High School Nca Vs Uca Camp?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Last summer my team went to an NCA camp and we all hated it. The staff treated every team there like they were inexperienced cheerleaders. I understand the whole safety thing but they made us start with thigh stands and my varsity team or actually any other teams there weren't really learning any new stunts. I mean we bascially worked on standard one leg stunts the whole 3 days. When we wanted to work on more complex stunts they said we couldn't becausethose were "too dangerous for a high school team." The whole camp was just very frustrating. I'm sure others love it but that's my experience of it.
Anyways this summer we are trying UCA camp which I think will be much better from what others have told me. It's also an overnight camp and I think that we will have a lot of fun.

UCA camp was not a good experience for our team, they didn't improve and didn't get the one on one help we needed. We're not the greatest team so we needed all the help and UCA was very impersonal. My allstar coach, who has won state at least 4 times in a row, brought all of our former cheerleaders and current college cheerleaders and choreographers and did a camp for us. It was the best experience we could have hoped for!!

Personally i love the UCA camp! Maybe we don't learn as much as we could but you get your money's worth!! Its a GREAT team bonding experience! picking roomates! have your own floor to have parties on! Its really great, but sometimes the dorms they give you arn't the greatest but you'll have a lot of fun!

Regardless of company, it really depends on which location you choose and the type of camp you go to. The larger camps will have more experienced staffers typically and more options for all ability levels. Home camps allow teams that want complete staffing focus on them to have that and work on exactly what they need to/want to. Also certain states are more NCA or UCA prominent, primarily with NCA being very big in the TX/OK region, and UCA being big in the dixie states, therefore drawing the majority of local highly experienced cheerleaders to choose one vs. the other in that area. NCA definately focuses on lots of "buddy time" for that one on one experience and "all star performance" qualities, but UCA does more traditional style skills with game time and dance stuff. Both are legally required to check your team off for skill progression though, including thigh stands, shoulder sits, shoulder stands, preps, etc. to determine what level stunting class your team is passed off for. You wouldn't believe how many teams can do scorpion full downs, but don't know how to do a simple shoulder sit.......often times progressions are ignored, especially in high school and therefore if a basic skill isn't checked off for correct technique by a staffer, they aren't going to let you work on something harder without proving that the basics were mastered. It's a HUGE safety liability for the camps, so they have to be strict on it......no matter how annoying lol.

my team went to nca camp! i honestly think that those camps are a little cheesy but they're silly and fun and definatley bring your team closer together. i personally think that your camp expirience is what you make of it and if you go to camp prepared, you will have a better expirience. the food wasnt great and i didnt love the cabins either...

We went to a UCA camp last year but it was only for a day and it was basically jsut for the UCA staff members to learn how to be a staff memeber, if that makes any sense. They taught us our routine thing and then like every 5 mins a new staff memeber would switch in and change everything that the last one told us to do. Super annoying. We're going again on saturday so let's see how this goes.... Personally, I thought it was a waste of time last year. It was good for JV but not so much for Varsity.

When I was a cheerleader, I went to UCA Camp for 5 years in a row. It definitely was a good experience for myself as well as the team. Mainly for bonding, and seeing which stunt groups work well together, etc...as far as I could remember, all of the staffers were incredibly nice and we always looooved our big sister/brother. Yes you learn an insane amount of cheers/sidelines/dances during your 4 days, but I think it is all worth it. I am the assistant coach now and they haven't been to camp since I was a senior (4 years ago). We are going to Uca camp this summer and I am actually really excited! We have had the same cheers for years and years and now we can finally learn some new material/different methods of bonding! :rolleyes:

UCA!!!! Honestly though, you getting what you pay for. I've never been to the overnight-away type camp, but it's pretty understood that those camps are mainly designed for team building, gametime prep, etc. A private camp at your school (my HS did this) is more personal and I LOVED this type of camp!!! Still though, it's mainly designed for gametime preparations. There's also V!ROC choreography that Varsity Brands puts out and THIS is where you get a competition routine. My HS is very competitive & already knows a fair share of old UCA cheers so we do strictly V!ROC now for competitons and it's great!!!!!

UCA is really more of a prep for the fall, not so much competition season. They teach you an extreme routine (which most Squads use for half time) and alot of cheers and dances. I've never been to an NCA camp, but I heard it focused more on progression through stunts and less on the "Cheering" part of cheerleading. I've done two UCA at home camps and the instructors were great! They knew exactly that for our age, we were really advanced and we needed more stunt time. I think it just kind of depends on where you're going for camp and what instructor you get.

I just came back from UCA and loved it. our team got one on one help and advice. we had great bonding time. & I believe we all learned a lot. I now have a chance to go to London because of all American. it's overall a great experience.

Back