High School Is Cheer Camp Necessary For A Team's Improvement/success?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I really wasn't sure if there was a specific camp I knew nothing about lol. It all depends on how you determine success. If you are talking about doing well in competitions, then I'm not sure that it is necessary, but I'm trying to think of a top team in my area that doesn't do camp. I think what is more necessary is having a team that already has experience and skills.

At our former school, the girls did a stunt clinic and camp with an allstar gym. They learned their homecoming routines and cheers and cheer builds and several dances to use throughout the year. They usually went to the gym and it was a decent bonding experience.

Current school does a UCA home camp. Last year, they used the extreme routine and performed it, with our local middle school, at the first home football game. They may have used one or two of the cheers. This year, they haven't used any of the dances (coach said will use for basketball homecoming) and may be using a cheer or two.

I think it depends what you are expecting. I was used to getting a lot for the money and using what was learned instead of getting new routines for performances. I would see lots of improvements with the previous camp. I have no idea with the current school.

We do build your own home camps. No cheers or dances really just focus on stunting. We will work on the partner stunt sequence, pyramid and our cheer in the competition routine. I always think we get a lot of out our private camp!
Are these with UCA? And how do they work?

I'm not to sure of your location, but Pine Forest UCA camps in Pennsylvania are an amazing experience it really helps bring the girls together as a team and prepare them for a strong season! I also find the coaches class EXTREMELY helpful!

We do build your own home camps... And very much prefer! We too, focus very much on stunting and technique... We also get more 1 on 1 attention to detail. As for away camps I'm actually somewhat against them. For all the "team building" they should be about... I notice you stick 20+ teens together away from their families for 3-4 days getting up at 6/7am .. Expose them to 8 hours of physical activity where they're "forced" to be in a "spirited" mood in the dead heat only to retreat to segregation. They're tired, hungry, not in the most comfortable of accommodations and mildly irritated with each other from the days interactions... To me at camp: Your practically growing drama and frustration in a Petri dish. I think away camps have great intentions but it's much easier for everyone to do a half day of self focused material, go home to A familiar environment with their own bed and vent to their family ....rather than a factioned dorm room of equally overly exhausted peers.

I love camp. I loved it when I was in high school and it was my favorite part of every season. We never competed in HS, so the camp competitions were my favorite part. I also found that I bonded with my team at camp more so than I did when we had practice 5 days a week. The one year we didn't do an away camp, we had more drama than you could imagine. We went to a residential camp the following year, same girls who caused problems, and we were close as a team all season. That was what we considered a successful camp experience.

We didn't do camp in high school and I really wish I would have gotten that camper experience because I love camp being on staff.

We do home camps in college and I think they really helped stunting with our new guys and girls. They were also a good refresher for technique for our vets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We didn't do camp in high school and I really wish I would have gotten that camper experience because I love camp being on staff.

We do home camps in college and I think they really helped stunting with our new guys and girls. They were also a good refresher for technique for our vets.

For programs unwilling (or unable) to spend that kind of money, do you think it would be enough for the coach to simply have a strong understanding of good stunting technique/hacks?

For programs unwilling (or unable) to spend that kind of money, do you think it would be enough for the coach to simply have a strong understanding of good stunting technique/hacks?
I think it would depend on the team. For a game day team then maybe. But for a competitive team you learn a lot of the new stunting trends at camp and it's nice to learn them from people who really know what they're talking about.

Also think it's nice to have a new person come in and give advice. A coach could tell someone to lock their knee out in a lib a million times and they'll get sick of them saying that, but if a staffer came in and said "hey make sure you're squeezing your legs so your knee stays locked" their probably more likely to listen and apply the critique.

I think it would depend on the team. For a game day team then maybe. But for a competitive team you learn a lot of the new stunting trends at camp and it's nice to learn them from people who really know what they're talking about.

Also think it's nice to have a new person come in and give advice. A coach could tell someone to lock their knee out in a lib a million times and they'll get sick of them saying that, but if a staffer came in and said "hey make sure you're squeezing your legs so your knee stays locked" their probably more likely to listen and apply the critique.

Very true. But I've never been a fan of stunting trends... they get old after the first competition of the season.

Back