All-Star Nca's Appropriate Choreography Reminder

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

First of all 'Boobgate'? someone explain...I wasn't there didn't see and never heard of it..and I agree with NCA..I have a young boy child who accompanies my cheerleaders to competitions and if I have to shield his eyes to your routine or explain lyrics..then it's probably too suggestive. I do not like hearing some of the new songs out there for example 'peacock' by katie perry..don't wanna hear that in a cheer mix AT ALL...
Basically Top Gun International 5's uniforms from last year were quite low cut and during their performance at NCA last year one of the tops came down a little bit too low.

ETA: Link to picture http://cheer.gkelite.com/blog/lates...th-originality-in-their-custom-cheer-uniforms

I think everyone is making a bigger deal about this than it is. I feel like if you keep your hands away from your privates while you're dancing, you'll be just fine. A lot of it's just common sense. If your choreography resembles Christina's "Dirrty" video or something a girl would do on stage at Scores, then you probably need to edit.

I think everyone is making a bigger deal about this than it is. I feel like if you keep your hands away from your privates while you're dancing, you'll be just fine. A lot of it's just common sense. If your choreography resembles Christina's "Dirrty" video or something a girl would do on stage at Scores, then you probably need to edit.
Exactly. There have been plenty of awesome, 'fierce' dances that don't have girls doing things that should probably be covered by a black censor box..

The fact is that the individuals running these events are adults, and they are trying to keep all events "family friendly". I promise you that the adults don't take pleasure in making you unhappy, or trying to tell you what to do, but the fact is that it is our JOB to make sure we are acting in your best interests.

I realize that in this industry a lot of coaches/choreographers are very young and/or recent cheerleaders themselves, but at that age, you don't always see things completely clearly as to what is or is not okay for a child to be doing. I know I didn't. There needs to be a more collaborative effort between coaches and more tenured staff. As a coach, I have had some younger assistant coaches/recent cheerleaders work with me on a routine, because they have great ideas, but I think it is my responsibility to edit/discuss where to draw the line or how to clean somethings up. When you explain to them WHY it can be seen as inappropriate, sometimes they actually agree...that is fun=)

Yeah, but I've seen your teams and your choreographer....adults are in the drivers seat. Not the "now I'm 18, so I'm an adult" kind, but the actual grown ups with children and real jobs and ethics=)

OMG this reminds me of a team years ago in Jersey, I wont mention the team name, but I believe their still around under a different name. They danced to "dirty" by Christina Aguilera. It left some parents with their mouths on the floor, but personally I thought it just touched the "gray area" / border line.

Swearing and drug references of course should never be in there! But like the beyonce song where they have the "mother" part and other various things like that. Who is to say what is appropriate and what is not when music and choreography varies so much. Appropriateness is subjective. In my high school, you technically were not allowed to wear shorts shorter than fingertip length. We had two vice principals who would let you get away with shorter, as long as they were appropriate and your but wasn't hanging out. But another principal didn't even think it was appropriate to wear anything shorter than bermuda shorts. appropriateness is subjective based on so many different things.
lol....this was what my mom said her principal did...but even that has caveats. Considering I'm so short, my arms are thus so, and if abiding by that rule, I'd be technically permitted to walk around school like a street walker :eek:

i feel ahead of time would have been BEFORE choreography season, and BEFORE music was picked for the routine. some teams don't have the time or money to replace music.
Just an FYI that my email and posting wasn't a new policy. It was a helpful reminder of a pre-existing policy that's been in place for roughly 5 years. The popularity of Beyonce's song and 'I'm Sexy and I Know It' motivated the decision to remind everyone. So, the only programs that should be inconvenienced by the policy are those new programs new to NCA that didn't read their materials prior to registering.

Just an FYI that my email and posting wasn't a new policy. It was a helpful reminder of a pre-existing policy that's been in place for roughly 5 years. The popularity of Beyonce's song and 'I'm Sexy and I Know It' motivated the decision to remind everyone. So, the only programs that should be inconvenienced by the policy are those new programs new to NCA that didn't read their materials prior to registering.
That was kind of sassy (true, but sassy) and I really liked it.

Back