OT Laptop

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
We just got a Dell for my college bound daughter...We got a screaming deal through Staples Black Friday, so no Macbook for her either but it does have touch screen so I think she is happy. Now if we can just get a colored skin somehow.

Well I'll update and say apparently my sister gets 40%off Dell through her job, so it looks like she's getting a Dell for Christmas! We talked about the Macbook and I told her when she makes it through 18 months of school we'll look into it.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I'm a second year graphic design student and she will probably, eventually need a 15" Macbook. That's what I have and I upgraded to the next graphics or memory setting, maybe even both (they were running a back to school special and it was cheap to upgrade it, my parents were in charge of it since it was their money). A lot of people in my classes have problems with memory/graphics on a 13" and very few use anything other than a Mac.

The school website should have a suggestion, mine was the 15" Macbook. I think buying a regular laptop then investing later is a great idea. The first few semesters probably won't be too much graphic design courses anyways, so a Mac wouldn't really be necessary. Plus, most GD programs are like studio courses, so they only have so many spots available each year and only so many people can get into the program after they submit their portfolio...unless it's a private college, I've been told with Art Institute there is no portfolio submission - everyone can join the program! I would wait to see if she sticks with it and gets into the program before buying a Mac. As much as I love graphic design, I'm changing my major for a number of reasons. Sorry if that was a jumble of information, I just personally feel like I was kind of thrown into my GD program!

I know that schools might require Mac's for graphics students which is fine. But one computer doesn't make you better at graphics than the other. You're going to get the same education from any computer you use (assuming your computer can run everything you need). I feel like graphic students are pressured into spending a lot of money on macs when they really don't need to. Macs aren't necessary to excel in Graphic Design.

to add to what @Eyes On The Prize said - while i am no graphic design major, or anything artist or computer related, i originally went to a school with a wonderful program and a lot of their classes were taught in the art building in a mac lab (using the school's macs with all required software on it)

all of the art/GD students also had access to that building 24/7 by swiping their ID so they could get into the lab. (i was always jealous i couldn't get in) the regular computer labs in the dorms/library all had at least 3 macs, as well, and the rest dells. i have no idea what program your daughter is looking at or if they have anything similar... but if there really is some dire need for a mac in those first 2 years, i'm sure she can make do.

to add to what @Eyes On The Prize said - while i am no graphic design major, or anything artist or computer related, i originally went to a school with a wonderful program and a lot of their classes were taught in the art building in a mac lab (using the school's macs with all required software on it)

all of the art/GD students also had access to that building 24/7 by swiping their ID so they could get into the lab. (i was always jealous i couldn't get in) the regular computer labs in the dorms/library all had at least 3 macs, as well, and the rest dells. i have no idea what program your daughter is looking at or if they have anything similar... but if there really is some dire need for a mac in those first 2 years, i'm sure she can make do.

Yes, excellent point, my school also has this option for us non-Mac users. It is very helpful when I don't feel like working on my laptops smaller screen. Schools really try to accommodate their students. There's always a way to get what you need.

She's going to the same school I go to (for now) and they definitely have a gazillion Macs there. But they're only accessible until 9pm so she'll have to get her act together to use them. I'm sure she can make that work for awhile. I don't think she'll even set foot in a graphic design class until next fall.

The college I'm pretty sure I'm going to gives everyone a laptop. Graphic art students get Macs, everyone else gets a Thinkpad. Anyone have any experiences with Thinkpads? I've never heard of them and if they have a bad reputation I might buy myself something else...

The college I'm pretty sure I'm going to gives everyone a laptop. Graphic art students get Macs, everyone else gets a Thinkpad. Anyone have any experiences with Thinkpads? I've never heard of them and if they have a bad reputation I might buy myself something else...
I'm pretty sure we had thinkpads at my high school. They were slow, but I'm a mac person so I feel like ALL PCs are slow. If you can afford a mac, you should totally jump on the mac train. They last forever and software updates are free :)

I'm pretty sure we had thinkpads at my high school. They were slow, but I'm a mac person so I feel like ALL PCs are slow. If you can afford a mac, you should totally jump on the mac train. They last forever and software updates are free :)
See a Mac is what I wanted, but if I use the thinkpad I get to have it replaced at any point for 150, no questions asked. Which is pretty nice considering how clumsy I am...

See a Mac is what I wanted, but if I use the thinkpad I get to have it replaced at any point for 150, no questions asked. Which is pretty nice considering how clumsy I am...
I'm clumsy too, but the Mac is so worth it. It's a laptop, you should be careful handling it. I have dropped mine closed a few times but all it got was a few dents. I wouldn't advise dropping it obviously, but it has withstood the clumsiness. It isn't hard to just carry it in a case and then just use it on table tops if you think that dropping/falling off of a bed or something will be a problem. They are really expensive to have fixed but again, they are such a good investment.

thinkpads were sold by IBM and now Lenovo. they are all I have used for the last 17 years through two different corporations.

Back