How Far Is Your Gym?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38404
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We just started driving 1 1/2 hrs each way to another gym carpooling with two others. We left a gym which was 10 minutes away ONLY because they didn't have a level appropriate team. We were with that gym for 10 years and it was a very very hard decision. We would never have left that gym if they had even the remote chance of having a level 5 team. To their credit they taught my cheerleader great skills and wished her well and asked her to visit often.
I hope the gym change went smooth for the family.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Coming soon, Cheer Dad's gofundme retirement account. Stay tuned

I hope the gym change went smooth for the family.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Coming soon, Cheer Dad's gofundme retirement account. Stay tuned
Thank you. So far it has been good. The athletes seem to be welcoming and excited to have the new girls. But I have to admit it seems very strange to be the "newby" after 10 years of Allstars. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thank you. So far it has been good. The athletes seem to be welcoming and excited to have the new girls. But I have to admit it seems very strange to be the "newby" after 20 years of Allstars. :rolleyes:
Former gym was understanding and I know what you mean about all of a sudden being the newbie after many years.

Is cp on a team at each or just checking them out?

CP cheers for the gym closer to our house (has for the past season and a half); but we are considering a perm switch to the gym further away. For right now, they offer the cheer classes she needs (stunt, tumble, technique) that our current gym doesn't have. Our biggest issue right now is figuring out what the Army is going to do to our family as far as moving this year goes, if that happens, then she may not cheer for either since we won't be able to commit to a full season before moving. But she'll continue to take classes at the further away gym until we leave.

Where she currently cheers is a gymnastic's gym with all-star cheerleading, the gym a bit further away is a true cheer gym. Had I know they exists when she fit got into cheerleading (as a Tiny), we would have never cheered with the closer gym and I would have always drove, but their PR sucks and we don't attend the same comps so we never saw them.

If she switches, I just want to make sure we'll be here through the full season---I can not see putting her on a team, to pull her mid-year for a move that we know is coming.

She is, by far, happier at the new gym and desperately wants to cheer there.

We have two gyms where I live both about 20 mins from where I live. But I can't seem to fit in. It's not my home... There's a gym that is 1hour and 30 mins away. Nationals champs gym. Should I cheer there? How long do you drive to get to your gym. Any advice please!
1 hour and 30 minutes is really 3 hours round trip. Which means you probably aren't going to be having much interaction with the kids from that gym outside of practice. And let's not forget that the 3 hour round trip is really 5+ hours including practice. Is it fair to ask your parents to take 5 hour blocks out of their time or do you think it's easier to try to make it work at a local gym.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

We drive 1 hour 30 minutes each way to a different state to get away from the drama and cheer craziness in our particular state. With traffic it can take 2 hours one way. I pass no less than 12 all star gyms on the way. She has been doing this for 11 years and CP just wants to be happy in welcoming environment and start really enjoying all star again.

1 hour and 30 minutes is really 3 hours round trip. Which means you probably aren't going to be having much interaction with the kids from that gym outside of practice. And let's not forget that the 3 hour round trip is really 5+ hours including practice. Is it fair to ask your parents to take 5 hour blocks out of their time or do you think it's easier to try to make it work at a local gym.

hmm I drove an hour and a half and I was close with a lot of team mates. I also know of a few world champs who make the trek out to their gym. It depends more on who is willing to drive and what kind of weather conditions you are looking at.

Some parents don't mind. We drove 2+ hrs each way 2x a week. Next years commute being a little longer.

Some parents don't mind. We drove 2+ hrs each way 2x a week. Next years commute being a little longer.

Also to add on. I traveled far for the gym I went to. Speaking for myself, I still communicated with the people on my team via text or internet. It's not like once i left practice I didn't seem for days. But I do get that there maybe a dynamic issue with your teammates. However, I also find it refreshing because if I had enough of the people at school or in my area I had my friends at my gym in another area. :)

20 minutes. I live in the country and my gym is right at the edge of town so I never have traffic! I know someone that drives 2 and a half hours to go to a reaallly good gym. She carpools with 3 other people so each parent only has to drive up there once a week. and there are several closer gyms. She cheered at them when she first started but as she got more advanced she moved on and loves it! If you decide you really like the further gym (and your parents are fine with the long drive), I'd switch.

The gym I tumble and stunt at and used to cheer: 20 minutes.
Where I'm on a team: 45 minutes from my old gym and a hour from home.

Back