All-Star Duel In The Desert Feb 2012 Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This comp was kind of a hot mess. They were calling teams to the warm up area to stage them for awards so I took my kids back there. After a while of no one even talking to us, I took them to the stage myself and they were starting awards...

The ushers were very rude. One man handled one of our girls for being in front of the stage.. Job to do or not, huge usher vs all star flyer is messed up.

I NEVER ever complain about Spirit Sports, it is my favorite competition of the season for many reasons, but for the first time ever I have complaints!!!!
1. The scores in lots of divisions were crazy out of whack! Teams that dropped or had over 1 point in deductions both days still won? Sorry their difficulty is not that much higher than anyone else in the divisions!!!! ???
2. They didn't catch OBVIOUS deductions that could have changed many placements. As a coach, knowing the deduction ranges for each "drop" or "mistake", then watching a routine and thinking in my head, "that's a 1.25 deduction score", and then reading, hearing, seeing what they got for deductions was just crazy!!!!
3. The ushers were beyond RUDE. The ones in the blue shirts. We actually had a major incident with one of them. One of our coaches who also cheer on the international open coed 5 still had her uniform on, came off stage and didn't have her coaches lanyard (since she just performed), and her team that she personally coaches was going on two teams after she went on. She walked into priority seating with another fellow coach and the usher told her that cheerleaders couldn't be in priority with coaches. She said I am a coach, I just got off tha stage. He snickered at her and told her to leave again. The other coach that was with her gave her a coaches lanyard and went to sit down while she stood right up against the stage. He then pushed her with his whole body in between the stage and her. It was ridiculous!!!! Then one of the event stage managers came up and got firm with him. He told him, "When you look at your pay check on top left corner who's name do you see? That's my company! I pay you. Don't ever disrespect one of my clients." It was crazy funny. Then they removed him from working that area!!!!! Our coach was pretty shaken up about it!
4. They need to figure our how to better get people in and out of priority seating. I'm all for priority seating since I love having ah uge crowd behind me when I'm cheering on my teams.... but it MUST BE FOOLPROOF!!! At times I felt like I was at Disneyland. That convention center is not that wide - and moving parents into priority seating was like herding cattle. The aisles weren't big anough on the sides of the stages and that's whwere most people walked. There were lots of empty seats so maybe they should sondense the seating amount and make bigger aisles.

By the way the scores for international coed 5 after day 1 was:
1. Cali Inspire. RAW SCORE - 96.77. % of PERFECTION - 96.77. DEDUCTIONS - 0.0. TOTAl DAY 1 SCORE - 96.77
2. Cheerforce Nfinity. RAW SCORE - 96.32. % of PERFECTION - 95.82. DEDUCTIONS - 0.50. TOTAL DAY 1 SCORE - 95.82

Now I don't have day 2 scores on me - but I could get a hold of them. On day 2 I do know that Cali Inspire had a 0.25 deduction for a stunt bobble. They didn't catch the toe full fall on the left. Don't know Nfinity's deductions either on day two or scores. I will look when I get scoresheets.

Many years ago it was called Battle by the Bay and was in San Diego at the convention center there. I prefer downtown San Diego to Palm Springs but it has been so many years I am not sure which venue I prefer. And since Comic Con is held at the San Diego convention center I am going to assume it is big enough to handle us.
This is my all-time favorite competition. It was always a lot of fun! San Diego is just beautiful, the downtown Gaslamp area and Seaport Village have lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance, and the bay is right there - absolutely beautiful. I was there today with an out of town guest and it was picture postcard perfect!!

1. The scores in lots of divisions were crazy out of whack! Teams that dropped or had over 1 point in deductions both days still won? Sorry their difficulty is not that much higher than anyone else in the divisions!!!! ???

2. They didn't catch OBVIOUS deductions that could have changed many placements. As a coach, knowing the deduction ranges for each "drop" or "mistake", then watching a routine and thinking in my head, "that's a 1.25 deduction score", and then reading, hearing, seeing what they got for deductions was just crazy!!!!

4. They need to figure our how to better get people in and out of priority seating. I'm all for priority seating since I love having ah uge crowd behind me when I'm cheering on my teams.... but it MUST BE FOOLPROOF!!! At times I felt like I was at Disneyland. That convention center is not that wide - and moving parents into priority seating was like herding cattle. The aisles weren't big anough on the sides of the stages and that's whwere most people walked. There were lots of empty seats so maybe they should sondense the seating amount and make bigger aisles.

I couldnt agree more with this.. i had a small issue with one of the ushers but i just blew him off and let it go.. i wish someone would try to put their hands on one of my coaches, teammates, or parents you best believe i will go MADEA HOOD on their A__!

Back