College Hpu Cut There Cheer Program???????

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My son cheers there and they just got out of a meeting. As of this moment they have cut the option of them competing at Nationals.....dont have any more information that that as of now...

Wow...I wonder what all those who have planned on attending HPU next fall will now do. That could mess up a lot of people's college plans.
So weird too because on the HPU twitter account the last tweet was about them winning.

I feel like they may have a leg to stand on with the timing of this. Announcing that they are eliminating the program when students have already signed letters of intent may put the university in a difficult position.

I know, I hate it for the kids that cheer there. Those kids work sooo hard to fund their program, Car washes, public appearances, show offs, t shirt sales and are responsible for raising so much of the money themselves !!! Maybe its just a hiccup and something will change whatever and whoever made the decision. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Especially since so many college tryouts have already occurred which means they have missed out on those opportunities.....UGH !!!:shaka:

I feel like they may have a leg to stand on with the timing of this. Announcing that they are eliminating the program when students have already signed letters of intent may put the university in a difficult position.

If they are just saying no nationals then I don't think there is much that could be done because they would still have a place to cheer just not compete.

Now that I think about it I think this is a thing that has been coming for a while. It started with slowly cutting back on scholarships and then they cut the all girl team and now this. A lot of athletes simply go for the scholarship and ring. This could be like the UMD thing where it is a way to save the school money.

If they are just saying no nationals then I don't think there is much that could be done because they would still have a place to cheer just not compete.

Now that I think about it I think this is a thing that has been coming for a while. It started with slowly cutting back on scholarships and then they cut the all girl team and now this. A lot of athletes simply go for the scholarship and ring. This could be like the UMD thing where it is a way to save the school money.

Still makes me very sad for these kids.....

Still makes me very sad for these kids.....

Oh it does me too. I absolutely hate to see this happen because HPU is such a powerhouse. Hopefully the school will work something out.

Is it the school that sends the teams to nationals or do they have to pay for that out of their own pockets?

To my knowledge the kids fund their trip through fundraising. I honestly do not have knowledge of whether the school pays any funds at all for their trip. A goal was set for each individual cheerleader for t shirt sales so that they raised the money to go to Nationals. As for the last 2 years I have been under the assumption that the school itself did not fund their trip at all but I could be wrong. I am waiting on a call back from him when he can talk. I certainly am not in any way trying to or interested in posting incorrect information....LOL

Back