Music Music For 10-12 Year Olds?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 6, 2012
What's a good theme/music for 5th, 6th grade girls? They're at that age where they feel really "cool", but to me they still have an innocence about them and I sort of what to capture that too! I'm kind of stuck I just don't want their routine to seem to mature and I don't want it to be too little kiddish....any creative suggestions? I should also mention I'd prefer not to use tons of new music that every other team will be using...I really want them to stand out for something!

Ugh, I can't help, I hope someone answers you! I am in this same situation... My mini team tried to convince me they needed "Sexy and I Know It" in their music last night. This was my face: :eek:

Ugh, I can't help, I hope someone answers you! I am in this same situation... My mini team tried to convince me they needed "Sexy and I Know It" in their music last night. This was my face: :eek:
hahahah my youth team wanted to dance to i like big butts...lol i still laugh

For that age, my favorite theme I did was disney. I got to use all the new songs that disney randomly puts out for their movies and tv shows. Usually the girls know them all, plus, they are really "cookie cutter" type songs that sound like the more mature songs that our out today (as far as beats and stuff go) and end up working pretty well for cheer. I also have done "rockstar" and "star" themes for that age group.

Let me start by saying I'm 22, but my cousin is in 6th grade so I kind of relate. My only suggestion would be to look at UK/Australian/Swedish charts and find music popular in other countries. The girls will feel cool because they'll know the songs before they come to America and you get some fresh ideas!

What I'm loving right now:
Wings by Little Mix (seriously someone please use this song I'll love you forever)
Hall of Fame- The Script and will.i.am
Bom Bom- Sam and the Wop (not sure it would work in a routine as it doesn't have a point, but I love the beat and it would be fun for tumbling classes)
We'll be Coming Back- Calvin Harris and Example
Call my Name- Cheryl Cole
Primadonna- Marina and the Diamonds
Nights Like This- Icona Pop
Hope these help a little! I have really bizarre taste in music so if you want more europop songs let me know :)

PLEASE AVOID THE BEIBER!!! Sorry no Beiber fever here :) I like the Disney idea - I think Disney has been really spinning there own "pop" sings for a while now. I actually will go on Itunes and buy those and do mixes for my daughter's birthday parties so they have music that is "cool" but still appropriate. Most songs are not played on the radio often so they will be a bit fresher than the often played safe songs.

Let me start by saying I'm 22, but my cousin is in 6th grade so I kind of relate. My only suggestion would be to look at UK/Australian/Swedish charts and find music popular in other countries. The girls will feel cool because they'll know the songs before they come to America and you get some fresh ideas!

What I'm loving right now:
Wings by Little Mix (seriously someone please use this song I'll love you forever)
Hall of Fame- The Script and will.i.am
Bom Bom- Sam and the Wop (not sure it would work in a routine as it doesn't have a point, but I love the beat and it would be fun for tumbling classes)
We'll be Coming Back- Calvin Harris and Example
Call my Name- Cheryl Cole
Primadonna- Marina and the Diamonds
Nights Like This- Icona Pop
Hope these help a little! I have really bizarre taste in music so if you want more europop songs let me know :)
It's funny that we spend ages trying to find American songs that haven't come out over here yet...

On topic, I love the Little Mix idea too, it's a great song and has a great message!

Back