All-Star Is This Legal?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

MyDaughterCheers

Cheer Parent
In Memoriam
Mar 27, 2011
My daughter was just in local fireman's parade in our community. An all star gym in the community was also in the parade. They would periodically stop and stunt on the road. They did several basket tosses. I was so afraid that someone was going to get hurt! Is that even legal?

My daughter was just in local fireman's parade in our community. An all star gym in the community was also in the parade. They would periodically stop and stunt on the road. They did several basket tosses. I was so afraid that someone was going to get hurt! Is that even legal?
there allstars im pretty sure since we arnt officially sanctioned by anything that tells us what we can and cant do outside a competition then no its not illegal IMO

I think you are probably right, but WOW! I can't believe the coach was foolish enough to even allow it. The gym is 5 minutes from my house and we travel about 35 to our gym. That was yet another reason why my daughter will never cheer for them. :(

My allstar team has definitely stunted outside...including backtuck baskets (level 6)...pretty sure there's no rules against it.

Only school and rec teams are bound by AACCA/NFHS rules (which state no twisting or tosses on non mat surfaces). However, as others have stated, it's still pretty dangerous. There's a reason for the rules...if it's not safe for HS, it's not safe for AS!

Only school and rec teams are bound by AACCA/NFHS rules (which state no twisting or tosses on non mat surfaces). However, as others have stated, it's still pretty dangerous. There's a reason for the rules...if it's not safe for HS, it's not safe for AS!
agree with you on most points, except that stuff that is not safe for hs we do everyday in all star :) Granted, I would never have my KIDS stunt on concrete, but i have no problem with myself or other coaches/adults stunting/tumbling on concrete, because they know the dangers, are mature enough to catch, and are more likely to speak up and say no if they aren't ready for something on concrete. If i tell my kids to stunt over a lava pit, they are going to do it. (which would make a bad-a picture if I may say so myself)

Are from Indiana by any chance? I saw the same thing happen recently. We 're not talking level 2 stunts, either!

My CP's has stunted on concrete during a parade or something before. I agree that it isn't the safest situation but they tried to make it as safe as possible using multiple catchers and limiting the difficulty of the stunts. They also only used very experienced athletes. L

Are from Indiana by any chance? I saw the same thing happen recently. We 're not talking level 2 stunts, either!

No, I live in PA. I don't really have an issue with them being outside - my issue was that they were on the road on the parade route. It is really hot here and everyone was sweating, too. I felt that they were an accident waiting to happen. Like AceDad said, you can't legislate stupid.

My CP's has stunted on concrete during a parade or something before. I agree that it isn't the safest situation but they tried to make it as safe as possible using multiple catchers and limiting the difficulty of the stunts. They also only used very experienced athletes. L

Unfortunately, these teams are J3 and Y2 and are not very experienced. I have seen this gym in competitions on numerous occasions and they aren't real experienced. The stunts they did today were a hot mess, but I'm not talking about just stunting - I'm talking about baskets. One girl tried to double down and barely made it around.

Unfortunately, these teams are J3 and Y2 and are not very experienced. I have seen this gym in competitions on numerous occasions and they aren't real experienced. The stunts they did today were a hot mess, but I'm not talking about just stunting - I'm talking about baskets. One girl tried to double down and barely made it around.
Yikes!

No, I live in PA. I don't really have an issue with them being outside - my issue was that they were on the road on the parade route. It is really hot here and everyone was sweating, too. I felt that they were an accident waiting to happen. Like AceDad said, you can't legislate stupid.

you sound like you're from around me! i used to go to a gym not ten minutes from my house, and now i drive 35 minutes to cheer at a much safer place. it certainly sounds like something that would happen at the gym i first started cheering at.

It's illegal because of General Rule #5 "Athletes must always practice and perform on an appropriate surface. Technical skills (stunts, pyramids, tosses or tumbling) may not be performed on concrete, asphalt, wet or uneven surfaces or surfaces with obstructions."

Back