Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
My oldest daughter struggles with sever migraines. It effects her vision, she usually throws up, and ends up crying her self to sleep. We have been to the Doctors, tried different medicines, tried changing her diet (avoiding msg, etc.), and so far nothing has helped. I have noticed she tends to get them really bad / seems to be a trigger when she side bases. She loves cheer & isn't about to give it up. She is definitely needed as a side baser. Switching to a flyer or back spot is not an option or appropriate for her. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent them? P.S. She does get them even when it is her off days. So, quiting cheer would not solve the problem. I have just noticed, she is almost guaranteed to get a severe one when she spends the majority of the time side basing during a practice. She says they start in her neck and move to the middle of her forehead very quickly.

My gut reaction is that it has to be connected to her looking up at the flyer for a long time, especially since it starts in her neck. I don't know a solution, but I think that needs to be explored.

Thanks for the reply. I feel so helpless seeing her in pain & not being able to make it any better.

Random thought from my wife that has migraines:

Llighting in the gym could be a real trigger, especially if they are the long flourescent tubes. Looking up during practice could cause problems. That might also explain why she could still get them other places.

I know some people who have had this problem but are non cheerleaders. My experience is that one person actually had a nerve problem and had to take a trial medicine that helped her tons. The other was in my art class and they were wondering if he had a brain tumor. It actually ended up being something with his vision and a brain tumor that was triggering the pain and migraines that would keep him out of school 3 to 4 days out of the week. I would definitely keep seeing a doctor until you find out why she is having these migraines because it may be something very serious.

Random thought from my wife that has migraines:

Llighting in the gym could be a real trigger, especially if they are the long flourescent tubes. Looking up during practice could cause problems. That might also explain why she could still get them other places.

If it is the lighting, I wonder if wearing sunglasses would be appropraite or help?

I know some people who have had this problem but are non cheerleaders. My experience is that one person actually had a nerve problem and had to take a trial medicine that helped her tons. The other was in my art class and they were wondering if he had a brain tumor. It actually ended up being something with his vision and a brain tumor that was triggering the pain and migraines that would keep him out of school 3 to 4 days out of the week. I would definitely keep seeing a doctor until you find out why she is having these migraines because it may be something very serious.

So far, I have seen 2 different Doctors. They both said they feel they are genetic and have tried different preventative medicines from anti depressants to raise serotonin levels (even though she is a happy child with the exceptions of the migraines) to depakote (a seizure medicine known to help prevent migraines). I keep coming back to her complaints about them starting in her neck. We keep a food and activity journal. When she side bases for long periods of times , she always leaves with a severe migraine. But, as said has also gotten them on non cheer days. I will definitely keep trying to find her help and relief from her pain.

If it is the lighting, I wonder if wearing sunglasses would be appropraite or help?

That could work outside the gym and is worth a try. In the gym, see if you can find some tinted sport goggles.

And it still might be just from having her neck at that angle for extended periods.

Make sure her coach knows. And have her not look up unless she is actually stunting.

All of this might seem weird and might not resolve the issue, but it's worth a try.

That could work outside the gym and is worth a try. In the gym, see if you can find some tinted sport goggles.

"tinted sport goggles" That is a good idea, we will have to try that!

I really hope one of these helps.

Have they ordered an mri to check for other issues or are they just trying medicine? I would push for a cat scan or mri. Is she getting enough fluids on the days she works out?

I asked about an MRI or cat scan, but was told no. Yes, we are extra careful to make sure she always gets lots of water. On her tumble class day & on days when girls are missing and the end up just focusing on tumbling the migraines aren't usually an issue.

Back