How Heavy Is Too Heavy For Flyers?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

How heavy (in pounds) do you think is too heavy to be a flyer?

this is kind of an unfair question...there isn't really a weight (in pounds) that determines whether a flyer is too heavy to be in the air or not. Some of the flyers in my gym are tiny and others are bigger (they're still small, they just don't weight 10 pounds) and personally, I think our larger flyers are our better flyers. From what I've seen they seem to have better body control and lift a lot more than our smaller flyers.

We have something called "little flyer syndrome" and basically it's when the little flyers don't lift in the air at all because they assume they are tiny enough to where their bases can do it all)

It all depends on how your flyer holds themselves in the air.

monicanicole said:
this is kind of an unfair question...there isn't really a weight (in pounds) that determines whether a flyer is too heavy to be in the air or not. Some of the flyers in my gym are tiny and others are bigger (they're still small, they just don't weight 10 pounds) and personally, I think our larger flyers are our better flyers. From what I've seen they seem to have better body control and lift a lot more than our smaller flyers.

We have something called "little flyer syndrome" and basically it's when the little flyers don't lift in the air at all because they assume they are tiny enough to where their bases can do it all)

It all depends on how your flyer holds themselves in the air.

I agree with most of what you've said but not all tiny flyers have that attitude. They usually just don't have the physical strength to control themselves. When there is no muscle to squeeze it makes it difficult to even try. Now I HAVE seen my share of "I'm tiny, you're lucky to have me" flyers, but for the most part, the cases of my tiny flyer won't stand up could be attributed to weak muscle tone and lack of technique.

as long as a flyer can support her own weight and understands the technical aspects of being a flyer her weight shouldn't matter too much, we have flyers on my team who are taller/heavier than their bases but they are still great in the air and we have flyers who are tiny but harder to lift because they don't know how to support themselves. it all depends on their skill level

I definitely believe in the smaller does not equal better theory but obviously at a certain point when a flyer is too heavy it becomes too difficult to do certain things and the catch gets so uncomfortable. Obviously that limit is going to differ for every stunt group and depends on the stunt group's strength, skill, and experience.

But in my experience, backing & basing for my high school as well as sr. 5 teams I have flown girls anywhere in the range of 105-145. For all star at least, the bigger ones were usually the better ones. For hs it differed

It depends on the bases and back spot and if they are capable of pulling their weight. My flyer is 115 and about 5'3 while the other flyers on our teams range from 65 - 95 pounds and are in the 4 ft area. My flyer is the best we have on our team, and feels SO much lighter than the other tinier girls who don't pull their own weight because they know they're small.

My flyers so fat, she is the only one who can do the dunkin' donuts basket toss.

It doesnt matter how much they weigh... i once had a huge flyer; tall and big(not fat muscular) and it was difficult to lift her but she never fell due to having such good body control. So as long as they can controll themselves and not hurt their bases when they fall then i believe they can fly!

Back