Injury Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In regard to the injury, cheer is a team sport. Period. If every kid isn't able to contribute to the entire routine, they may/will likely be replaced until that can happen.

After 8 years of doing this CP13 broke her arm. It was actually broken in the new avi <---- picture we just didn't realize she was tumbling on a broken arm at the time. Bottom line, she was worked out of both routines (for obvious reasons) because she couldn't do her job. Even when she came back, she was told she would be in for Kansas City (got the cast of early that week) but when practice came, she didn't have range of motion in her wrist and couldn't tumble.

She was out on the spot. And that was understandable. When Big Top came around she was in one day and the girl who'd replaced her during her cast time was in on the other day, so for one team she only competed one of the two days. Since then they've reworked for a couple things and she's back in an entirely new spot full time. But the bottom line is, this is a team sport, and if you can't contribute to the team, you shouldn't be a hindrance to it either because it's about the team before its about the individual. That's what cheer is.

To continue the point (A) Ms. Teal's little looked fabulous in the black uniform but I digress...

(B) CEA Charlotte had a sudden influx of mini kids - like 10 at one time - and put together, just a few weeks ago, a Mini 2 team that now has like 16 kids on it. Obviously starting a brand new team in the middle of the season, no one had uniforms. So they put out a request to anyone in the CEA program that had the old level 5 uniform in youth size that these parents could rent and if they were willing to do that, the parent got the rental money and please bring it in a ziploc bag and they'd get it back at the end of this new team's season.

Bottom line is that these are your uniforms if you paid for them and the gym has no right to them.

A. Not as good as FrenchFry but her hips and behind weren't hanging out so that was a plus for sure!!!

B. WOW...26 new kids? That's crazy! And yes, I saw that request and I dug through all my stuff and I could not come up with my little teeny uniform. I think someone didn't return it or something. Darrnit!!

Replacement is coming from gymnastics class. Coach is a gymnastics teacher. Never cheered with us before.

Jumping off point, not replying to you specifically peanut. LOL

I have owned many uniforms over the year's. I've had to borrow and I'm always happy to lend if need be but those request's happen parent to parent. My little was doing our Charlotte Jr team 1 weekend.....Courtney Pope didn't ask 12step to turn her uniform in for Little to use, I sent a text to her and said "Hey, Would you mind if Little borrowed your black uniform please?" She said "Sure, that's no problem." She got it to Little, Little used it and got it back to 12step and that's all there was to it. Vice Versa I've gotten text's that said "Hey.......My kid's team is wearing the old level 5 uniform and her's is too small......Can you see if you have a (Insert random size here) in your closet we might borrow?" I've loaned uniform pieces for whole season's before and got them back at the end. Again, this doesn't come from the coach or owner of our gym. If owner text me and said "Hey, can you bring uniform to the gym the next practice in a zip lock bag?" honestly, that would set off all kinds of red flag's for me. I wish I had other advice @Newmom !!!
It's fine. My gym has the same uniform across all teams. They are mostly white uniforms, and I tend to have bad luck in general. If it was a desperate case, then I might lend. Meanwhile, my team is small with 17 kids. We had a fill in for my part of the pyramid (a base). I just hid behind the stunt group.

In regards to the uniform--does your program rent uniforms? We charge about $150 for a "rental" and our athletes have to give them back at the end of the season.

As for replacing a mini kid, I'd avoid it if I could. 7 year olds don't understand why they're being replaced. They assume they did something wrong. I would make every effort to keep her in the routine and still work someone else into her stunting spots.

As for replacing a mini kid, I'd avoid it if I could. 7 year olds don't understand why they're being replaced. They assume they did something wrong. I would make every effort to keep her in the routine and still work someone else into her stunting spots.
Except the kid does have a fractured shoulder and could very well get further injured if someone accidentally tumbled or ran into her. If she has a fracture, I do not know how smart or safe it would be for the gym to keep her in the routine for the sake of not hurting her feelings.
I do think if the coaches talked to this mini and her mom and explained that she was being taken out because she is hurt - and not because she did anything wrong - then things would sit well. It's more the fact that it seems as though she is being replaced by someone outside the program and there is question of the coach collecting all the uniforms with the motive of having one for the replacement that is raising question about if there is something shady going on. Especially since OP is saying the program is not communicating well with the injured mini or her mom.

