High School Hs Team Not Allowed To Wear T-shirts For Breast Cancer Awareness

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thank you for posting that, and everyone's comments.

Everyone has different judgement and views on what might look offensive. They could have chosen different words, although I personally don't feel like this was offensive. From my my experience I think that if the team would get a t-shirt approved by the school that is going to be displayed by the team for a school function, then this can hopefully be avoided.

@SharkDad , as much as I hate the idea of having to get "approval," I agree. There are ways of working within the system to affect change. Sometimes, though, I think calling attention to a taboo issue (by any means necessary) allows for more widespread dialogue. Every year, in October, it's another slogan that someone takes oiffense to. Which means every year, breast cancer awareness/research is at the forefront of discussion. And that's fine by me.
If Betty Ford had kept her battle with breast cancer quiet, would we even have this conversation? Frankly, I think we need to talk about colon cancer, testicular cancer and ovarian cancer just as much. Sure, it's uncomfortable, but just think of the possibilities for THOSE awareness tees and bracelets.

My mom and I talked about how this is an opportunity for EDUCATION. Without education behind the shirts, they may come off as risque. But if the school addresses and teaches the fact that many breast cancer survivors are alive because of self exams (feeling their "bumps"), then this can become an useful educational tool about a prominent health issue.

I really don't think that breast cancer is a "taboo" topic. Every October the country is inundated with pink EVERYTHING.
These "risque" slogans sexualize and trivialize a very serious and deadly disease.

The article mentioned that the cheerleaders were wearing these shirts to "raise money for cancer research". Here is my thing-if the team wanted to raise money for cancer research, were they selling these shirts to the general student population? (I couldn't find that info in the articles I read about this situation). If they weren't, then how much money were they raising when 16-30 girls bought a shirt from a company or another awareness foundation? They could have raised a lot more money by selling pink ribbons at school lunches, or just collecting flat donations in coffee cans at the game (send out 4 girls, in sets of 2) to walk the stands to collect money during the games-different groups in each quarter of the game. Or they could have set up a table at the game where they had a few girls and parents each quarter collecting donations, and handing out pamphlets on how to do a self-exam and pamphlets on info for how men should be checking as well. THAT would raise money and awareness.

Here's the thing. If the team wanted to wear those shirts to school, with a pair of jeans-this probably wouldn't be a problem. The problem is that they wanted to wear them as a part of their uniform, while they were acting as representatives of the school. That's the catch in this situation.

Here's an article from a breast cancer survivor that I found really eye opening (and hey, the picture is cheerleaders!): http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/magazine/14FOB-wwln-t.html

Oh, and April is Testicular cancer month....their color is purple......what if the boys baseball team wanted to wear purple shirts, instead of their uniforms, that said "Go play with your balls!" or "rub your nuts" ?

I really don't think that breast cancer is a "taboo" topic. Every October the country is inundated with pink EVERYTHING.
These "risque" slogans sexualize and trivialize a very serious and deadly disease.

The article mentioned that the cheerleaders were wearing these shirts to "raise money for cancer research". Here is my thing-if the team wanted to raise money for cancer research, were they selling these shirts to the general student population? (I couldn't find that info in the articles I read about this situation). If they weren't, then how much money were they raising when 16-30 girls bought a shirt from a company or another awareness foundation? They could have raised a lot more money by selling pink ribbons at school lunches, or just collecting flat donations in coffee cans at the game (send out 4 girls, in sets of 2) to walk the stands to collect money during the games-different groups in each quarter of the game. Or they could have set up a table at the game where they had a few girls and parents each quarter collecting donations, and handing out pamphlets on how to do a self-exam and pamphlets on info for how men should be checking as well. THAT would raise money and awareness.

Here's the thing. If the team wanted to wear those shirts to school, with a pair of jeans-this probably wouldn't be a problem. The problem is that they wanted to wear them as a part of their uniform, while they were acting as representatives of the school. That's the catch in this situation.

Here's an article from a breast cancer survivor that I found really eye opening (and hey, the picture is cheerleaders!): http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/magazine/14FOB-wwln-t.html[/quot. De]

My phone won't let me reply correctly; but missbee's first statement hits the nail on the head. It's not about being "ashamed" about breast cancer by any means. It is a topic that is openly discussed. This is a school. They were representing a school. They should have gone with more appropriate wording. It just comes across as very attention seeking.

