All-Star Jam Brands Has Merged With Varsity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Well if you take $250 and multiply it by 24 athletes, it's $6,000. I guess it could be less if you had fewer kids but I'm thinking the portion the parents pay probably goes up to cover the choreographer's fee.

don't forget you're paying for airfare, lodging, and food for the choreographer, too. even if the coaches in house charged the same type of cost for their choreography, that alone would save a bundle.

don't forget you're paying for airfare, lodging, and food for the choreographer, too. even if the coaches in house charged the same type of cost for their choreography, that alone would save a bundle.
Music is likely included too. Not always but it used to be part of the choreography "package".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the GREAT things about cheer is that it allows participation at many levels. Most other sports seem to have decreased opportunities the older kids get. In my son's sport (baseball), only the top athletes are able to keep playing through high school. Some kids are able to make teams on the club level, but they don't get much play time if they aren't highly skilled. They definitely, in my experience, couldn't pick up baseball at 16 and expect to be put on a team. I think that's such a great thing about cheer. And scholarships? Hahaha! My son is a senior and has many, many very talented and athletic friends. For the most part, those kids will pay for their own college. I'm fully expecting to pay for college next year for him...although he'll most likely play in school.

Point: cheerleading is certainly worthwhile for a child who enjoys it

I totally agree with this. I have thought many times how unfortunate it is that its more difficult to "participate" in sports as you get older. Let alone learn it from knowing nothing and having no skill. Yet I started cheer last year as a 22 year old and have been able to participate to a level appropiate to my skills (or lack there of...). That is something quite unique about cheer. The sporting nature in Australian universities is quite different to that in America to my understanding but getting scholarships is not something most people consider because sport isn't considered at that level. As such most uni age kids have depts ranging in the tens of thousands. Doing a sport for the prospects of getting a scholarship or going to the olympics would pretty much ground sporting here if it was the case.

Remember the days, no because I'm ancient, that your mom made your uniform, your bow was a thin strip of grosgrain ribbon and you died/painted your $12 saddle shoes to match your uniform colors? Remember when you chose a song, made up your own choreography and you had one competition in a school gym judged by teachers? Remember your parents complaining about the cost of $85 to be on the Pom Squad for the year? Parents can work hard, join together and make this as inexpensive as they want, invite who they want and do it where and as often as they want....maybe not use the song they want. BUT, as soon as one parent or gym decides they are going to buy their uniforms or contract out their choreography, the whole thing goes down the drain. It's hard work and expensive keeping up with the Joneses.;)

...I say we blame it on Pattonville HS, they decided to outsource their choreography back in 1976.

It goes beyond that too...
Gyms (not saying all...) are getting a piece of the pie when it comes to what parents are paying for uniforms...practice wear...warmups...backpacks. It isn't a coincidence that these things seem to have become more popular, get updated more frequently and are (again not all gyms) "mandatory" in recent years.

And no, I'm not a conspiracy theorist ;)

I appreciate the programs that pass on the discounts to their families (varsity or otherwise) and don't require a new backpack or "400$ uniform" every year... But it's "business" and varsity isn't the only one who has figured crazy cheer parents out. I mean, come on, it's hard to tell our sweet buttercup "no!" when they "love it so much" and "they learn so many valuable life lessons". ;) I'm there with the rest of you.

Gyms (not saying all...) are getting a piece of the pie when it comes to what parents are paying for uniforms...practice wear...warmups...backpacks. It isn't a coincidence that these things seem to have become more popular, get updated more frequently and are (again not all gyms) "mandatory" in recent years.

I appreciate the programs that pass on the discounts to their families (varsity or otherwise) and don't require a new backpack or "400$ uniform" every year... But it's "business" and varsity isn't the only one who has figured crazy cheer parents out. I mean, come on, it's hard to tell our sweet buttercup "no!" when they "love it so much" and "they learn so many valuable life lessons". ;) I'm there with the rest of you.
We are a smallish gym so we do not get any piece of any pie. I sincerely appreciate that our gym uses uniforms for at least 3 seasons. When cp got her new one last year, we actually realized that this might possibly be the last one we need to buy, and she has 2 more seasons after this one.

Well if you take $250 and multiply it by 24 athletes, it's $6,000. I guess it could be less if you had fewer kids but I'm thinking the portion the parents pay probably goes up to cover the choreographer's fee.
Wow that is a lot of money, if I told my teams they had to pay that i would not have a gym anymore . Unbelievable how much money you guys have to spend on cheer over there. I mean i know it was a lot, but i didn't expect it to be that much

I was offered a number of scholarships to smaller schools outside the 3hr zone (something about that was mandatory at my high school, not sure what/why). If I actually had showed interest in playing sports there or other places in any capacity, I'm sure I would have gotten much more. At least, it was all but spelled out that way.

Alas, I decided to go to NYC and blow my college money on the 'big dream'. :D Still cheaper than my sister's school!

I'm totally using this to explain monopolies to my cheerleader tutoring students in HS econ this year :-P

Not loving this... after I broke ties with varsity this year at the HS I was coaching I felt so relieved. Now that I'm not coaching and just in charge of my one cheerleader in All Star I'm kind of sad. I've always found Jam Brands comp's to be more entertaining than most varsity ones, plus being able to have a huge crowd supporting because entrance is free was fun for the girls.... I guess we shall see what happens.

Our gym is too small to make most minimums. The vendors I have worked with have been amazing. The only thing I require is their uniform, bow, and make-up. Warm-ups, back-packs, etc are recommended but optional and I try to keep it affordable as possible. We use uniforms two years in a row so that they can sell to newcomers if they outgrow or don't have to buy a new one if the old one still fits. So there are gyms out there with the parents and affordability in mind! :)

Back