All-Star Help With Mental Blocks

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

RaRaMama

Cheer Parent
Jan 20, 2011
Hey all-I'm sure its been covered a gazillion times, but my CP is seriously struggling with a mental block with her bhs. She got started in allstar late-she'll be 13 in September. Since last year she's been working on her bhs, and since about April she's "had" it according to her tumbling coach. We moved in June, so she had to adjust to a new tumbling coach, but for the last two weeks he has said he's not doing anything-but she refuses to try without him there. She's had choreo for the last two days, and both her coach and I have been talking to her, encouraging her, etc. Other moms have been encouraging her as well, but now its like she has totally shut down.....thoughts? Advice? I've never tumbled, so I really dont know what it's like.

Hey all-I'm sure its been covered a gazillion times, but my CP is seriously struggling with a mental block with her bhs. She got started in allstar late-she'll be 13 in September. Since last year she's been working on her bhs, and since about April she's "had" it according to her tumbling coach. We moved in June, so she had to adjust to a new tumbling coach, but for the last two weeks he has said he's not doing anything-but she refuses to try without him there. She's had choreo for the last two days, and both her coach and I have been talking to her, encouraging her, etc. Other moms have been encouraging her as well, but now its like she has totally shut down.....thoughts? Advice? I've never tumbled, so I really dont know what it's like.
Seems like your daughter and I are going through the same thing. Do you have a trampoline? My dad found a way to help me because i got mine on the trampoline... A great way is for her to know shes safe. That if she falls, the coach will catch her and not let her fall. My biggest fear is breaking my neck. So my coach just stands there as i do my BHS, and she'll grab you if you set wrong or look as if they are going to fall!

My daughter had a bad experience when she 8 with a tumbling instructor and literally stopped tumbling completely (she had just started working tucks at the time) She just started again in the past 2 months. :cheering: But it has been almost 4 years...

I tried everything, begging, bribing, ignoring and nothing worked. So I just asked her what tips she would give to someone in the same situation and she said "Don't push it. Just let it come, it will"

Wish I could offer you an answer, but I can't. Just know that I totally empathize!!

She's gotta want it, really and truly. With my mental blocks, it's come down to "You know what? I'm fed up with not having this." and I literally had to FORCE myself to throw it. I don't allow myself to not do it. I set a goal when I go into the gym and I refuse to leave until I've accomplished it.

Back