Holding My Breath While Tumbling?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 13, 2012
I've been working on rbhs for a few months now, and I could never seem to have the energy to do make the full connection...I can do a solid standing, but no running. Then I realized I was holding my breath the ENTIRE time in an attempt to stay tight! Does anyone else have a problem like this? Any tips to help? I'm getting really discouraged because I've been working on this for a while and I can;t seem to master it :(

Dont get discouraged! Instead of just doing the skill, try talking yourself through it. If youve been holding your breath for example you could tell yourself stay tight, breathe, push through shoulders while your doing the roundoff back handspring. Dont overthink it, if you can do a standing a running should be easier. I was the exact same way, I got my standing first and was super mental about my running, but once I did the first one I realized how much easier a running handspring is. Good luck :)

I swear I hold my breath when tumbling and stunting...

Know the feeling! Try learning to breathe to counts, then lining up your tumble elements to those counts. If possible, try to breathe out as you push off your hands and in as you push off your feet - it'll make you tighter through the handstand portion of your flick.

I used to do this, it made me extremly dizzy, ecspecially when doing multiples, eventually I found how to breath out when I pushed off my arms off like Airtime said, it helps a lot, it gets you at least 2 breaths, the RO and BHS. Try to think push shoulders and air at the same time. Don't get discouraged you'll find what works for you!

Breathe in hard during the hurdle for your roundoff, and slowly let it out during your ro/bhs. Just keep practicing! Once you get the muscle memory for it, it'll become a lot easier and you'll feel more confident. Good luck!

Back