College How Tall Is Too Tall For A Coed Flyer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nope. She can focus on being the best possible all-around flyer. The "well-rounded" thing is less of an issue for teeny tiny girls because they are really only sized to fly. However, if a coach does ask your daughter to attempt basing, the best response would be, "I've never had a chance to try, but I'm happy to learn." It's all about the attitude, not the actual skills. Coaches just want someone who is flexible with the team in mind.
She definitely would LOVE the chance to base. I know she would be thrilled to give it a try! Maybe she will have an unexpected growth spurt and get her chance!!!

When my daughter grew in height there were less opportunities to fly. That is just the way it is! She was disappointed at first, but she embraced the opportunity to learn how to base, both main and secondary. She found out she is a really good base and enjoys it quite a bit! Her coach says she is one if the most well rounded cheerleaders she has in the gym and once her injury heals and she can step up her tumbling I believe she will be an asset to a college team someday. Be willing to try something new. You may surprise yourself!

I totally get that a coach wants a well-rounded athlete...but what if your CP has never had the opportunity to learn any other position but flying? How do you get to be well-rounded if every year of your all-star and MS/HS cheer is spent being a flyer?

I am curious about this because my kid is pretty short and very flexible and has always been a flyer. Unless a growth spurt happens soon, I think it will stay that way. So...does that mean she has limited chances when it comes to college? She would LOVE to learn to base, but has never had the chance. Any advice or suggestions?

Maybe @BuegeSmalls can help with that. She had the opposite happen, sounds like, but I'm impressed she learned to fly AFTER high school. I can't imagine my daughter learning to fly ever, let alone after high school.

Well that is unfortunate. The girls who have the most success in making college teams are well rounded in basing and flying.

Good luck

I have a teammate on my team who only flew in HS, nothing elite but she only knows how to fly. In honest terms, she is not ideal flyer size, she knows it and is so willing to learn how to base, that our coaches often think she's joking. She bases with me for 221 pyramids..Meanwhile we have a base who, low and behold is a flyer! We went several weeks before she got thrown up in the air, and she bases my friend too. She is probably the better flyer between the two.

In fact almost everyone on my team is capable of doing different positions, it's so vital to us because my team is one of the smaller ones within the program.

Maybe @BuegeSmalls can help with that. She had the opposite happen, sounds like, but I'm impressed she learned to fly AFTER high school. I can't imagine my daughter learning to fly ever, let alone after high school.
Haha thanks I think it was easy for me because it was coed. I hate flying all girl. Just keep me at a prep please! As for going from a flyer to a base, make sure you get into the gym and start lifting! Small girls can base then just need to work on those muscles that they don't use while flying.

I totally get that a coach wants a well-rounded athlete...but what if your CP has never had the opportunity to learn any other position but flying? How do you get to be well-rounded if every year of your all-star and MS/HS cheer is spent being a flyer?

I am curious about this because my kid is pretty short and very flexible and has always been a flyer. Unless a growth spurt happens soon, I think it will stay that way. So...does that mean she has limited chances when it comes to college? She would LOVE to learn to base, but has never had the chance. Any advice or suggestions?

If she's a good flyer, I don't think a team would turn her away if she can't base. I think it depends on the program...some schools will want people who can base, fly, and back. But some schools will have people in set places

I have a teammate on my team who only flew in HS, nothing elite but she only knows how to fly. In honest terms, she is not ideal flyer size, she knows it and is so willing to learn how to base, that our coaches often think she's joking. She bases with me for 221 pyramids..Meanwhile we have a base who, low and behold is a flyer! We went several weeks before she got thrown up in the air, and she bases my friend too. She is probably the better flyer between the two.

In fact almost everyone on my team is capable of doing different positions, it's so vital to us because my team is one of the smaller ones within the program.
Your teammates are multi positional but you only fly?

Hey, Ally! Have you ever thought of cheering on a small coed squad? Small coed college squads are increasing every year and small coed squads have a mixture of female flyers, male bases, and female bases. That might be something to think about.

Well I am 4' 11" and when I went to a Kentucky clinic I towered over almost everyone ... I cheered at slippery rock and I was referred to as the "fetus" because I was so much smaller than everyone. I based my whole all star career. Yep that's right I based at a whopping 4'11". Never coed stunted until college. It's not always about size.. And if you want my honest opinion, I hate that some schools have a height limit. Youre telling me you'd rather take a mediocre flyer at 4'9" than an extremely talented one at 5'6"? I don't get that. Especially because a lot of schools with those rules also have HUGE guys on the team( which, like I said, size doesn't determine talent) but someone that big will have power naturally. It doesnt take a body builder to throw a girl around. I'm rambling... Anyway. Like its been mentioned, it might help to change your attitude. You never know what you might be good at. I said I never wanted to cheer in college or to fly for that matter and I absolutely loved it and found out I'm pretty good at it too. It helps to be well rounded and open to trying things, epecially if you want to go somewhere big. You need to decide your priorities and what you're willing to sacrifice and what you're willing to work towards.

I'm 5'1" and I'm about midrange for our flyers. There's one girl that 4'7", one that's 4'11", one that's slightly taller than me at 5'2" and one at 5'6". We are small coed and are competing at NCA. I feel pretty tall compared to the two shorter than me. I can base but they like me to fly because of my body type. It all depends on your coach

When I cheered in college, for our competition team there was one girl who was 4'11, one girl that was 5'2, another that was 5'3, one girl who was 5'5 almost 5'6, and then myself who was a little over 5'6 at the time (currently closer to 5'8).

The girls who were 4'11, 5'2, and 5'5 were strictly coed flyers but they flew group stunting every once in a while, but it was rare. The girl that was 5'3 (my roommate) and I could fly coed or all girl (or small coed) but we usually did group stunting.

It all depends on the school and who else is on the team.

Back