All-Star January 1st - Amnesty Day

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think that Kingston had said you can do either - ban a username or ban an IP address, and I think he has said he has done both depending on the severity. But even banning an IP isn't foolproof. Your IP address can change, especially if you're connecting from a phone. You can always access the site from somewhere else.

Aha, yeah, that was one of the reasons I was asking because I know that IP's can change. Is it possible to ban a MAC addresses? I know that someone could just use a different device but it seems a little more concrete than an email banning or an IP banning.

Can we start calling people out every time we see "I could care less?" It doesn't even make sense, the proper term is "couldn't care less," as in "I could not give any less thought to that idea if I tried."
Can we please? I feel mean when I do but seriously... if you "could care less," it means you care.... if you "couldn't care less" it means you don't care, so it's not possible to care any less than you do.
One of my pet peeves. I hate to reply to somebody's post just to fix their grammar... but maybe people will learn. :)

Aha, yeah, that was one of the reasons I was asking because I know that IP's can change. Is it possible to ban a MAC addresses? I know that someone could just use a different device but it seems a little more concrete than an email banning or an IP banning.

I'm not very knowledgeable of networking, but I don't think that websites have access to your MAC address. For the most part, any device that comes from the same network (so behind a router) has the same IP address and generally look the same to a website, barring differences in OS and browsers.

And, if we want to get really pedantic, you can change your MAC address too. It's not that easy, but it can be down. But eventually it's becomes what Kingston said. At what point is it no longer worth the effort to keep re-registering and putting up with the newbie section?

I'm not very knowledgeable of networking, but I don't think that websites have access to your MAC address. For the most part, any device that comes from the same network (so behind a router) has the same IP address and generally look the same to a website, barring differences in OS and browsers.

Once we all get assigned permanent IP6 addresses this might become possible.

When I hit 10,000 shimmys what do I buy myself to celebrate?

Back