OT Laptop

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I'm pretty sure we had thinkpads at my high school. They were slow, but I'm a mac person so I feel like ALL PCs are slow. If you can afford a mac, you should totally jump on the mac train. They last forever and software updates are free :)

No, software uodates are not free. This last one was, but every other one has not been free. And "I'm a Mac persons do I feel like all PCs are slow," ah yeah, no.

It's the hardware that makes a computer slow, not the software. If those thinkpads were slow it was because they had crap hardware in them, not because they weren't a Mac. My old MacBook is probably slower than most current laptops.

Last edited:
No, software uodates are not free. This last one is, but every other one has not been free. And "I'm a Mac persons do I feel like all PCs are slow," ah yeah, no.

It's the hardware that makes a computer slow, not the software. If those thinkpads were slow it was because they had crap hardware in them, not because they weren't a Mac. My old MacBook is probably slower than most current laptops.

Well I was just stating my opinion, and my computer wants me to update it a lot, so some part of it is free... Every PC I've ever used has been slower than my mac is now. So, yes, I'm a mac person and I do feel like all PCs are slow...
Also, do you think her college is going to give them top of the line laptops with "good" hardware if they are only replacing them for $150 each? Probably not, not if they give them to all the kids.

Well I was just stating my opinion, and my computer wants me to update it a lot, so some part of it is free... Every PC I've ever used has been slower than my mac is now. So, yes, I'm a mac person and I do feel like all PCs are slow...
Also, do you think her college is going to give them top of the line laptops with "good" hardware if they are only replacing them for $150 each? Probably not, not if they give them to all the kids.

Your PCs have been slower than your macs because you probably didn't spend anywhere near $1000 on them. The hardware hasn't been comparable. Or you didn't have antivirus installed and had a ton of viruses on your PC.

I have a MacBook, iPhone, and iPad so I'm not saying this because I hate apple products. But I also work on windows machines all day and have a windows desktop and I can't help but roll my eyes when people make blanket statements like you did.

ETA: oh those software updates you've been getting for free - Windows gets them too. But upgrading the version of your operating system isn't free on either platform.

Last edited:
But I wasn't making a blanket statement... I said "I feel like they are better." Like, "I feel like sneakers are the best footwear option when going to the gym." I was just telling her what I thought. But I just think that in the poster's situation, she isn't going to be getting the top of the line thinkpad model.

To be fair without any specs provided - you can't tell whether they are top of the line or not. We just bought a laptop PC with a touch screen for my daughter for a third of a macbook price with compariable processing chip, the same memory (8GB), and a bigger hard drive (a terabyte). Battery life is probably the only thing that it is not quite as good as the macbook (only 6 hours).

Okay, so I want some input about a laptop-

Currently I have an older 15" Macbook Pro. I use a hard cover with it so it is pretty big and heavy and not very "portable". I nearly feel as though I'm crushing myself when I carry it in my backpack when I have to. I typically avoid carrying and if I need to I take my ipad, although I use that mostly as a textbook- not computer.

So here it is really, do I go with the 13" Macbook Pro retina which from what I understand is recently updated, or do I get the 13" macbook air which hasn't been updated in a while?

Or do I wait it out until whenever the newest air would come out? However long that would take.

Back round info- junior transfer student with only 4 more semesters to go... hopefully.

Currently I have an older 15" Macbook Pro. I use a hard cover with it so it is pretty big and heavy and not very "portable". I nearly feel as though I'm crushing myself when I carry it in my backpack when I have to. I typically avoid carrying and if I need to I take my ipad, although I use that mostly as a textbook- not computer.

So here it is really, do I go with the 13" Macbook Pro retina which from what I understand is recently updated, or do I get the 13" macbook air which hasn't been updated in a while?

Or do I wait it out until whenever the newest air would come out? However long that would take.

Back round info- junior transfer student with only 4 more semesters to go... hopefully.

My sister got a 13" Mac Book Air at the start of her senior year of high school and she hates it. All of the high school students in our district received one this year and I have heard so many complaints about them. None of the students like them. All of my friends from college that have Mac Book Pros love them, I would much rather have one of those over an Air.

I have an older (2011) MacBook Air 13" with no complaints... I suggest you maybe go to the apple store and play around with the different models to see what works best for you.

I have an older (2011) MacBook Air 13" with no complaints... I suggest you maybe go to the apple store and play around with the different models to see what works best for you.

I went today and played around- still no decision at the moment. I hate going to the store, every time I go in I honestly feel there are wayy too many people in there and I can't get the attention I need. I think I'm going to wait it out. My current computer is still usable- I'll just gain some muscle and carry it I guess. But I'll wait until the newer air would come out. And then I'll have no excuses and have saved enough.

I went today and played around- still no decision at the moment. I hate going to the store, every time I go in I honestly feel there are wayy too many people in there and I can't get the attention I need. I think I'm going to wait it out. My current computer is still usable- I'll just gain some muscle and carry it I guess. But I'll wait until the newer air would come out. And then I'll have no excuses and have saved enough.

Walk in and yell that you're there to buy a laptop and need help. You'll get assistance.

Back