Except the kid does have a fractured shoulder and could very well get further injured if someone accidentally tumbled or ran into her. If she has a fracture, I do not know how smart or safe it would be for the gym to keep her in the routine for the sake of not hurting her feelings.
I do think if the coaches talked to this mini and her mom and explained that she was being taken out because she is hurt - and not because she did anything wrong - then things would sit well. It's more the fact that it seems as though she is being replaced by someone outside the program and there is question of the coach collecting all the uniforms with the motive of having one for the replacement that is raising question about if there is something shady going on. Especially since OP is saying the program is not communicating well with the injured mini or her mom.
Agreed, but the OP said that she was able to participate in everything but one pyramid. Obviously you don't play with injuries, but you also don't remove a partially capable kid for the sake of maxing the score sheet. Not sure what the exact situation is here.

Agreed, but the OP said that she was able to participate in everything but one pyramid. Obviously you don't play with injuries, but you also don't remove a partially capable kid for the sake of maxing the score sheet. Not sure what the exact situation is here.
Agreed we do not have the whole story but it is entirely possible the child is not supposed to be competing and this is what the coaches feel is best. Having a gymnastics program attached I am guessing they are well aware of injury limitations. So hard to know.

Cheer Dad = broke dad

I think there is more to this story, also. There are trust and communication issues that take place with injuries. Cp had her appendix taken out before a small comp and 4 weeks before NCA Dallas, she sprained her ankle 7 weeks before The Summit and broke her nose and had it reset before a couple of small comps. Every time an injury happened I would immediately call the coach to let him know what was going on, and then call after every office visit to give an update. I, also, provided him with the dr. note stating the return to activity date. Based on that communication, the coach gave me dates he would need cp back to practice to participate in those competitions or be replaced. Done. End of story.

There can be a lot that goes on behind the scenes with injuries and the remaining financial responsibilities that your friend may or may not be sharing. I would definitely keep my eyes and ears open as a consumer, but I would take into consideration you only have one side of the story and the gym is not in a place to share theirs.

We never really know. I think about 3 or 4 more comps. It isnt very organized. Small gym and I made a mistake not checking it out better. Coach is agymnastics teacher who just got started in cheer.
I would find a new place to cheer. This doesn't sound good or safe. Make them buy the uniform back!

It seems like there are 3 completely separate issues at hand here.

The uniform issue - if the uniform is bought (not rented) then no way can the gym ask for it back. They could have asked nicely if the fill in could borrow it, but at this point if they're being shady like it sounds, I'd just say "Nope." It's veeerrryyy strange that she is asking for all of them. I really would need more info on that. I've *never* heard of that.

The injury issue - there's replacing someone in a routine and there's completely dismissing someone from a team. In every injury I've seen, the child still comes to practice, and is still on the team. They go to competition (in uniform if possible, in team jacket or something if not). When my CP was injured, she went to practice, and went to comp. She went back to warm-ups with her team, stood in the front row with coaches, and went to awards. That was *her* team. Someone (from another gym actually :eek: ) replaced her in the routine and borrowed her uniform (directly from us, not the gym). So the routine was still performed at its full potential, but my cp was still included as a member of the team. Is this child with the injury being told she's completely off the team? Or just out of the routine until she heals? 2 different things IMO.

The last issue is trust. I can't tell who from the info here, but someone in all this is violating some serious trust. Either the gym in not providing a good, team environment (and the whole weird shady uniform thing), or the mom in not giving the whole story. (it sounds like she owes money still and the gym is trying to cut their losses - although I don't know why they're doing the whole ziploc bag uniforms for everyone thing. Why not just say "Since you haven't technically paid for it, we need that uniform back"?)

This whole thing is... Weird. Sounds like no one is doing what they should for this little girl.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back