New Cheer Mom Here!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

newcheermom624

Cheer Parent
Sep 18, 2011
hi!

i have a 4 year old, thinking about getting her involved in allstar cheer!
i joined to get feed back and other parents/coaches/athletes ideas on the cheer world :)

The cheer world like any other child sport has it's good and bad. I have found that there are amazing life lessons in all star cheer provided you as a parent stay involved and filter a lot of the hooey out...:) I have two daughters in cheer..our whole family loves it. We are centered around healthy living...exercize....food choices etc....it has been good for ALL OF US...:)

thanks for the response!
i wanted to get her involved, because she is an only child and will be going to school next year, so i thought it would be a good learning experience with meeting new people and following rules thats not ours, and so far the hubby is on board haha

thanks for the response!
i wanted to get her involved, because she is an only child and will be going to school next year, so i thought it would be a good learning experience with meeting new people and following rules thats not ours, and so far the hubby is on board haha
It is a great way for her socially to aclimate to new kids AND teaches rules and learning about team work etc...like I said...we love it..:)

can I just say that I wish I started cheer when I was 4?

but yes, definitely cheer is an amazing sport <3 since I started cheer I have grown so much as a person, while still learning valuable life lessons that can be applied to daily life. and by starting at such a young age she'll be able to become an amazing cheerleader as well as learn these lessons!

My CP started when she had just turned four and we have never looked back! It has been such a great experience. Just in three years she has gained so much confidence, so many new friends, and so many awesome skills. Love and miss those first seasons! :)

c67f3d46.jpg

20c181b0.jpg

My daughter started cheer when she was 5 and has loved every second! Granted, she's only 8, but...

Cheer can be a great thing as long as you do your homework. First, I suggest figuring out what you want out of a cheer gym. Are you looking for fun and low key? Are you looking for someone to push your daughter to progress? Are you looking for a highly competitive atmosphere? There is a gym for each of these desires. One isn't better than another, but might be better for you. I'd recommend going to the gym during a time that your CP would be practicing and just hang out. Watch the practice. Talk to the parents. Talk to the owner. Ask about fees (they can be pricy!), practice times, competition dates and expectations, coaches' qualifications, safety precautions, and time commitments.

I have seen girls in my daughter's gym grow in confidence, poise, health, and strength over the last 3 years. It's really amazing to watch. I will give just one word of warning. If, after a season, your daughter doesn't seem to enjoy it, I'd consider pulling her from the sport. I can tell which girls want to be at the gym, which girls wish they lived at the gym, those who are fine with it, and those who would rather be at the dentist than the gym :p. This really isn't something that you can make a child do. S/he really wants to do it, especially as they get older.

If you don't want to jump head on into all star (and I hear that there are people who don't :confused:) try a tumbling class. It's a good way to get her feet wet, so to speak.

Where in NY? I know the BEST gym, by far, hands-down, in Rochester...:)

Hahahahaaaa! Me tooooo!

But I'll just agree with what everyone else has said - I wish my girls had started at 4 (I started my little one at 3, but she didn't do well with it so I took her out until she was 6 - my older one didn't start until she was almost 14). It's done wonders for both of them - physically and emotionally. And I've met some of my closest friends through cheer. So of course I'd say DO IT!!!

The only advice I'll give you is know what you are getting into. All of what @dawgshow said is important to consider. Cheer is a HUGE financial and time commitment. It is NOT cheap. Depending on your gym, the costs can look significantly lower in the packet than the costs you will actually incur over the season. So make sure you know ALL the costs and ALL the time commitment involved before you commit to a team.

Good luck!

Back