Hyperextended Knee Issue

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 18, 2012
Hey,
I am currently working on my one legged extended stunts.
However, i have hyperextended knees and so when i lock my knee it sorta bends backwards and so i feel more off balance and like i am gonna tip forward.

Any advice or ideas of how i can sort this problem out?

I had this exact problem. My knee was always sore after we did libs. The problem is most likely your hips, make sure they are square and directly over your ankle.

I have hyper extended knees too. However, if you are totally locked out, extended knees are a gift- they look prettier imo.

Remember to 'squeeze' your toes in your shoe. I find that this totally fixed my libs. Good luck! <3

Hyper-extension of the knee is the knee joint moving past its normal range of motion. The ligaments, tendons, and other tissues that make up the joint are supposed to keep the joint stable to prevent damage. If those tendons and ligaments are too loose you could be a serious risk for an injury such as a dislocation, or ACL tear if you land wrong when tumbling.

In the short term, a knee brace could limit the excess range of motion and protect your knee joint. But the best and most reliable way to protect your knees is improve the overall stabilization of your knee joints by strengthening the muscles of the leg.

In particular, since the quads extend (straighten) your knee, I would suspect that you need to strengthen your hamstrings which flex (bend) your knee. I would also recommend strengthening your lower leg muscles including your calves as well as your anterior tibialis (the muscles that flex your foot)

These are just my personal suggestions from my experience with exercise science and years of coaching. To get the best results, your should seek out the advice of a licensed medical professional such as a physical therapist so that you can prevent injuries before they occur!

Best regards,
Coach Matt

I have this problem of hyper extended knees. In one-legged stunts to lock my knee i concentrate on squeezing my thigh muscle, it works for me. But like Matt said above, be careful, my sister just tore her ACL landing tumbling and her knees are just like mine.

Instead of being directly over your hips try to "tuck" your hips. Pulling the bottom of your pelvis up, It helps me so much. Hope it works for you too:) Best of luck!

Back