Need My Standing Tuck In 2 Weeks!!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 12, 2012
hey guys i know there are alot of standing tuck posts out there but im looking for advice designed for my problems not other peoples.
So im on a level 4 team conditionally which means if i dont get my standing tuck in two wees im cut from the team :( my problem is my set and sometimes my tuck, i never seem to be able to fully extend my arms to the top before i tuck which means my tuck end up going back like a back handspring. also my tuck, most times its almost like a pike.
my coach keeps telling me i have the power to do a standing tuck even if its piked but my set kills all my power :( did anyone go through this and do you know any tips or drills i can do at home and in the gym to help me get a solid tuck in 2 weeks?

Take a panel mat and unfold it. Place your toes on the edge. Toes on the mat, heels on the floor. This should help you push all the away through the top of your set.
Good Luck!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

My CP's coach makes her do calf raises (go from flat footed to tip toes and back down) 50 times a night. This helps strengthen your calf muscles which you use to jump. We also do 'tuck ups'- lay on the ground and practice rolling up your legs/hips. This usually works best if you can hold into something while lying down.

Good luck! Try not to stress because it will give you a block!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

On a trampoline you can do "over sets" which is where you do punch jumps with your arms by your ears and then do the tuck with your arms staying by your ears in the set position the whole time.

What also helped me a lot was to do tucks facing a mirror and looking for your arms to go all the way up before you start tucking in.

Stacking up bi folds and practicing set jumps onto them helps jumping up. Start with 1 bi fold and work your way up to more.

Tuck jump candle sticks help strengthen your legs and core.

Hope that helps

its not so much my legs but more my arms, they stop just past eye level and thats whats killing my power

Try to just jump straight upwards and not start the tuck to early. Wait 'till you're at your highest point before you start to tuck and focus on getting your knees to you chest, and then use your hips for faster rotation!

I used to do the exact same thing with my set! I taught myself a tuck and I would rely purely on the fact that I had a strong jump and a string pull, but my tucks were very low. When I got a coach that actually taught me to set I managed to get a way of setting that worked for me. I learned to set all the way by thinking about making a backwards circle with my arms by rotating my shoulders backwards before I pulled my legs. So like right now just stand up and set your arms up and then rotate them back and around and mark pulling your legs (and when you pull don't think knees richest, thing butt over head). That's what your tuck should feel like! Once I started doing that I could even pull out open tucks (where you don't pull your legs at all like the gymnasts do).

What my coach made me do when I was working on my standing tuck was lay on the ground with me arms at my sides, then as quickly as i could throw my arms up like i was setting and do a backwards roll like that. They're really awkward feeling but it helps a lot!

Unpopular opinion alert:

I don't know how close you are, but don't push it. If you are just now hitting a BHS, getting a tuck in 2 weeks is a stretch. If you're closer than that (i.e. doing it but with technique that is not the best) some drills may help a lot.

However, I've seen kids NOWHERE NEAR ready to work a tuck rush it, eat mat every single day, then get a mental block and become unable to do ANYTHING, thus defeating the purpose.

hey guys i know there are alot of standing tuck posts out there but im looking for advice designed for my problems not other peoples.
So im on a level 4 team conditionally which means if i dont get my standing tuck in two wees im cut from the team :( my problem is my set and sometimes my tuck, i never seem to be able to fully extend my arms to the top before i tuck which means my tuck end up going back like a back handspring. also my tuck, most times its almost like a pike.
my coach keeps telling me i have the power to do a standing tuck even if its piked but my set kills all my power :( did anyone go through this and do you know any tips or drills i can do at home and in the gym to help me get a solid tuck in 2 weeks?
-Try doing a lot of squat jumps
-practice on trampoline>tumble track>cheese mat>rod floor> spring floor

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I used to do the exact same thing with my set! I taught myself a tuck and I would rely purely on the fact that I had a strong jump and a string pull, but my tucks were very low. When I got a coach that actually taught me to set I managed to get a way of setting that worked for me. I learned to set all the way by thinking about making a backwards circle with my arms by rotating my shoulders backwards before I pulled my legs. So like right now just stand up and set your arms up and then rotate them back and around and mark pulling your legs (and when you pull don't think knees richest, thing butt over head). That's what your tuck should feel like! Once I started doing that I could even pull out open tucks (where you don't pull your legs at all like the gymnasts do).

I know this is way old but I just wanted to say: thank you!
My coach tried to explain something like this to me the other day and I didn't really get, what he meant. You description is perfect! I'll try doing this the next time. I like the concept of having "something to do" (i.e. completing the arm swing circle) instead of just waiting in the set... :)

Back