New Cheer Mom Here!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If you don't want to jump head on into all star (and I hear that there are people who don't :confused:) try a tumbling class. It's a good way to get her feet wet, so to speak.

That's what we did for cp when she began. Just a "Tumbling for Cheerleading" class. She did that for a solid 5 months before we took the plunge. She was able to be in the gym, hang out, learn, but not have the pressure of practicing 2 hours, 2 days a week.

My daughter started cheer when she was 5 and has loved every second! Granted, she's only 8, but...

Cheer can be a great thing as long as you do your homework. First, I suggest figuring out what you want out of a cheer gym. Are you looking for fun and low key? Are you looking for someone to push your daughter to progress? Are you looking for a highly competitive atmosphere? There is a gym for each of these desires. One isn't better than another, but might be better for you. I'd recommend going to the gym during a time that your CP would be practicing and just hang out. Watch the practice. Talk to the parents. Talk to the owner. Ask about fees (they can be pricy!), practice times, competition dates and expectations, coaches' qualifications, safety precautions, and time commitments.

I have seen girls in my daughter's gym grow in confidence, poise, health, and strength over the last 3 years. It's really amazing to watch. I will give just one word of warning. If, after a season, your daughter doesn't seem to enjoy it, I'd consider pulling her from the sport. I can tell which girls want to be at the gym, which girls wish they lived at the gym, those who are fine with it, and those who would rather be at the dentist than the gym :p. This really isn't something that you can make a child do. S/he really wants to do it, especially as they get older.

If you don't want to jump head on into all star (and I hear that there are people who don't :confused:) try a tumbling class. It's a good way to get her feet wet, so to speak.
im totally "doing my homework" i dont want to put my child in a program where i feel like i cant leave her alone or have to take out a second morgage haha

rochester!! haha i looked up a few, but because the season has already started..she would have to wait untill may

No she wouldn't. Most gyms will take kids this late (expecially little ones). I'm messaging you (Look up at the top right and you'll see "Inbox" with a little red number. Click on that and you'll get your messages)

rochester!! haha i looked up a few, but because the season has already started..she would have to wait untill may
At your daughters age I highly doubt that.... She would be in the Tiny division which usually does not fill up real quick!
I'm sure the other moms are wanting to sugggest Fame Allstars to you.... Great program!! I would definetley stop by one evening when the tinies are practicing!!

one of my good friends niece cheers for Core, so shes telling me all the good things, then a friend from High school daughters cheer to North East Elite and i just looked up Fame All Stars and i love the aspect of being kind of like a "franchise" and having more than one gym, to me that equals more coaches and more success

At your daughters age I highly doubt that.... She would be in the Tiny division which usually does not fill up real quick!
I'm sure the other moms are wanting to sugggest Fame Allstars to you.... Great program!! I would definetley stop by one evening when the tinies are practicing!!

Why tinytumblersmom...what EVER would make you think that?!? :p And we're not the LEAST BIT biased. Apparently my obsession with all things FAME is well known.

I don't know enough about Core or Northeast Elite to really say anything about them. But I will say being part of a larger organization, with so many locations and teams was great for my family. We loved our time with Fame.

I have to laugh at this. My cp did pageants before she started cheer. She definately likes cheer more and I dont think she would ever stop unless she had to.
haha yeah my mom was thrown into pageants when she was little and did them her whole life so she didn't make me! I think cheer is definetly better for little girls because its not competition based on beauty and looks. Plus it allows them to work on a team and have the whole focus not be all on them. Wish I would have cheered when I was younger!! I waited till middle school. So to all you parents who started your kid young, good job:)

My cp was older when she started pageants, not a baby, old enough that she actually asked, but I dont miss it haha. I do wish she had started cheer earlier. We both do.

To the moms: how much time do you dedicate to cheering?
I work 9-5 my husband works 7-7; luckily everything here is 15minutes away!

Do you find yourself rushing a lot?

How much time? My whole life. :) And I wouldn't trade it for the world. I am closer to my daughters than anyone I know whose kids don't do cheer.

At the tiny age we had practice once a week for 90 minutes. She took an optional tumbling class once a week for 60 minutes mainly because she wanted to be there more often. Now she's at the gym 3 days for a total of 5 hours.

No she wouldn't. Most gyms will take kids this late (expecially little ones). I'm messaging you (Look up at the top right and you'll see "Inbox" with a little red number. Click on that and you'll get your messages)

Really? Y'all let me put "expecially" in a post??? :eek:

Lawd...some friends you guys turned out to be. :confused:

one of my good friends niece cheers for Core, so shes telling me all the good things, then a friend from High school daughters cheer to North East Elite and i just looked up Fame All Stars and i love the aspect of being kind of like a "franchise" and having more than one gym, to me that equals more coaches and more success

I think @ohhh lindss used to cheer at Core so she might be able to help you with them :)

Back