Level 5 Tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 27, 2014
Hey guys. I recently was told by a cheer coach that he would love for me to be in his small coed level 5 team. I can do level 5 stunts but I'm a level 1 tumbler. Is there a way I can get level 5 tumbling in a year?

While I won't tell you no, it's probably not likely. There is also a big difference in being about to do a skill and do it in a routine and do it well in a routine.

How old are you? What is your tumbling background? How often are you training and with whom? And remember, that coach may want you on the team for a specific purpose (one/two man basing, cos you're an insane flyer and they need strength there, etc.). You may not need to tumble in the routine if everyone else does. Talk to the coach and see what he expects from you

Our level 6 team has people on it who do not tumble because they are strong in other areas. Really depends on the team and their needs. From personal experience, I am not a fan of fast progression with tumbling. My 10 year old went from a front roll to a standing tuck in less than a year, had a scary fall once, and now we have been dealing with a mental block on all handspring and tuck skills for the last 4 months. It has been a very stressful time. If I had it to do over, I would have insisted she slow things down to give her mind time time to get used to what her body was doing.

Hey guys. I recently was told by a cheer coach that he would love for me to be in his small coed level 5 team. I can do level 5 stunts but I'm a level 1 tumbler. Is there a way I can get level 5 tumbling in a year?
I got my back tuck like 5 days before I got my back hand spring. But if you can do level 5 stunts, then you'll probably learn fast.

Question. Didn't know where else to ask. Are standing full to bhs, whip, doubles legal?

I got my back tuck like 5 days before I got my back hand spring. But if you can do level 5 stunts, then you'll probably learn fast.

Not necessarily, especially for a girl but also true for a lot of guys. My CP can stunt WAY above her tumbling level. She can learn stunts quickly, tumbling not so much. It takes her a LOT of work over a LOT of time to get tumbling. Very few people of either gender can get QUALITY level 5 skills from nothing in a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow that's a tall order. Is it possible? Absolutely but it seems your stunting ability is probably what the coach is after.
Tumbling isn't the only part of the scoresheet but do what you can and work hard at it. Good luck.
EDIT:
Didn't realize this was an old resurrection of a thread.

Wow that's a tall order. Is it possible? Absolutely but it seems your stunting ability is probably what the coach is after.
Tumbling isn't the only part of the scoresheet but do what you can and work hard at it. Good luck.
EDIT:
Didn't realize this was an old resurrection of a thread.
It's been a year... I wonder if this person achieved what he or she was set out to do so. [emoji848]

Focus on a standing tuck. A toe back is the most important skill for anyone that wants to be level 5. There are tons of people at worlds who can't full and are on teams to stunt, but far fewer who can't full or standing tuck.

Focus on a standing tuck. A toe back is the most important skill for anyone that wants to be level 5. There are tons of people at worlds who can't full and are on teams to stunt, but far fewer who can't full or standing tuck.
I was just about to say the same thing. That and achieving hyper extended jumps are good goals for one year.

Our level 6 team has people on it who do not tumble because they are strong in other areas. Really depends on the team and their needs. From personal experience, I am not a fan of fast progression with tumbling. My 10 year old went from a front roll to a standing tuck in less than a year, had a scary fall once, and now we have been dealing with a mental block on all handspring and tuck skills for the last 4 months. It has been a very stressful time. If I had it to do over, I would have insisted she slow things down to give her mind time time to get used to what her body was doing.
I totally agree! My then 7 year old went from no tumbling to a layout in 6 months in her first year of all stars. She had a mental block for about 4 months but there is nothing you can do for them during the block. They have to do it themselves. It's so frustrating because you see in their eyes they know they can do it but their brain stops them. Also a lot of it came from a growth spurt. She is back better than ever now throwing level 5 skills. I think when we quit pressuring her and the coaches backed off it made a world of difference. I researched it and learned to make it unimportant. But it's harder for the parent because you just want to do it for them.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Back