High School Hs Team Not Allowed To Wear T-shirts For Breast Cancer Awareness

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't understand how it isn't 'age appropriate' for them considering high school girls (I am one myself) tend to have the curves the shirt is refering to, I know very few cases of breast cancer occur in women in their teens or early 20s, but breast cancer is the second most commonly diagnosed cancer in women under 35 in the UK. The shirt encourages checking for lumps which makes girls aware of what they should be doing to help their health so that in the future if they do find one, they could be diagnosed at an earlier stage of the cancer which increases their chance of survival.

I could understand the problem if the shirt was worded in a crude way or wasn't so much about the girls health and more about the body parts, but considering the shirts subject I thought it was worded rather tastefully. They could have chosen much worse words than 'lumps' and 'bumps'.

I'm not going to lie. I agree with the principal. I understand the intent wasn't to be crude or vulgar but to me the choice of wording comes off a bit callous almost. I think when it comes to Breast Cancer Awareness, when developing slogans people like to push the envelope. When I was in undegrad the people in my major came up with some BA shirt that I refused to wear..and for the life of me I can't recall the slogan.

At the end of the day something like "Fight like a Girl", "I Pink I can, I Pink I can" etc would've been more appropriate in that setting.

I also kind of find it tacky and disrespectful to authority that they want to pass out the shirts to "defy" Cruz.

I love them and think there's nothing wrong with them, I'd love one!!! He said it wasnt clear what the shirts were about? After a couple of surgeries, I say good way to get people to start talking about breast cancer which it the goal.

The fact of the matter is that breasts exist. This principal can dictate what the cheerleaders wear on the floor, but needs to honestly think about what back-lash the school would really have because of these shirts, and I don't think it would be much. "Save the ta-tas," "I <3 Boobies," all of these are perfectly acceptable to me and have garnered a great deal of attention for a disease that was once kept hush-hush because it related to women's breasts. Forget that. Touch them! They're yours!! If my Mom didn't touch hers, she wouldn't be a survivor TODAY!

The word "bumps" is a lot more friendly then having "I <3 Boobs" or "Save The TaTas" that many groups have on their shirts. It is a shame that they can't support the cause when a harmless shirt. My sorority's philanthropy was for the Susan G Komen for the Cure and we sold the "I <3 Boobies" and "Save The TaTas" shirts and I can say I proudly wear them all the time.

I'm with the principal on this. The team could have found a more appropriate way to support breast cancer awareness and research. I feel like shirts such as this one, the "I heart boobies" bracelets and "save the ta-tas" shirts are being worn by teenagers not with the intention of supporting breast cancer awareness/research, but as a a "free pass" to wear a shirt that says something borderline "risqué".

I think that the saying is not "risque" in any way. It does not have sexual connotations (such as the "save 2nd base") slogans I have seen. If people are afraid of the word "bumps", how do they deal with seeing the girls with actual breasts perform?

I am wondering if the school also censors the music that students are allowed to hear at the dance and proms that they hold? "My Humps" "My Milkshake" ect. they are far more sexual then seeing the word "bumps" because honestly that is all many high schoolers have anyway.

Would they also suspend a student wearing a I ♥ Boobie bracelet or a Save the Ta-tas bumper sticker on their car. If yes, then his case is justifiable. If not, it's unfair to the cheerleaders, whose slogan is much better than those two. I feel like the students are being punished for good intentions.

I'm with the principal on this. The team could have found a more appropriate way to support breast cancer awareness and research. I feel like shirts such as this one, the "I heart boobies" bracelets and "save the ta-tas" shirts are being worn by teenagers not with the intention of supporting breast cancer awareness/research, but as a a "free pass" to wear a shirt that says something borderline "risqué".
I wish I could shimmy this a thousand times

I hate how high schools act like kids are 7 years old. Everyone is aware girls have "bumps". I don't understand why people constantly try and act like it's not true. Stuff like this shouldn't be taboo anymore. Its 2011. People need to lighten up.

I live in Arizona and the school administration kicked out a local news station covering the the story and all of the students and parents that they interviewed. But they still let fans into the game with the shirts on, just not the cheerleaders.

Back