OT If You Could Move Anywhere In The Us - Where Would You Go?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
St. Croix would be my first choice, but that isn't realistic, so the 5 year plan has us in either North or South Carolina. We own property in SC now but it isn't the area I would settle in long term. The weather and cost of living is mainly what sold us! I like the idea of the slower pace but I'm not sure how well I will adjust to that lol!
That's one area we haven't looked at, but my step-daughter is hoping to land a job in SC!

That's one area we haven't looked at, but my step-daughter is hoping to land a job in SC!
If I had to recommend an area in SC, I would say the Rock Hill/Fort Mill areas. COL is still low, since it's SC, but very close proximity to all the Charlotte amenities. There's a lake and the best schools in the state. Also, cheapest gas in the country. If I ended up settling down in SC that would be my first choice. I've recommended this to @quitthedrama too.

I've been in NC 2.5 years so I'm still learning. I really like the Charlotte area but business is booming around here and property values are booming right along with it. I live in one of the "hip" areas and I'm afraid I'll be priced out of my rent and have to move out a little bit if nothing gives within the next few years. I might consider buying sooner rather than later in this market.

If I had to stay in SC for some reason, I'd want to live near Charleston (Daniel Island/Folly Beach/Isle of Palms). Columbia is so dang humid. I need a sea breeze or amazing ocean view for me to want to keep living here. @cheerKT has a good idea of living around there. Especially the Tega Cay part. It's on a peninsula on Lake Wylie. I really like waterfront living, if you can't tell lol

If I had to stay in SC for some reason, I'd want to live near Charleston (Daniel Island/Folly Beach/Isle of Palms). Columbia is so dang humid. I need a sea breeze or amazing ocean view for me to want to keep living here. @cheerKT has a good idea of living around there. Especially the Tega Cay part. It's on a peninsula on Lake Wylie. I really like waterfront living, if you can't tell lol

Cost of living in Charleston is ridiculous. The flooding is ridiculous. The traffic is ridiculous. The people are ridiculous. The polite racism is ridiculous. These people don't even like "yanks". The school district is beyond trash. I'm here for part of the week for the renaming of a library for my manager that died and every time a staff member jokingly asks me to come back I'm like.... BUT THE COST OF LIVING?! I don't know how people do it.

and I had a nice salary too.

Charleston is where you go to visit. Then you leave.

I suppose Summerville isn't that bad, but if you're out in Summerville what's the point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cost of living in Charleston is ridiculous. The flooding is ridiculous. The traffic is ridiculous. The people are ridiculous. The polite racism is ridiculous. These people don't even like "yanks". The school district is beyond trash. I'm here for part of the week for the renaming of a library for my manager that died and every time a staff member jokingly asks me to come back I'm like.... BUT THE COST OF LIVING?! I don't know how people do it.

I suppose Summerville isn't that bad, but if you're out in Summerville what's the point

I lived in Pawleys Island for a year and felt the same. Nice place to visit, but didn't like living there.

All the times I've ever been in the areas I mentioned, traffic didn't seem as ridiculous compared to when I lived in Tampa, Orlando during the summer, and where I plan on living in California. Cost of living is still not nearly as ridiculous than where I lived in Massachusetts. I never plan on having kids or if I come back retired, school system isn't a thing I think about when hypothetically thinking about where I'd move to. I guess I haven't met the same ridiculous people there that you have and I'm truly sorry if any of the Charlestonians I associate with were ridiculous to you.

This is my friend's backyard near Charleston. Like that's a sunset I wouldn't mind seeing every day if I had to stay in SC.
12191356_10204780524533261_8685200498320434409_o.jpg

Last edited:
for anyone who says they would love to live in orlando, dont. Yes the closeness of all the attractions, decent sized city and the beach within a 30 minute- 1 hour drive is nice, its slowly become over saturated by the housing market. Gone are the days you can buy a newer affordable house with a backyard (they are basically non existent in the newer homes being built now) plus you'll get zero privacy considering how close your neighbors house is to yours (i mean you might as well combine the two houses into one your that stinkin close) even people who decide to build (which is extremely popular in the area i live in get no property and no yards)

im convinced my DH and i will forever live in older homes simply because they have more to offer. unless your cool with dropping a couple hundred grand in order to get some extra yardage.

a lot of my friends are now buying houses/building and starting families, and as lovely as their new homes are they all have no yard, no chance to put in a pool because of the lack of space and live within a few feet next to their neighbors homes.

I have always wanted to live in North Carolina. Idk why I love that state, prob because of good memories from vacations there. I always say it just feels like I'm home when I'm there. Maybe I can talk one of my kids into going to college there...

