High School Hs Team Not Allowed To Wear T-shirts For Breast Cancer Awareness

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As a person who is currently battling breast cancer, I agree with the principal. It looks to much like attention seeking. I really wonder when I see all of this pink stuff, if people really and truly know where the money is going and what it will fund. In all honesty, I totally hate the entire pink campaign. There is too much ugly behind those pretty pink ribbons. Also, lung cancer kills more women than the leading 4 cancers COMBINED (including breast) and is the lowest funded.

OK, off my soapbox. ;)

lung cancer is not well funded because 80% - 90% of people who have lung cancer are smokers. it is WELL KNOWN that smoking causes lung cancer. NO ONE asks for breast cancer, people ask for cancer by putting cancer sticks in your mouth in the first place. Sorry, but having known multiple people die due to the lack of knowledge about breast cancer a few years back, I 100% support anything that lets women know to "check your bumps/tatas/boobies" because everyone needs to be informed in as many ways possible.

Here's my unrelated two cents:
Think how much money the NFL could donate to breast cancer research if they didn't waste a ridiculous amount of money on all of the random pink accessories for the players and cheerleaders. Breast cancer awareness has become way too commercialized and more about people trying to give the illusion that they care rather than actually caring. Who are you helping by wearing a pair of pink gloves during your football game or getting brand new pink poms to use for one month? It's not like slapping on some pink is going to magically cure someone. Take that money and do something significant with it!

Think how much money the NFL could donate to breast cancer research if they didn't waste a ridiculous amount of money on all of the random pink accessories for the players and cheerleaders. Breast cancer awareness has become way too commercialized and more about people trying to give the illusion that they care rather than actually caring. Who are you helping by wearing a pair of pink gloves during your football game or getting brand new pink poms to use for one month? It's not like slapping on some pink is going to magically cure someone. Take that money and do something significant with it!

I am going to take a wild guess here but I would bet those things the football players and cheerleaders wear were from a company that sends proceeds to charity. Like many things you by in the store this month that is pink a part of the profit from those items go to charity. There of course are some things that don't, but many of the big companies do. It is their way of showing support. You also have no idea who donates their own personal money because that isn't broadcast during a game.

lung cancer is not well funded because 80% - 90% of people who have lung cancer are smokers. it is WELL KNOWN that smoking causes lung cancer. NO ONE asks for breast cancer, people ask for cancer by putting cancer sticks in your mouth in the first place. Sorry, but having known multiple people die due to the lack of knowledge about breast cancer a few years back, I 100% support anything that lets women know to "check your bumps/tatas/boobies" because everyone needs to be informed in as many ways possible.

Since this is a cheerleading message board, I am not going to argue with you. However, your statement is EXACTLY the reason that lung cancer is underfunded. Approximately 20 percent of lung cancer victims are non-smokers. Among that group, women are two to three times more likely than men to get the disease and more women will die from it than breast cancer. Doctors don't know why. Hormones, second-hand smoke, diet, genetic factors and air pollution all are believed to be factors. I mentioned having breast cancer, but did not mention having had lung cancer as well. I am a life-long NON SMOKER and did nothing to deserve that cancer either. I did not ask for lung cancer and never once placed a "cancer stick" in my mouth. Please be more informed before you make such a rude and condescending remark. I truly hope you and your family are never touched by this awful disease.

I support breast cancer research as well, but feel that the t-shirt is inappopriate.

You put my thoughts into words I couldn't come up with.

@MyDaughterCheers-- God bless you. My mom is a breast cancer survivor and my grandparents died of colon cancer. ALL CANCER HURTS. My prayers are with you and I'm giving you a virtual hug for being such a strong woman.

My team and I just participated in a walk for breast cancer yesterday, and you do not know how many times I saw the survivors laughing and enjoying the various slogans printed on some of the tshirts that were worn at the event. I don't believe the girls were intentionally doing this to be "vulgar", I think they just wanted to raise awareness. This team is choosing to do the right thing and bring attention to the importance of screenings, and I think they should be applauded, not punished.

Since this is a cheerleading message board, I am not going to argue with you. However, your statement is EXACTLY the reason that lung cancer is underfunded. Approximately 20 percent of lung cancer victims are non-smokers. Among that group, women are two to three times more likely than men to get the disease and more women will die from it than breast cancer. Doctors don't know why. Hormones, second-hand smoke, diet, genetic factors and air pollution all are believed to be factors. I mentioned having breast cancer, but did not mention having had lung cancer as well. I am a life-long NON SMOKER and did nothing to deserve that cancer either. I did not ask for lung cancer and never once placed a "cancer stick" in my mouth. Please be more informed before you make such a rude and condescending remark. I truly hope you and your family are never touched by this awful disease.
if you had to pick one, what cancer would you support? breast or lung?

& my "rude" remark was to the 90% that give lung cancer to themselves!

@MyDaughterCheers-- God bless you. My mom is a breast cancer survivor and my grandparents died of colon cancer. ALL CANCER HURTS. My prayers are with you and I'm giving you a virtual hug for being such a strong woman.

Thank you. I really appreciate your prayers and support.

As a person who is currently battling breast cancer, I agree with the principal. It looks to much like attention seeking. I really wonder when I see all of this pink stuff, if people really and truly know where the money is going and what it will fund. In all honesty, I totally hate the entire pink campaign. There is too much ugly behind those pretty pink ribbons. Also, lung cancer kills more women than the leading 4 cancers COMBINED (including breast) and is the lowest funded.
Me too - on the battling breast cancer. May we BOTH win the battle! I have mixed feelings about the shirt, honestly. I'm thinking there could have been a better slogan to use, and agree with the fact that you have to run things by the school first. My daughter is also on a high school cheer team and last year I attended the "breast cancer awareness" game with a completely different frame of mind than I will this year in a couple weeks. I appreciate the awareness, and the entire team and their parents have been SO supportive. However, the whole pink campaign sometimes does grate my nerves too. I would personally like to have a little more available support from all these organizations who receive all this money for donations to the cause. So far I've gotten gas reimbursement and that's about it. How about grocery and utility money when you've been out of work for 8 months? And frankly it annoys the heck out of me right now to go into the grocery store and everything is pink and to have the clerk ask me if I want to "donate to the cause", after I've already punched "no" on the payment pad, without so much as looking up to see who it is he or she is asking for this donation from. Thank you, I've already donated both breasts to the cause.

I guess as far as the shirt goes it doesn't matter the cause it should be approved by the school first. I found it vulgar the whole "feel your nuts" suggestion in an earlier comment but I understand the way it was meant. So ya, I guess maybe the breast shirt could be construed negatively. So that's my 2 cents on that subject and I'll get off my soapbox now, ha ha!

Back