The article mentioned that the cheerleaders were wearing these shirts to "raise money for cancer research". Here is my thing-if the team wanted to raise money for cancer research, were they selling these shirts to the general student population? (I couldn't find that info in the articles I read about this situation). They could have raised a lot more money by selling pink ribbons at school lunches, or just collecting flat donations in coffee cans at the game (send out 4 girls, in sets of 2) to walk the stands to collect money during the games-different groups in each quarter of the game.
Here's an article from a breast cancer survivor that I found really eye opening (and hey, the picture is cheerleaders!): http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/magazine/14FOB-wwln-t.html

The first article said the girls designed the shirts to wear at football games whilst collecting donations.

I also found that article eye opening and enjoyed reading it, so thank you for posting it.

Oh, and April is Testicular cancer month....their color is purple......what if the boys baseball team wanted to wear purple shirts, instead of their uniforms, that said "Go play with your balls!" or "rub your nuts" ?

I could agree with your point if the shirt said "Feel your bumps" rather than "Feel for lumps" as that would be a lot more sexual, but the slogan they chose was educational, whereas the basketball slogans are specifically sexual and don't educate guys on how to be aware of cancer symptoms.

I agree that this all could have been avoided by an "approval" required from administration. I am somewhat torn on this. I think sex and all things related have become way to comfortable in our society in general, BUT my grandmother is a THREE time survivor of Breast Cancer (just turned 85) strongest woman I've ever met, so anything that can be done to support awareness I'm a fan of but when is "anything" too much? Also this is at a high school where maybe it's ok for 11th/12th graders but maybe not for incoming freshman, also what about the 5 year old girl on the sidelines that her mom has to explain the situation to her? I'm not saying I agree or disagree I am saying that I see both sides.

From the article I posted: "The pink t-shirt, which displays “Gilbert Cheer” on the front and boasts the slogan “Feel for Lumps, Save Your Bumps” on the back, is the topic of contention. The cheerleaders were to wear the shirts during games while asking fans to donate to breast cancer awareness."

Getting approval for items that represent an organization is a positive lesson that could come out of it. A related lesson is that our actions can have consequences on others so their opinion matters.

If you are doing something on your own that does not represent anyone else, then you can do what you want, but be prepared to take all the consequences.

If you are doing something that represents a bigger organization, or can refleect on someone else, then the peoper thing to do would be to get the opinion of that other group/leader/administration. It shows respect for the organization and can get them behind you early on in a project rather than against you.

The article mentioned that the cheerleaders were wearing these shirts to "raise money for cancer research". Here is my thing-if the team wanted to raise money for cancer research, were they selling these shirts to the general student population? (I couldn't find that info in the articles I read about this situation). If they weren't, then how much money were they raising when 16-30 girls bought a shirt from a company or another awareness foundation?

I believe it said they were selling them the crowd at games, but I am not sure if they were going to do that before they got in trouble or not. I would think if they were using it to raise money that it was the plan from the get go.

I am also wondering is it normal for teams to not have to get approval from the school to make shirts to wear and sell? Where I went to school we had to not only get the school's approval but the school boards as well.

Last August when my nephew past we sort of ran into the same thing at the high school he attended. His friends and junior class wanted to make shirts to sell and donate to the charity that our family donated the money that was given to us. The school put up a fight about it at first because my nephew died of suicide and they believed that it would be glorifying it if shirts were sold and wore at school. The students contacted the state and were given permission to sell the shirts but the school is still not happy with it. We again ran into the problem just last month when they were denying any mention of him in his senior year book. They believe that anything that has to do with some controversial should be left out of anything school related. Once again the state stepping in because they believe that instead of hiding what happened it can be used to educate those in the school.

I know this is a little different but the point of telling it is that the parents and others supporting the cheerleaders can contact the school board and the possibly the state to see what can be done about allowing them to raise awareness. It may not be the way others would go back it, but it is a common way that many people recognize and this school is trying to take that away from them.

As a person who is currently battling breast cancer, I agree with the principal. It looks to much like attention seeking. I really wonder when I see all of this pink stuff, if people really and truly know where the money is going and what it will fund. In all honesty, I totally hate the entire pink campaign. There is too much ugly behind those pretty pink ribbons. Also, lung cancer kills more women than the leading 4 cancers COMBINED (including breast) and is the lowest funded.

OK, off my soapbox. ;)

Back