OT New Random Thread 4

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I didn't know weed makes you a faster runner:confused:

Clarification: It doesn't make you a faster runner, it masks pain, reduces inflammation and tones down anxiety.

The down side, any drug that blocks pain and anxiety effects your central nervous system and brain, primarily the hippocampus portion of the brain which effects memory. That's literally how pain meds work, they make you forget pain by blocking the signals from short term memory to long term memory. The opioid crisis shut that door on big pharma, and THC is being pushed as the new miracle drug. "No," people aren't going to OD on THC, but the brain injury they cause is still very real and it's diabolical it's being touted as beneficial to anyone except big pharma.

im torn. i feel like at the olympic level you should automatically know not to do any form of illicit drug.
its great that weed is so widely accepted here, but i feel like that should just be a common sense thing for any athlete undergoing drug testing

I see people arguing that her suspension is stupid because weed is widely legal. It does feel like the Olympic rules should probably be adjusted to reflect that. Yes it’d be hard to do, but that’s the world we live in. They should probably keep up.

I see people arguing that her suspension is stupid because weed is widely legal. It does feel like the Olympic rules should probably be adjusted to reflect that. Yes it’d be hard to do, but that’s the world we live in. They should probably keep up.
Ik it’s not legal where I live, and I also personally believe that you shouldn’t do harmful drugs/smoke. But also it is legal in some places, so I can see the argument there. But it’s tricky bc what if the athlete in question did it in a state it’s illegal? That could get hard to enforce.
I personally believe that they deserve there suspension. Rules are rules, and if you know that you are not allowed to smoke weed, then at the end of the day you made that decision knowing it was not allowed and could get you suspended.

Ik it’s not legal where I live, and I also personally believe that you shouldn’t do harmful drugs/smoke. But also it is legal in some places, so I can see the argument there. But it’s tricky bc what if the athlete in question did it in a state it’s illegal? That could get hard to enforce.
I personally believe that they deserve there suspension. Rules are rules, and if you know that you are not allowed to smoke weed, then at the end of the day you made that decision knowing it was not allowed and could get you suspended.

Yeah exactly, it would be really hard to enforce because how can you possibly tell which state the athlete was in when the pot entered their system? It’d be almost impossible to tell short of tracking them digitally or something.

The coach in me agrees she knew the rules and should’ve known better.

But the progressive in me believes that this particular rule seems a little outdated since the legality of marijuana varies and also has such a wide range of uses outside of recreational drug use. I think the suspension could/should stick this time since rules are rules, but I also think that some rule changes are probably necessary going forward given the grey area that marijuana currently falls in.

I guess what I can get on board with is, the Olympics anti-doping rules try to reflect athleticism in it's purest form for long term health, fairness in the sport, and safety. They don't allow drugs (legal or illegal) that can potentially harm an athlete long term, they don't allow drugs that can potentially enhance performance, and they don't allow drugs they feel could harm the "spirit of the sport." It's hard not to appreciate the intent of their rules, especially when a lot of countries/coaches/sponsors would, without a second thought, put their athlete's performance over their long term health and safety. Russia has had 43 athletes (out of 149) stripped of their medals primarily for violation of anti-doping rules. The US is in 5th with 8 medals stripped from athletes.

Sha' Carri is hardly the first person to reach for something to block out the pain over the loss of a loved one, that's the heart breaking part for me. She's an incredible athlete, I hope we see her next round.

Yeah exactly, it would be really hard to enforce because how can you possibly tell which state the athlete was in when the pot entered their system? It’d be almost impossible to tell short of tracking them digitally or something.

The coach in me agrees she knew the rules and should’ve known better.

But the progressive in me believes that this particular rule seems a little outdated since the legality of marijuana varies and also has such a wide range of uses outside of recreational drug use. I think the suspension could/should stick this time since rules are rules, but I also think that some rule changes are probably necessary going forward given the grey area that marijuana currently falls in.
Yes, this exactly! Like this time the suspension should stay because that’s the rule. You don’t have to agree with the rules, but at the end of the day they are rules. They could look at this rule in the future for changing it, but tbh it had a lot of gray area, which would make it extremely hard to change the rule.

Oh my GOD I just found this stash of old cheer videos on YT and it’s taking me back.

I thought this team’s cheer was the cutest thing growing up. Remember when you could use your whole team to spell out the school’s letters and it was considered creative and not a complete waste of time?

How do you all feel about Gwen Barry turning her back on the flag and everything she did with the anthem? I’d love to hear y’all’s opinions. Personally coming from a family that has lots of military myself, I find it extremely disrespectful, and don’t think she should represent this country in the Olympic Games. You can respect there are problems in this nation and try to fix it without being disrespectful. That flag you turned your back from, that anthem you covered your face from, people died for that. People died for this country. Show some respect. And don’t represent a country your not proud of in the Olympic Games. Idk, just my opinion of it

How do you all feel about Gwen Barry turning her back on the flag and everything she did with the anthem? I’d love to hear y’all’s opinions. Personally coming from a family that has lots of military myself, I find it extremely disrespectful, and don’t think she should represent this country in the Olympic Games. You can respect there are problems in this nation and try to fix it without being disrespectful. That flag you turned your back from, that anthem you covered your face from, people died for that. People died for this country. Show some respect. And don’t represent a country your not proud of in the Olympic Games. Idk, just my opinion of it

They fight for her right to protest, and she did a calm, un-distruptive protest. I cannot put myself in her shoes because I am not a black woman that has been dealing with the impact of racism for my entire life like she has, but she can protest the things that have happened to her however she wants. That does not discredit her accomplishments as an athlete.

So, the thing is, if you actually research the history of the anthem, she's not wrong. It took over 100 years for the anthem to become The Anthem, partly because of its overtly racist writer, and when it was finally made so, it was considered a confederate political victory. For over a 100 years after it was written, there was no anthem and most people sang other songs (My Country Tis of Thee was a big one). It didn't get popular as an anthem until later, gaining most of its popularity by white southerners after the Civil War. The United Daughters of the Confederacy are probably one of the most responsible groups in it becoming the anthem. In fact, when they had the victory parade in Baltimore, celebrating the song becoming the official anthem, the parade was started with the confederate flag. Hard not to see her point there. The third verse does in fact mention slaves. Francis Scott Key was a well known racist who descended from a family of wealthy plantation and slave owners. He fought most of his professional life to keep slavery and prosecute abolitionists.

I don't think what she did was disrespectful. She didn't walk away, she turned around. We allow that here. Being proud to be an American doesn't mean you are proud of everything there is about the US. There have been some very dark moments in our history (and currently). If there aren't people to shine lights on the darkness, how do we grow?

Back