OT Laptop

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
@Just-a-Mom we recently bought a Dell online and got it for a lot less than an HP or Mac with more features and storage than either. You can actually go on the Dell website and build your computer based on your needs. I think you can probably get pretty close to your price range.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

do not get a Dell. I promise that you will regret it. The fierce board is not the place to look for laptops. Any person with basic IT knowledge will tell you that Dell is a company to avoid. Look on IT and computer based websites because buying a Dell is basically like buying a Motorola product now a days.

do not get a Dell. I promise that you will regret it. The fierce board is not the place to look for laptops. Any person with basic IT knowledge will tell you that Dell is a company to avoid. Look on IT and computer based websites because buying a Dell is basically like buying a Motorola product now a days.

Lolzz that will tell you how little IT knowledge I have! I go out of my way to buy Dells! I've honestly never had an issue with them! Ha gonna do way more research come upgrade time..

I have yet to find a laptop that's not a mac that has decent battery.every person I know that has any other laptop besides macs the power cord needs to be plugged in 24 7. I bought my Mac on eBay for 300 I know you don't want used but mine works like new. I've had it for over two years and have had zero problems with it and the battery is great!

We have used Dell desktop and laptops at work for as long as I can remember and have had no major hardware problems. We outsource our IT services with a professional and large IT firm. As far as a laptop in the $500 price range do you have any suggestions?

I'm a computer programmer. I work in IT and I wouldn't say that Dell is a company to avoid. I've had a number of Dell computers.

I'm a computer programmer. I work in IT and I wouldn't say that Dell is a company to avoid. I've had a number of Dell computers.

Agreed. I work at my schools IT Center and the entire campus has Dell computers and there are really never any complaints. I've never heard the professional staff say that Dell does not make good products or else we would not have thousands of them across campus. There are bound to be a couple computers from every company that don't meet customers expectations or have a hardware malfunction.

If she's majoring in graphic design my question to you would be does her program require specific laptop models for software to be added? As with my school because we have a laptop program and the school loads our programs onto our laptops and updates it for us each year but in order for them to do that we must have a specific model of computer either a MacBook or Lenovo.

If they do not have a mandatory laptop program try contacting the program chair and see what they recommend for makes and models.

Hm I'll have to find out! Graphic design is so far off my radar I barely know what it is, let alone what's required for it.

Thanks for all the ideas! I'm going to see if anyone else in the fam wants to throw in on it so she'll get less gifts...but better laptop. But I was only looking at Best Buy and amazon - you guys gave me much better ideas for where to shop!

@laughAlittle I'm not "looking for a laptop on fierceboard". This is just one place I'm asking if anyone has had any particularly good or bad experiences, or ideas for where to even begin. And they did, so I'm good. :)

We are exploring the same thing for my daughter (who does not need graphic design). Unfortunately, when I heard graphic design I did immediately go to Mac. Every graphics/publishing professional I have ever known uses a mac - certainly within our company they do. I think checking with the school is probably the first move - and it may save you a ton of time if they have a standard.

After that - we are considering a mac for my non-CP - because they are some of the most well built machines and have a longer life (at full force) than PCs which do degrade overtime. The question we wrestle with is she going to want a computer that is 4 or 5 years old or will she be typical and want to replace it sooner. Current Mac laptops are not even touch screen - the latest trend. Also, this laptop in college will experience greater wear and tear; and have a higher risk of breakage/loss than any laptop in our household today (except my work laptop). so do we buy a cheaper PC that will likely need to be replaced in 3 years or a more expensive mac and if something happens in the first year or two - the investment loss is higher. I haven't looked at used/refurbished yet so I may try this.

BTW - my husband is Mr research and has an IT background and we have always gotten Dells at home.

what we go through for these kiddos...

A lot of professionals use a Mac in that field, but you don't need one as a student. Adobe's creative suite runs just fine on a windows laptop, provided they have the right hardware. But that's not guaranteed on a mac either. Aperture, Apple's version of Adobe's Lightroom, chokes on my macbook because it was the basic, basic model when I bought it and doesn't have the best specs.

I have an HP Pavilion. I use it for in design, photoshop, illustrator, etc and it works fine. Granted I'm only using it occasionally for yearbook but I haven't had any issues with the programs being slow. According to the website it "starts" around $430-$480 depending which version you get, plus Black Friday is coming up so you should be able to find a good deal on whatever you end up getting!

Last edited:
I have never NOT had an issue with Dells. Every one I have ever owned (desktop or laptop) has had some serious (and not so serious) issues. I would never buy one again. I have a Macbook, so I'm definitely biased towards them, but my sister used to have an acer she liked a lot.

I have always had Toshiba laptops and they have all worked well for me. I run photoshop, adobe bridge and million other things at the same time, bonus they're cheap. But in general just make sure you have a good processor to ensure that your computer doesn't become a zombie when you try to do things.

Back