College Hpu Cut There Cheer Program???????

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A member on twitter said that the only cut nationals out. So no more NCA, but they are going to fight it I guess.

Now the big question will be, what happens to the scholarships. I can't imagine the school still giving them to just cheer sidelines.

Our program was not cut, as of now we're just not able to compete. But were still here and going strong. :):rays:

What will happen with the scholarships? Will the school continue to give scholarships to just cheer sideline?

I see a lot of people either transfering or if they will be incoming freshman, finding somewhere else to cheer. That is a long way from home to just cheer the sidelines.

This is really sad...those that are already there are no longer going to compete? What if it was one of the main reasons they chose HPU? Committing to Hawaii and now having to consider transferring...that sucks. Not to mention many school have already had tryouts!

This is really sad...those that are already there are no longer going to compete? What if it was one of the main reasons they chose HPU? Committing to Hawaii and now having to consider transferring...that sucks. Not to mention many school have already had tryouts!

Yeah and transfering can be a HUGE pain in the butt. When I transfered I lost almost half of my credits which put me almost a year behind.

Many go to HPU for the NCA ring and because they get a tuition waiver. I see a lot of people no longer going to school there to just cheer sidelines. The cost of living in Hawaii is expensive for a college student so to pay all that just to cheer a basketball game won't fly for many.

If they are just saying no nationals then I don't think there is much that could be done because they would still have a place to cheer just not compete.

Now that I think about it I think this is a thing that has been coming for a while. It started with slowly cutting back on scholarships and then they cut the all girl team and now this. A lot of athletes simply go for the scholarship and ring. This could be like the UMD thing where it is a way to save the school money.

I'm wondering though if anyone who accepted a scholarship would try "breach of contract". I couldn't find any cases involving scholarship offers for a program that was then discontinued by the university. If finances are a concern for the University, sending the team to NCA, although more expensive for HPU than any other team-due to distance, is something that they could fundraise for. If they pull scholarship offers though it could get ugly. It's really late in the game to be trying to go to your second choice (even if you aren't talking cheer implications-straight academics)-everyone requires a letter of intent and a deposit by May 15. That's not even taking into consideration that many of the other top programs in the Nation have had tryouts already, or are in the next few weeks.

Back