All-Star Jam Brands Has Merged With Varsity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

You are right, but color me shocked when I found out how many players on CPs SEC Div 1 college football team don't have scholarships. I assumed if you played, you had a full boat. This is not at all true. Same for every other sport at said college, and I would imagine most colleges are the same.
I have no idea what the statistics are, but a scholarship isn't a given in any sort.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Actually, I would venture to estimate many of the players don't have full-ride scholarships. Some have partial 'ships and some guys are walk-ons and are paying full price to be at the school they're at. Some of course have academic scholarships, which is great because they can't take it away if you get injured and can't play!

There are plenty of other elite sports that require a lot more time then cheerleading does, in fact, cheer has one of the lowest hour requirements compared to hockey, soccer, diving, or gymnastics.
When Phoebe was in TOPS training for gymnastics at 6 years old, she was doing 3 days a week for 3 hours each evening. During the summer that went up to 6 hours during the day, M-F. This was for up training or "pre elite". I can't imagine how many hours she would be at now if she had stayed in. Most AS cheerleaders are able to do school sports or school cheer without a problem.
The international level divers on our team (like the ones that just went to the Pan Am Junior Games in Cuba) dive 6 days a week after school and most come at least 2-3 mornings for dry land training. All of them are home schooled. My 12 year old is already getting face time with the diving coach for UT Austin by attending summer camps and workshops he does for younger divers, he's made it clear that he pays attention and tracks these kids...at 12.

The only way costs will go down is if parents pull their kids and that's not going to happen based on the stories of people taking out their retirement or working multiple jobs so they never have to tell their child no. You can't put it all on the EP's either. I always wondered why I was paying $250 for choreography for our gym to fly in a choreographer the same weekend some of the coaches were leaving to choreograph at another gym. If you have it in house, why are you outsourcing? And why are we paying $6,000+ for a routine that most likely will be changed 50 times before NCA?

Oh and PLEASE revisit the uniform guidelines, stomach mesh was invented by Satan and needs to be exorcised from the industry.

The "original" thought was to have fresh eyes and ideas. As in house coaches there is a tendency to limit what you try or put together based on past experience. Especially when it comes to pushing the scoresheet and being creative. IMO that went away long ago. Now it seems more of a money swap - you do my routines, I'll do yours or a we must be a good gym because we brought in (insert big name choreographer here) to do our routines.

There used to be pride in having the ability to do routines in house. At one point it was definitely considered a marketing strength of a gym. But now sadly many gyms that have in house choreographers do not pay them choreography rates (or close) to it. They pay hourly or expect them to do it for free since they coach that team or at the gym. Which IMO is taking advantage of people who have that skill set. Go away for the weekend and make $2000.00 or stay home and make $200.00 before taxes are taken out. I understand why so many in house choreographers only clean and do pieces now instead of the whole routine in house. SMH.

You are right, but color me shocked when I found out how many players on CPs SEC Div 1 college football team don't have scholarships. I assumed if you played, you had a full boat. This is not at all true. Same for every other sport at said college, and I would imagine most colleges are the same.
I have no idea what the statistics are, but a scholarship isn't a given in any sort.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
They may not have athletic scholarships...but there are other ways it is managed so they are not paying close to full price ;)

I should add...at least at private schools

Last edited:
Speaking of scholarships,
I was talking to one of the freshman on the men's basketball team a while ago and he was amazed that we had to pay for housing, meal plans, and tuition. He thought we all got scholarships too...lol we don't get anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2777650.jpg

There are plenty of other elite sports that require a lot more time then cheerleading does, in fact, cheer has one of the lowest hour requirements compared to hockey, soccer, diving, or gymnastics.
When Phoebe was in TOPS training for gymnastics at 6 years old, she was doing 3 days a week for 3 hours each evening. During the summer that went up to 6 hours during the day, M-F. This was for up training or "pre elite". I can't imagine how many hours she would be at now if she had stayed in. Most AS cheerleaders are able to do school sports or school cheer without a problem.
The international level divers on our team (like the ones that just went to the Pan Am Junior Games in Cuba) dive 6 days a week after school and most come at least 2-3 mornings for dry land training. All of them are home schooled. My 12 year old is already getting face time with the diving coach for UT Austin by attending summer camps and workshops he does for younger divers, he's made it clear that he pays attention and tracks these kids...at 12.

The only way costs will go down is if parents pull their kids and that's not going to happen based on the stories of people taking out their retirement or working multiple jobs so they never have to tell their child no. You can't put it all on the EP's either. I always wondered why I was paying $250 for choreography for our gym to fly in a choreographer the same weekend some of the coaches were leaving to choreograph at another gym. If you have it in house, why are you outsourcing? And why are we paying $6,000+ for a routine that most likely will be changed 50 times before NCA?

Oh and PLEASE revisit the uniform guidelines, stomach mesh was invented by Satan and needs to be exorcised from the industry.
6000 Dollars for a routine? ?? :eek: is that really a thing?? Wow

6000 Dollars for a routine? ?? :eek: is that really a thing?? Wow

Well if you take $250 and multiply it by 24 athletes, it's $6,000. I guess it could be less if you had fewer kids but I'm thinking the portion the parents pay probably goes up to cover the choreographer's fee.

Back