All-Star Level 3 Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 22, 2018
So on In July I'm trying out for Allstar cheerleading team I have previously cheered at level 2 but want to move onto level 3.

I can round off back handspring series, I can standing back handspring (I'm close to standing series just need to practise a little bit more), I can punch front and I should have my aerial in around a months time.

I am wanting to learn to Round off Back Tuck would this be possible to learn before then? I have a very high rebound in the round off its something I struggled with when learning to series back handspring. I can round off back tuck on a tumble track.

ALSO

I struggle to do full twist up to full extension (I am a support side base) and I sometimes struggle to get a flyer up to full extension (I can do it, its just after a couple of attempts I get tired and can't) any advice? My baskets are high and my show and go's are really good. I can also do full up to prep just fine!

x x

Even if you got the roundoff tuck, I don't think it would be mat ready, and there are other skills you will need for level 3.The standing BHS series is vital, as is RO BHS tuck. Most gyms would like a specialty pass through to tuck. I would try out for level 2 and spend the year perfecting those skills.

As far as basing, those skills are essential for level 3 also. Those kinds of things are hard to diagnose without seeing them. It could be a strength deficit you need to work on,. or it could be a technique issue causing you to work too hard and get fatigued.

I also think that you might want to stick with level 2 for one more year. It will give you time to get solid level 3 skills. Talk to your coaches and see what they think would realistic for you.
Good luck!

I appreciate what everyone is saying its just the gym have said to me if I get my round off tuck then I can have a trial on the level 3 team and see how it goes and if its not good then drop down to level 2. I would hate to miss a shot at something I am really wanting!

I appreciate what everyone is saying its just the gym have said to me if I get my round off tuck then I can have a trial on the level 3 team and see how it goes and if its not good then drop down to level 2. I would hate to miss a shot at something I am really wanting!

I would not recommend this course of action, you don't want to rush onto lvl 3 when you are not ready and end up getting hurt or dropped from the team. Best to be on lvl 2 for the beginning. I don't think you are quite ready for lvl 3 since you don't have the necessary tumbling or stunting skills. I think you need to spend another year on lvl 2 and strengthen your skills. You don't want to spend the year barely scraping by on lvl 3 and you don't want to be the weak link on the team. Right now you seem like a solid lvl 2 cheerleader but if you work hard, this time next year you can be ready for lvl three.

I know you want it, but if you don't have the skills its going to be very stressful for you, the coach, and the rest of the team. Trust me, you don't want to be on a team you don't have the skills for. It's not conducive to building those skills.

See also:

So let's say you get your tuck super quick and get that shot at level 3.

You are barely Level 3. By the skin of your teeth with one Level 3 skill.

I've seen a lot of kids with just ONE level skill or just a few level skills have an awful season because they are super stressed.

Why?

Because they are constantly CHASING THE SKILLS THAT EVERYONE ALREADY HAS.

Always feeling like they do not contribute. Wondering if they're going to get pulled. Always having to be a background nugget. Because everyone has specialty passes with Level 3 skills and your only skill is a tuck.

See also: where are you going to contribute stunt-wise if you do not have solid Level 3 basing skills? Stunts change DRAMATICALLY BETWEEN 2 AND 3. If you can't pick it up, you will be a stunt nugget as well.

Just really look at the major domains of cheer and consider how well you can contribute at that level all around yet.

I agree with everyone else. Plus, if you can drop down to level 2 later, why couldn't you move up to level 3 later if you start off on 2 and then get the skills strong enough to compete level 3? IMO, that would be less stressful.

My daughter won NCA the year she was on Small Senior 3 in 2017. I can tell you that there was only ONE athlete that didn't have SOLID level 3 tumbling at time of placements but who was one of the most solid back spots EVER (could easily back level 5) and had just started throwing three tumbling the 2 weeks before try outs. And she STILL felt pressure all year to 'catch up' tumbling wise. I cannot imagine the stress of going onto a new team with the minimal skills required and playing catch up all year. Don't let level you compete at define you. Just cause you are on a level 2 team doesn't mean you can't work on your level three skills. Heck, my daughter threw her full for the first time when she was finishing her year on level 2. It wasn't competition ready by any means, but she wasn't limited to just working her BHS because she competed on a level 2 team.

Ask yourself - do you want to be happy when the team roster comes out or would you rather be happy during competition season?

Last edited:
See also:

So let's say you get your tuck super quick and get that shot at level 3.

You are barely Level 3. By the skin of your teeth with one Level 3 skill.

I've seen a lot of kids with just ONE level skill or just a few level skills have an awful season because they are super stressed.

Why?

Because they are constantly CHASING THE SKILLS THAT EVERYONE ALREADY HAS.

Always feeling like they do not contribute. Wondering if they're going to get pulled. Always having to be a background nugget. Because everyone has specialty passes with Level 3 skills and your only skill is a tuck.

See also: where are you going to contribute stunt-wise if you do not have solid Level 3 basing skills? Stunts change DRAMATICALLY BETWEEN 2 AND 3. If you can't pick it up, you will be a stunt nugget as well.

Just really look at the major domains of cheer and consider how well you can contribute at that level all around yet.

This. I was a level 3 athlete with standing handsprings and a round off tuck. I threw round off hand tuck and specialty passes a few times in competition and practice, but never with confidence. I went into every single full out terrified. The only reason I ever got to stay on these teams was my stunting abilities because I will do any stunting position and for the most part my stunts just don't fall. It really is no fun being on a team where you're either not throwing the tumbling or you're expected to throw passes you're still scared of. Also, last year my standing tumbling pass was toe touch double handspring, jump half turn round off tuck. Although I had all of those skills separately, putting them together in specialty passes is hard when you lack confidence in a skill. I believe out of the 8 or so competitions we had, I threw that pass in comp like three times, busted to my head 1 of those 3 times. It's just not worth the anxiety.
But don't be discouraged. Keep pushing for that tuck, some people are naturals when it comes to tumbling. For me I could round off tuck with perfect execution and height, but add a handspring in there and it was "how close can my head come to the ground without scraping it"

Please don't cut corners with tumbling, especially back handsprings. And I am saying this from the bottom of my heart and my own personal experience learning and competing tumbling on a level 5 team (I was not a level 5 tumbler).

Back handsprings are supposed to BUILD power. Learn to do a series of handpsrings building power after each one. Learn saltos out of handsprings. If you cannot throw a backtuck out of a back handspring, that means your RO BHS is not perfected yet. There is a reason this is a progression. It becomes very difficult to compose specialty passes, or even just throw 'bigger passes i.e. a layout/full/double, without a solid backhandspring foundation.

I personally struggled with this. I could do a muscled layout out of a RO BHS. But I could only full out of a RO. Watch any level 5 team, and tell me how many tumbling passes you see that are only 2 elements (ie. RO Full Twist) v.s. how many are performed out of a handspring. Most high level tumblers have strong handsprings.

Dont rush things. Compete level 2 and move up to 3 when you are ready!

The advice my girls have gottten is to be ready for a certain level, you need to be able to do the specialty skills for that level on your worst day. You might be tired or a little sick at a comp, and your team is still going to be counting on you to do those skills...

Back