has a "bad" attempt it's almost always because of the round off (head out) or handspring (too short/long or shoulders not at his ears). He'll pay more attention thinking ahead to the double and the handspring will get him.

The advice I give him is to RELAX and have fun with it. He's so stressed about getting it he beats himself up and can't hit anything. When he is just having fun and relaxed and NOT beating himself down in his head....that's when he makes progress.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Agree, a video would be key to helping evaluate your technique and provide any useful feedback. Blah-blah-blahing the standard list of corrections won't help you much.

I defiantly agree with a video! I'm not advanced enough to be working on fulls, but anytime I get stuck on a skill watching videos of myself & others seems to help.

Well first we do have a skills section on this forum that this would be best suited for.

Two, post a youtube clip

Third, the main reason people to not complete their twisting skills is because they are not in the correct body position.

Okay i looked for a post similar to this on the board, but couldnt find one. sorry if its a double!

So, I have had a ro bhs full for almost a year and a half. The past 9 months or so, I have felt that my single fulls feel very slow. My trainer said that they were very fast, and this was a sign that ment that I could move on to doubles. I am trained by a hardcore gymnastics coach, so we both focus on correct body positions and shapes with progression. This summer I have worked very hard to achieve a double (my dream skill!!) and am consistently at 1 and 3/4. I am unsure of what I am doing wrong, I feel like I am pulling hard enough but maybe not?

Basically I wanted to see if theres any tips from anyone out there :) I really want this skill. I just seem to be stuck at that 1 and 3/4 mark on russian, tumble trak into ressi and floor. I set, hollow out, and position my body correctly according to my coach. She said that it just takes time to gain the skill. This happened to me when I first learned fulls. I slowly progressed from 1/2s to fulls, so this seems to be a pattern for my tumbling haha. I also know that I am trying to learn a skill over the summer (as I head back to college cheer where we have minimal tumbling training...) and am cramming a ton of tumbling time in. I am wondering if anyone else had this problem, and if so, what drills/ideas would help me? Thanks much!

Back