College Ncata And Nca Nationals??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 26, 2011
So I was reading the FAQs on the NCA Collegiate website regarding NCATA (aka 'Stunt' developed by USA Cheer) and it says, "The NCA/NDA Collegiate Championship is reserved solely for teams that function exclusively as traditional or club cheer teams. Teams that participate with the NCATA or other forms of gymnastics or acrobatics are no longer considered exclusively cheer based teams." Stating that even teams that have been coming to NCA college nationals for years cannot participate if they've participated in NCATA.
So knowing that both Maryland and Louisville all girl have participated in NCATA, according to this information neither of them can compete at NCA college nationals this year. Correct??

So I was reading the FAQs on the NCA Collegiate website regarding NCATA (aka 'Stunt' developed by USA Cheer) and it says, "The NCA/NDA Collegiate Championship is reserved solely for teams that function exclusively as traditional or club cheer teams. Teams that participate with the NCATA or other forms of gymnastics or acrobatics are no longer considered exclusively cheer based teams." Stating that even teams that have been coming to NCA college nationals for years cannot participate if they've participated in NCATA.
So knowing that both Maryland and Louisville all girl have participated in NCATA, according to this information neither of them can compete at NCA college nationals this year. Correct??
The NCATA is not STUNT so Louisville will be there but NONE of the NCATA universities will be there including Maryland.

NCATA and STUNT are two different things

NCATA has gotten full sport integration from the participating universities and a part of that is by definition the teams do not support other sports. That is a key point in the Title IX requirements.

STUNT is a format that may look similar, but the main difference I see is that it created by USA Cheer, and it is being competed with current college competitive cheer teams. Like it was just illustrated pretty clearly with the University of Alabama, they may be very respected at their university, that does not mean any of them are officially regarded sports.

It would be worth your time to read about them and watch some of the videos to understand the differences well.

Thanks for the clarification. I was so confused. All of these new associations have my head spinning!!

Thanks for the clarification. I was so confused. All of these new associations have my head spinning!!
The alphabet soup of groups gets bigger it's hard to keep up.

Another difference between STUNT and the NCATA is that NCATA athletes are on athletic scholarship and have to follow ALL NCAA guidelines for eligibility including amateur athlete status.

The alphabet soup of groups gets bigger it's hard to keep up.

Another difference between STUNT and the NCATA is that NCATA athletes are on athletic scholarship and have to follow ALL NCAA guidelines for eligibility including amateur athlete status.

Doesn't NCAA require that you participate in the sport in high school? How would that work with athletes who just compete all star and don't cheer for their school?

NCATA meets and STUNT meets are ran differently as well. STUNT seems to do more routine like sequences for everything, while NCATA is mainly doing a skill and being done with it. And, STUNT is based more off of cheerleading, while NCATA seems to be based more off of gymnastics, and acrobatics, so the name and organization for each one fits pretty well. I do not think UMD or Oregon would enjoy STUNT cause I feel those programs are more gymnastics based anyways, and I do not think I would enjoy NCATA because I enjoy the traditional cheerleading aspect of STUNT.

Which organization will dominate, …
NCATA –vs. - Stunt
will be decided by the NCAA in the near future.

In the mean time, much speculation will continue to surface. Once you take a step back from both programs and review each you will discover some similarities and some obvious differences! A significant issue centers around the participants qualifying as Collegiate Student Athletes in NCATA for regular competitions in A&T (Acrobatics & Tumbling), whereas in the USA Cheer program of Stunt the participants may or MAY NOT be treated as Collegiate Student Athletes!

NCATA requires each school to provide the following:
Athletic Training Staff access & support as other NCAA recognized Sports
Appropriate training facilities (Gym & Floor)
Insurance coverage during practice, travel or competitions
Strength Training access & support as other NCAA recognized Sports
Qualified Coaching Staff
Individual Athletes receive statistics based upon performances
“All American Athlete” recognition based upon skills

USA Cheer offers participation in Stunt by Club level teams who may or MAY NOT have access or support, whether physical or financial. So in which program would you rather be a Student Athlete?

If you really want to see A&T in action ... take some time right now & spend $12.95 to watch the semi-finals and the finals being filmed at the University of Oregon as the competition occurs today and tomorrow!

https://www.nmnathletics.com/regflow/Landing.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=500

You can't watch NCA Collegiate Nationals, nor were you able to see live the UCA College Nationals, but you can watch the NCATA (National Collegiate Acrobatics & Tumbling Association) A&T Nationals on live feed from the Matthew Knight Arena! Now this will answer many questions, just remember Title IX does NOT affect All*Star athletes, however NCATA provides more Collegiate Scholarship opportunities for female athletes!

Enjoy! Let's hear what you think about the format after the Nationals are completed!

Back