Is Private Lessons Worth It?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 12, 2012
Hey Everyone.

I'm on an Senior 4 team, and our coach really wants us to max out, and so far I'm the only one whom doesn't have a layout. I'm really close, but having a little trouble because I pike too much and can't seem to land solidly. We've got a really big team, and an even bigger tumbling class and I'm finding I'm not getting enough personal attention. Do you think private lessons are worth it? I don't think I'd need to take more than a few, hopefully. Also, how much are private lessons where you're at? Ours are $30.00/an hour for a group of three, and like $85.00 for one on one/one hour lessons.

Thanks!

Yes, they are worth even if only for a few times to get the extra attention and critique you may need. When my CP was doing privates they were $18 per half hour and were one on one. Some people used to go in with 2 kids and get an hour combined for $36.

Sometimes a different instructor than you are used to can also be very helpful.

Good luck

Worth it. Often times, it is really hard for a coach to pinpoint what you might be doing wrong when he/she has 15-20 other athletes to critique at the same time. The individual attention really helps, even if you can only spring for one private. That way, at least they've had a closer look at you and can better help you during class. Good luck!!!

I had the same problem as you!!:) I won a contest where the prize was four free privates, and I got my layout in three!:)

All I can say is YES!!!! Individual lessons are the key to success if you are having troubles but 85 an hour sounds crazy! If I were you I would look to see if there is anyone who would do it for cheaper, 60 and hour is the highest rate I would go and I usually only charge 50. You might want to try another gym maybe a gymnastics gym or another program that doesn't mind doing private for non members. 85 is just insane! no one wants to pay that and most coaches don't even start coaching skills in a private for the first 10 or 15 minutes it's usually just a skills check and warm up. Hope you get that layout!

It's $30 for a half hour at our gym. Unless you're very lucky to be in a small tumbling class, privates are truly the way to go to get that next skill. The individual attention plus the constant repetition of the same skill without the downtime that happens in tumbling class or open tumble makes a huge difference. My cp usually does one hour-long tumbling class and one 30 minute private a week when we can fit the private in.

Lessons are a GREAT way to get one-on-one attention. But don't go into a single lesson thinking you will learn a new skill right away. It might take a few weeks of lessons to see progress. In fact, many times when I take on a new athlete as a client, I will take them back to fundamental skills that need to be worked on in order to promote future progress.

Although, I won't complain about being paid for them, if you go take a lesson from an instructor a week before tryouts/placements looking to get a back handspring, chances are you will be disappointed.

private lessons are a good way to get over certain hurdles. Such as learning your first ro bhs tuck, or starting to twist etc.

With the prices there, perhaps doing 1 a month supplemented with going to tumbling classes.

The classes will give you the repetition and drills to build up your physical ability and the privates will help you through those mental hurdles to actually throw the skills

its definitely worth it! privates have made my tumbling soo much better! you dont have to do it every week either. like if thats alot of money for you do it once a month or every other week. dont do an hour. you'll be too tired and won't improve

A quick update: Thanks again to everyone whom left a comment. I've decided to go ahead with the private lessons, and found a different gym near my house, which offers $30.00/per hour/per person ($10.00 goes to the gym, and the rest to the instructor).
I had my first lesson last night, and it went extremely well. The instructor quickly adapted to my learning style and I felt major improvement right away. Fingers crossed that I'll have the skill down soon! And thanks again for all the great advice. -Lily

Back