High School Help For A Flyer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 22, 2011
I side base for my school, and my flyer doesn't understand that she needs to pick her foot up off my face and pull it in close to her leg for a lib. I've told her multiple times to stop kicking me in the face, but she still does whenever we do torches. Any tips on what to do?

She also has this thing with full downs where she doesn't like to ride the pop and clenches her hands into fists that somehow always find my face. Any tips on that?

I've told her so many times that what she's doing is incorrect and hurts, but I guess she made bad habits that "can't be broken" or does anyone out there think this can be changed?

I side base for my school, and my flyer doesn't understand that she needs to pick her foot up off my face and pull it in close to her leg for a lib. I've told her multiple times to stop kicking me in the face, but she still does whenever we do torches. Any tips on what to do?

She also has this thing with full downs where she doesn't like to ride the pop and clenches her hands into fists that somehow always find my face. Any tips on that?

I've told her so many times that what she's doing is incorrect and hurts, but I guess she made bad habits that "can't be broken" or does anyone out there think this can be changed?
THIS. Oh my goodness. This is why double/full downs are my greatest fear.

Hers, I find, are terrifing to base because I've gotten hit so much. AND SHE DOESN'T GET A FIST HURTS MY FACE. wah :(

I feel your pain. We tried to teach my flier to double down during competitive season. Elbows/fists to the face are NOT a pleasant experience. :(

Hers, I find, are terrifing to base because I've gotten hit so much. AND SHE DOESN'T GET A FIST HURTS MY FACE. wah :(
hahaha i completely understand. Theres 2 of my flyers that always do it. They know they do and they feel bad they just dont know how to stop. The only thing i've noticed helps is having them rap both their arms to the left. Like have them glue their hands to their hip. Our coach says put both hands in your left pocket.

I feel your pain. We tried to teach my flier to double down during competitive season. Elbows/fists to the face are NOT a pleasant experience. :(

I'm just hoping there's a way to make her realize it's improper technique, ugly looking, and painful that DOESN'T involve me bleeding/breaking my nose.

hahaha i completely understand. Theres 2 of my flyers that always do it. They know they do and they feel bad they just dont know how to stop. The only thing i've noticed helps is having them rap both their arms to the left. Like have them glue their hands to their hip. Our coach says put both hands in your left pocket.

I believe that's how she was originally taught, I'm not sure. I'll say something about it at our next practice!

But this is more common than I thought!

take her back to basics!

For stepping on your face: do peg leg drills... go up on one leg but she needs to go up and keep her hips squared tightm with left leg held in "peg", she is not allowed to pull a body position until she can do this consistently!

And I agree with what was said about on the twist, pulling both arms in tight finding the left pocket! Try to get her to try and not catch herself and just keep wrapping.

If all else fails, threaten with conditioning! Normally gets my girls to do things they "can't do!!!"

Two ways that might help her ride the pop:
1. Face the side and get her to do a quarter turn to the front before she pulls her arms to to her left hip. Her arms should be in a T until she pulls and when she quarters to the front her feet should make a slapping noise as they pull tight together.
2. Get her to take a big breath - like one two down up SUCK THE AIR IN THEN PULL. You want to be able to hear her inhale, it will help keep her chest up and ride before she pulls (hopefully).

The only way we've found to help the elbows is to teach girls to double. Most of the time (some of the time?) flyers open up their arms and legs because they're trying to slow down the spin. If you pull to double, you have to keep everything tight and the backspot can come around the side to cradle so the flyer doesn't have to open her arms. That way she just keeps tight tight tight and all she has to do is keep her arms and legs in to make the double.

Take photos or video - sometimes you can tell her everything but until she sees it she won't realise how bad it is. That should help with the lib problem too.

Good on you for committing and catching her when elbows and fists are flying your way!

I third the hands in pocket approach to fulls. Try this drill, I've found it to be quite effective for teaching the movement, and keeping the arms in also: get your flyer to stand with her back to one of the thick rectangular gym mats, arms in either T or high V, whichever she is required to full from. Get her to practise falling back, waiting while she falls for a moment, then pulling her arms to her side quickly (to her pocket). This references the pause at the top, by not turning immediately and the arms need to be in or it's uncomfortable to land on often, also it's in a low pressure environment, unlike when performing the skill in the air and the stress can bring about reactions that result in poor technique, etc. :) Hope this giant ramble helps!!

Latest posts

Back