OT If You Could Move Anywhere In The Us - Where Would You Go?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
My cousin informed me last week that her new destination to live is Vermont. She raved on and on about it.

I'm so ready to move! My entire day yesterday was looking at real estate and touring new places. Every area I'm looking at (even where I currently live) is just so outrageous! My out of state short list in no order is...
  1. Georgia (Specifically Atlanta/Buckhead/Marietta area)
  2. Southern California (La Jolla and Laguna areas are my favorites)
  3. South Carolina (Charleston area and Isle of Palms is all I've ever been to, but I loved it)
My two main things are warmer areas within a somewhat close range to a coast. NYC was my dream for so long, but I decided I just cannot deal with the cold!
My step-daughter spent the last 4 years in Vermont for college. She really enjoyed it. It is beautiful!

I have so many places I want live in! New York City, Boston, Chicago, San Diego and Honolulu. I like big cities that have a "city centre" (most American cities don't, right? only downtown?). San Diego and Honolulu for the weather, and because I loved it there when I visited.

I have so many places I want live in! New York City, Boston, Chicago, San Diego and Honolulu. I like big cities that have a "city centre" (most American cities don't, right? only downtown?). San Diego and Honolulu for the weather, and because I loved it there when I visited.
What do you define "city centre" as?

What do you define "city centre" as?
From Wikipedia: "A city centre is the commercial, cultural and often the historical, political and geographic heart of a city."

In European cities there's always always a defined "center" where all the shops, restaurants etc. are gathered (usually just in the middle of the city). In many American cities, it feels like the "center" is spread. There are malls, downtown, etc., but not always a center.

Aww I love hearing people enjoyed themselves when they visited my city! We really are so spoiled down here with the weather. Im incredibly lucky to be able to go to the beach in February lol! I love it here so glad I get to live here lol :cheering:

ETA lol I didn't clarify. I was talking about San Diego.

From Wikipedia: "A city centre is the commercial, cultural and often the historical, political and geographic heart of a city."

In European cities there's always always a defined "center" where all the shops, restaurants etc. are gathered (usually just in the middle of the city). In many American cities, it feels like the "center" is spread. There are malls, downtown, etc., but not always a center.
The HGTV show I'm watching (House Hunters Intl. in the Netherlands) just said city center, which reminded me of this thread. Too funny!

I've never heard that term before. Most large cities have a recognized downtown area, but that isn't the only place where shops/restaurants are. For example I live near a pretty large city. Drive 10 minutes outside of downtown any direction and you'll hit a large suburb area where there are more malls/shops/restaurants. Drive 10 more minutes out from those suburbs and more large suburbs.

I've not been to Europe (it's on my dream list), so it's hard for me to understand the difference. Are there not shops/restaurants/etc outside of the city center?

The HGTV show I'm watching (House Hunters Intl. in the Netherlands) just said city center, which reminded me of this thread. Too funny!

I've never heard that term before. Most large cities have a recognized downtown area, but that isn't the only place where shops/restaurants are. For example I live near a pretty large city. Drive 10 minutes outside of downtown any direction and you'll hit a large suburb area where there are more malls/shops/restaurants. Drive 10 more minutes out from those suburbs and more large suburbs.

I've not been to Europe (it's on my dream list), so it's hard for me to understand the difference. Are there not shops/restaurants/etc outside of the city center?
I was watching that last night too! Most smaller European cities do have a city centre. It's typically the primary area of shopping and bars/restaurants and usually has the main transportation hub as well. You will find some on the outskirts but the choices are much more limited. The larger cities are usually broken down more into districts and you will find shops and whatnot throughout.

back-country/wilderness...

home.jpg

hopefully near a beach with waves, with my sailboat anchored nearby.

Technically, I could move anywhere. My husband is a firefighter, and his training is internationally recognized. I do paralegal work in labour relations (ie union), so that could be a problem, but admin work is admin work as far as I've experienced.

I've always said I'd want Oregon or Maine. But I visited Louisville and I LOVED it, so I could see going somewhere like that.

Lame as it might be, I'll stick to Winnipeg. I actually like it here, unlike everyone else. I didn't care for Montreal or Toronto, too big and bustling for me.. I could also see myself on the Niagara Peninsula where my dad is from. (alllllll the wine there)

i just want to live in a state far away from tourists, why do people act like their driving in a different country when they come here is beyond me......

i almost get hit regularly at a certain intersection near the tourist attractions because people dont know how to go through a light and stay in their lane at the same time.... like i didnt know it was that difficult for some people to drive straight.

so preferably i would like to live in the middle of nowhere usa, where i dont have neighbors and no traffic. lol

Back