Higher Jumps?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 12, 2012
Ok so..

My toe touches are shocking, like, they are just past average jumping jack height and I don't know how to improve them, they seem to be getting worse.
In the routine we have to do toe touch x2 then right hurdler. My hurdlers aren't bad, but because of how weak my toe touches are, I am unable to get the power for my hurdler, so it ends up looking not-so-great. Also, later on in the routine I have to do a toe touch while the person infront bobs down and I'm pretty much in the centre, so some attention will most likely be on me.

My competition is Nov 24th and I really want to improve them so they look acceptable, not crazy good, but good enough.

Please don't suggest them rubber band things as I am unable to order online so that would be no use to me.

Help me! Please :(

It's usually a strength thing rather than a flexibility thing. I suggest hip flexor exercises! Sit in a straddle, put both of your hands in the middle, lift one of your legs straight and make small circles in the air 10x. Do the other leg, then both at the same time. Word of warning: they are HARD and they HURT. But they work so well!! Also, I sometimes do jumps in the pit at the gym. If you have good jumps in there, you'll have great jumps on the ground!

Practice your toe-touches with ankle weights, even if just on a trampoline. When my cp does that and then takes them off, you can see instant improvement.

Do v-ups like this:

but when you bring your legs up, bring them into a straddle like you would in a toe touch. This will build abs and hip flexors.

When you do this, really try to snap your legs out and snap them back in as fast as you can.

It's usually a strength thing rather than a flexibility thing. I suggest hip flexor exercises! Sit in a straddle, put both of your hands in the middle, lift one of your legs straight and make small circles in the air 10x. Do the other leg, then both at the same time. Word of warning: they are HARD and they HURT. But they work so well!! Also, I sometimes do jumps in the pit at the gym. If you have good jumps in there, you'll have great jumps on the ground!
We don't have a pit where we train:( I've done these before but I seem to get cramp in my legs when I do them at the same time?

I've heard this before, but how?

And thanks for the tips guys :)
Well, I'm not very good at explaining this because I never went to any drastic measures to get good jumps, I'm just one of those girls that naturally has good jumps. I'll explain each jump to you on how to get it better.

Toe touch: Do lots of hip flexor exercises like leg lifts. Also, obviously flexibility is needed, so do a lot of pancake stretches. The cardinal rule is to not drop your chest. It'll push everything down. You need to jump really high and get your legs in front of you, not out to the side. In order to get your toe touch in front, you have to tuck your butt under you. I've seen tons of flexible girls not have good jumps simply because they wouldn't get into the sitting position in the air.

Pike: Do the traditional pike stretch. Pikes are really hard for a lot of people, so it takes a lot of practice. For this, you need to drop your butt and jump with a lot of height and momentum.

I don't have anything for hurdlers except you need to stretch splits and grab the foot that is in front when you stretch it.

Well, I'm not very good at explaining this because I never went to any drastic measures to get good jumps, I'm just one of those girls that naturally has good jumps. I'll explain each jump to you on how to get it better.

Toe touch: Do lots of hip flexor exercises like leg lifts. Also, obviously flexibility is needed, so do a lot of pancake stretches. The cardinal rule is to not drop your chest. It'll push everything down. You need to jump really high and get your legs in front of you, not out to the side. In order to get your toe touch in front, you have to tuck your butt under you. I've seen tons of flexible girls not have good jumps simply because they wouldn't get into the sitting position in the air.

Pike: Do the traditional pike stretch. Pikes are really hard for a lot of people, so it takes a lot of practice. For this, you need to drop your butt and jump with a lot of height and momentum.

I don't have anything for hurdlers except you need to stretch splits and grab the foot that is in front when you stretch it.
What are pancake stretches? :confused:

Other than that, thankyou, this is very helpful!

We don't have a pit where we train:( I've done these before but I seem to get cramp in my legs when I do them at the same time?
I know, it hurts and it's weird! I'm no doctor so I can't tell ya why but I feel the same thing. I just have to ignore the pain and do them anyway (maybe in smaller sets though).

Back