All the times I've ever been in the areas I mentioned, traffic didn't seem as ridiculous compared to when I lived in Tampa, Orlando during the summer, and where I plan on living in California. Cost of living is still not nearly as ridiculous than where I lived in Massachusetts. I never plan on having kids or if I come back retired, school system isn't a thing I think about when hypothetically thinking about where I'd move to. I guess I haven't met the same ridiculous people there that you have and I'm truly sorry if any of the Charlestonians I associate with were ridiculous to you.

This is my friend's backyard near Charleston. Like that's a sunset I wouldn't mind seeing every day if I had to stay in SC.
12191356_10204780524533261_8685200498320434409_o.jpg

The cost of living in actual larger cities typically results in salaries reflective of the cost of living. Charleston is a tourist town and not truly a "large city" salaries here tend to be "it is what it is" so just for example if an entry teacher salary of 38k CCSD (which is generous because it's probably closer to 34 or 36 ) here is around the same as entry teaching in Greenville or Columbia....meanwhile rent here in a safe area is $1000 or more while in Columbia you could rent for $600. You're then forced to live outside the city and there's the traffic. The commute here is a mess The failing school district also impacts people here whether they have children or not.

No one can deny the physical beauty of Charleston. I lived on a beautiful marsh and could have taken a similar picture.
But for me this is and always will be an ugly ugly city.

And tragedy aside to raise a family or to live comfortably, unless you're wealthy, this isn't the place.

But yes. charleston certainly looks nice and pretty

It's frustrating but doable! (source: I grew up liberal in South Carolina, lol)

Even the cost of living in Charlotte is crazy high for me coming from SC.

Lol, I grew up conservative in New England...I've never ever lived in a red state. Found out two years ago that my mom lied to me for a decade about switching her party affiliation. :rolleyes:
---
Personally if I could live anywhere in the country it'd be either Providence, RI, somewhere in the Twin Cities, Austin (but only if they get Uber back, that's a deal breaker), or Grand Forks, North Dakota.

Internationally I'd love to live in Montreal for like, three to six months and just completely reinvent myself as a grungy hipster.

Lol, I grew up conservative in New England...I've never ever lived in a red state. Found out two years ago that my mom lied to me for a decade about switching her party affiliation. :rolleyes:
---
Personally if I could live anywhere in the country it'd be either Providence, RI, somewhere in the Twin Cities, Austin (but only if they get Uber back, that's a deal breaker), or Grand Forks, North Dakota.

Internationally I'd love to live in Montreal for like, three to six months and just completely reinvent myself as a grungy hipster.

I'd consider Austin if they didn't have all that traffic. It's too bad because Austin is becoming another big area for design. (I need to suck it up though because all my career goals will probably require me to be near big cities with lots of traffic and high standards of living for a while.)

I've also heard that TX has scorpions and lololololol no.

I'd consider Austin if they didn't have all that traffic. It's too bad because Austin is becoming another big area for design. (I need to suck it up though because all my career goals will probably require me to be near big cities with lots of traffic and high standards of living for a while.)

I've also heard that TX has scorpions and lololololol no.

I have friends who live in Austin and it's legit miserable there since Uber was outlawed. Cabs are really unreliable and there's a secret underground network on Facebook for ridesharing.

Austin traffic is ridiculous. Since we in San Antonio are south of Austin we always have to drive through Austin to get to a lot of competitions. And Austin is legit the only only place I have to think about "time wise" before I leave. Because if I don't decide to leave super early or super late then we have Austin traffic!!

I live in Downtown San Antonio and we have uber and I love how cost effective it is and how it gets me to things close by for so little! I just don't understand why Austin doesn't have uber.

On the plus side I feel like their attractions and things to do are far better options then what we have in San Antonio! It's an awesome city and I wouldn't mind living there. a lot of our families at the gym commute from there so I would know quite a few who live there I could probably carpool to the gym lol !! I do believe it's more expensive than SA though.

If I had to recommend an area in SC, I would say the Rock Hill/Fort Mill areas. COL is still low, since it's SC, but very close proximity to all the Charlotte amenities. There's a lake and the best schools in the state. Also, cheapest gas in the country. If I ended up settling down in SC that would be my first choice. I've recommended this to @quitthedrama too.

I've been in NC 2.5 years so I'm still learning. I really like the Charlotte area but business is booming around here and property values are booming right along with it. I live in one of the "hip" areas and I'm afraid I'll be priced out of my rent and have to move out a little bit if nothing gives within the next few years. I might consider buying sooner rather than later in this market.
My step-daughter majored in ecology, so she is hoping to work with DNR.

On the plus side I feel like their attractions and things to do are far better options then what we have in San Antonio! It's an awesome city and I wouldn't mind living there. a lot of our families at the gym commute from there so I would know quite a few who live there I could probably carpool to the gym lol !! I do believe it's more expensive than SA though.

Austin traffic is no joke! However, when living just north of Austin, I felt like San Antonio definitely had more to do!

Back