College Hpu Cut There Cheer Program???????

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

They are doing what UMD did with the A&T team. The current members will continue to receive their scholarships until graduation but any new member will not have the scholarships. They basically have just lost a huge amount of talent that the school would get. How many of the athletes that were going to go to HPU will now move to schools like OSU, SFA, or Louisville where they have the chance of winning a national title?

This is a problem that is going to keep happening to schools who offer scholarships and funding from the school until the NCAA accepts STUNT/NCATA as a sport. The schools are pumping money into the programs and the price keeps going up but they are getting nothing in return. It is a shame, but it is a financial decision that the school either had to make or continue spending money without making any.

True, but when an athletic department is hurting for money then they cut the programs that bring them absolutely no money. The other sports can bring in some kind of profit even if it is small, cheer brings in no money.

Also the way it sounded in that release is that they will still be able to do UCA or NCA stunt competitions. It said individual competitions so to me that sounded like they can send couples to compete at that, or possibly go to Cheersport.

True, but when an athletic department is hurting for money then they cut the programs that bring them absolutely no money. The other sports can bring in some kind of profit even if it is small, cheer brings in no money.

Also the way it sounded in that release is that they will still be able to do UCA or NCA stunt competitions. It said individual competitions so to me that sounded like they can send couples to compete at that, or possibly go to Cheersport.
it would make my life if HPU went to cheersport!!

I mean technically we weren't under athletics until today, we were under student life. And we brought in profit from the students that came to HPU to cheer and dance. The program brought in tuition, and we do fundraise most of our way to nationals. I just don't understand myself what exactly they were talking about when they told us it was because of the budget.

I mean technically we weren't under athletics until today, we were under student life. And we brought in profit from the students that came to HPU to cheer and dance. The program brought in tuition, and we do fundraise most of our way to nationals. I just don't understand myself what exactly they were talking about when they told us it was because of the budget.

I feel like you would almost be better off if they just pulled the scholarships or let you compete but just make you responsible for the costs. My university paid for our uniforms and such and expected us to do all our games and appearances and didn't support us competing - but they didn't stop us as long as we were footing the bill. Granted its a lot more expensive to get to Daytona from Hawaii than Massachusetts, but removing financial support seems like it would achieve the same results for them while still allowing the program to retain its prestige. Even if you didn't give scholarships, cheerleaders whose parents were footing the bill would still go to hopefully get a ring.

You weren't bringing money into the University from the students going there to cheer unless they weren't on scholarship. The way the site reads you receive a tuition waiver, which means the school is losing money because you aren't bringing that money back in. Basketball brings in money from games just like Football. Cheerleading doesn't hold matches in order to bring in revenue.

My guess is some of the funds came from an athletic fund because your scholarships weren't academic and that is why athletics would become involved in limiting things.

It would make since for them to just continue allowing the team to attend Daytona but cut the scholarships if they are hurting financially. That way those that can pay to go to nationals can do so. Problem now is that incoming athletes aren't going to want to pay out of state to go to Hawaii and have to pay the high cost of living all while not being able to compete. I could see though that even if the scholarships were cut and NCA was still allowed, the number of athletes that would tryout would shrink because the lack of scholarship.

HPU is in a worse situation then UMD strictly because of how much it costs to go to HPU and live in the state of Hawaii. My dad's friend just moved here from HI and he said it was a weight off his shoulder to not have to pay such a high cost.

First let me say that I am extremely sad to hear about this whole situation. I coached at HPU for two years and the administration was so supportive of us, and I'm not talking about just financially. However, I do know that the money raised by selling t-shirts/calendars doesn't even touch the tip of the iceberg when paying for HPU to compete at NCA college nationals, it helps, but definitely does not cover. To my knowledge the scholarships already "pre-committed" will be honored but when I was there, scholarships changed every semester ( I hope for the kids sake that this isn't still the same for this situation ). I'm interested to see what all happens, try-outs are THIS WEEKEND and with all of this going on now it puts kids in an awkward spot. I actually got a call from a parent at another gym that asked if I heard/knew of anything bc her daughter was IN FLIGHT to Hawaii. So, yes, her daughter was in the air, no cell service and when she lands she will find out her dreams aren't even a possibility.
What will happen with scholarships I don't know but I do know that you have to "try-out" for your scholarship!? So I'm still interested to learn more. I will say that HPU is a private University which means there is no "out of state costs" however, across the board it is much more expensive than your "State" college.
I HATE this for the kids!!! I also hate this for Savanna, the head coach, she was one of MY kids at HPU. She is such an awesome young lady and has done such an amazing job in her time there. I truly HATE this whole situation for her too, it is completely out of her control and she is heartbroken :( As I learn more I will share more, as of now there just isn't much.

I keep thinking of all the athletes I know that prematurely have HPU listed as the school they "attend" on facebook, my child included. I don't want to say dreams are shattered, but...
I wonder if the athletes 100% foot the bill for NCA, would they be allowed to go?

In the article for Inside Cheerleading they stated that members would be allowed to compete as individuals at NCA, I am guessing this includes their stunt groups. Technically if a team could raise all of the money including airfare themselves they could change their name to HPU All Stars, go to NCA in Dallas and compete out from under the university. Some of the high schools do this out here so they can compete in the All Star divisions.

Could they make an HPU Club Cheer team like Ohio State, Georgia and Florida do? I don't see any reason why if the cheerleaders pay for their own trips to Nationals that the school would say no....

I feel so bad for their athletes. Hoping a resolution is made soon for them to compete.

Back