College How Tall Is Too Tall For A Coed Flyer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 24, 2014
I'm about 5'5" -5'6", and I'm currently a high school sophomore. I've always flown and I've always been the best flyer, but I'm by far the tallest flyer on our team. The second tallest girl is about 5'2", and the third only 5'0". I haven't flown this year though, due to a few torn ligaments in my left knee. I doubt I'll be able to fly next year because of tiny incoming freshmen. I really really want to cheer in college (Baylor or Mississippi State), but am I too tall to fly? I know I'm a good flyer, I've been doing it for school and competitive teams since I was a little kid. But am I just too tall to do it any longer?!? I'm more of a coed stunter, but I'd be willing to cheer coed or all girl.

Your best bet for this question is to contact the coach directly and express interest in the program and go from there. Some colleges have 'restrictions' or 'ideals' and it will vary by school.

If you are a strong flyer and can also base height may be irrelevant.

Your best bet for this question is to contact the coach directly and express interest in the program and go from there. Some colleges have 'restrictions' or 'ideals' and it will vary by school.

See, I'm a terrible base. All I'm really good at is flying, and its what I love to do. The fact is, if I can't fly, then I don't really want to cheer in college

"Too tall" also depends on the talent pool too.

Example: 5'6 might be tall if every other flyer in the room is 4'11.

If there's a variety of heights, it's not as big of a factor.

See also: Flying high school and college coed are 2 different skill sets.

If we're talking all girl programs, the advantage often lies with girls who can do more than just fly.

I'm 5'5 and I fly on my co-ed college team. I based all throughout high school.

As long as you're not the only flyer trying out that's 5'6. Most schools want their teams to look "together" so if every other flyer is 4'11, they most likely won't put someone who is 5'6 up in the air. I'm 5'6 and a co-ed flyer so I understand. Start going out to schools clinics and make yourself known and maybe try basing or back-spotting! College teams like well rounded cheerleaders.

Besides, most schools don't have 4'11 only girls.. (besides Kentucky and Hawaii) ;)

See, I'm a terrible base. All I'm really good at is flying, and its what I love to do. The fact is, if I can't fly, then I don't really want to cheer in college
That attitude alone will hold you back. I suggest you reconsider your view and realize that...
1. You may be too tall and that's okay.
2. Basing may be where a team needs you.
OR
3. Cheering in college may not be for you.

Attitude really is everything. If you continue to tell yourself that you're a terrible base, you're going to be a terrible base. If you actually put your mind to it and try to improve, you have a much better chance of making a college cheer team.

If you can "only fly," you can only fill a limited role on the team that there are usually a million girls trying out for, but if you're good or adequate at several different positions, you fit many more roles. Consider this, if there are 20 girls on the team, there are at most 5 flyer spots open. However, if you're able to base too, suddenly there are 10 more spots open for your taking!

Just to be clear, I have this perspective as a former 5'5" flyer on a college team.

That attitude alone will hold you back. I suggest you reconsider your view and realize that...
1. You may be too tall and that's okay.
2. Basing may be where a team needs you.
OR
3. Cheering in college may not be for you.

Attitude really is everything. If you continue to tell yourself that you're a terrible base, you're going to be a terrible base. If you actually put your mind to it and try to improve, you have a much better chance of making a college cheer team.

If you can "only fly," you can only fill a limited role on the team that there are usually a million girls trying out for, but if you're good or adequate at several different positions, you fit many more roles. Consider this, if there are 20 girls on the team, there are at most 5 flyer spots open. However, if you're able to base too, suddenly there are 10 more spots open for your taking!

Just to be clear, I have this perspective as a former 5'5" flyer on a college team.
This exactly. Coaches really don't care for the "I will only fly" attitude and are less likely to choose a girl who refuses to try to base. Why would a coach who has hundreds of girls to choose from choose a girl who wants to dictate what she will and will not do on a team? They are looking for talented girls who are willing to do whatever they are asked to be a part of the team. They don't want drama and are not going to invite it in by choosing people who will "only" do this or that.

I totally get that a coach wants a well-rounded athlete...but what if your CP has never had the opportunity to learn any other position but flying? How do you get to be well-rounded if every year of your all-star and MS/HS cheer is spent being a flyer?

I am curious about this because my kid is pretty short and very flexible and has always been a flyer. Unless a growth spurt happens soon, I think it will stay that way. So...does that mean she has limited chances when it comes to college? She would LOVE to learn to base, but has never had the chance. Any advice or suggestions?

I totally get that a coach wants a well-rounded athlete...but what if your CP has never had the opportunity to learn any other position but flying? How do you get to be well-rounded if every year of your all-star and MS/HS cheer is spent being a flyer?

I am curious about this because my kid is pretty short and very flexible and has always been a flyer. Unless a growth spurt happens soon, I think it will stay that way. So...does that mean she has limited chances when it comes to college? She would LOVE to learn to base, but has never had the chance. Any advice or suggestions?
Stunt clinics for one. My CP is a base, and goes to them to improve basing skills. Also, if your gym allows it, look at crossing to another team to base.

Stunt clinics for one. My CP is a base, and goes to them to improve basing skills. Also, if your gym allows it, look at crossing to another team to base.
Thanks for the suggestions. No crossovers for her. I think the only place she would be big enough would be a youth team and she just aged out, so that's not an option. Our gym doesn't do stunt clinics, but I may look around and see if I can find another in the area that does.

Nope. She can focus on being the best possible all-around flyer. The "well-rounded" thing is less of an issue for teeny tiny girls because they are really only sized to fly. However, if a coach does ask your daughter to attempt basing, the best response would be, "I've never had a chance to try, but I'm happy to learn." It's all about the attitude, not the actual skills. Coaches just want someone who is flexible with the team in mind.

Back