OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Since Halloween really picks up over here, I've got some questions:

Do you give sweets to everyone - regardless of age?
Do any of you not participate in trick or treating? How do you make it clear to kids/teenagers?

Idk, I guess I'm okay with little kids going trick-or-treating, but it seems that teenagers around here think that it's an easy way to get sweets without much effort (= basically no costume, or a "pretend" costume). And for me October 31st is always Reformation Day, not Halloween, especially since Halloween only picked up around here when stores saw how much money they could make with it. So I guess I'd like to limit trick-or-treating to small kids, but how could I make that clear without sounding mean/grumpy?

Do any of you not participate in trick or treating? How do you make it clear to kids/teenagers?

Idk, I guess I'm okay with little kids going trick-or-treating, but it seems that teenagers around here think that it's an easy way to get sweets without much effort (= basically no costume, or a "pretend" costume). And for me October 31st is always Reformation Day, not Halloween, especially since Halloween only picked up around here when stores saw how much money they could make with it. So I guess I'd like to limit trick-or-treating to small kids, but how could I make that clear without sounding mean/grumpy?
When we pass out candy we give it to everyone even parents. Sometimes parents are not wearing a full out costume(just a hat or mask) but we ask them if they would like candy also.
We don't get many teenagers around here but when do come, they are dressed up and we always give them candy. I think I would give candy to everyone even if they weren't wearing costumes, what if some poor kid can only afford a "pretend" costume and now I'm going to tell them that their costume is not good enough for candy [emoji30] one year my parents couldn't afford to buy us costumes so I wore my dads clothes and went us a man, I also drew a mustache on my face [emoji23]lol I was probably around 12 and I would have been so embarrassed and mortified if someone said my costume wasn't good enough and I wasn't getting candy.
Most of the time now we don't pass candy because we are all gone trick & treating but we leave a bowl at the front door with candy. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mom buys those cheap dum dums and gives them out to teenagers/adults and babies who obviously can't eat a snickers. She saves all the good candy for the actual children.

I had a child actually hold out a second bag and said "can I have some for my mom?" She got a dum dum.

Y'all is it just me, or are kids' costumes getting weirder?

During trick-or-treating we had a 3-year old dressed as Flo the Progressive Insurance lady, a 4-year-old dressed as Zoolander, and an infant dressed as bacon.

CP was zombie Elsa. It was all her idea and she looked awesome.

Around here it's mostly just kids that ask anyway, but if you have a decent costume and a bucket or bag, you get a couple pieces.

If your light is on, everyone assumes you're passing out candy.

If you're not participating you turn your porch lights off and people usually won't come up, although children really like to believe everyone is doing it so they may ring the doorbell anyway... So probs not fun if you're at home and not giving out candy!
I trick or treated until 8th grade (which might've been pushing it) but always wore real costumes. I did get some sass from my 8th grade English teacher when I went to her house and was told "you should be collecting job applications not candy" but she was just a mean human. Nobody told us no but I don't think high schoolers really trick or treat! Most people stop at the end of middle school or earlier.
I have to say I would've rather gone trick or treating this year then frat hopping. College Halloween is a bummer because you can't eat your parents left over candy[emoji23]

Thank you everyone so far!

I wouldn't turn away kids for not having a costume. But there were actually 4 groups of 5+ teenagers (I'd guess all about 15-18 years old) with no costumes at all, just regular street clothes and bags for candy.
And I don't have porch lights since I live in a house with multiple apartments, and the light outside is always on when it's dark. I guess next year I'll simply put a sign next to the door bell (and again on my apartment door), that I don't participate in Halloween. Sad for the kids, but since it doesn't have a tradition here anyway, you'd have to expect that there are people not participating. There are other holidays that do have a tradition where I will pass out candy, guess I'll just be the Halloween-grinch.

Thank you everyone so far!

I wouldn't turn away kids for not having a costume. But there were actually 4 groups of 5+ teenagers (I'd guess all about 15-18 years old) with no costumes at all, just regular street clothes and bags for candy.
And I don't have porch lights since I live in a house with multiple apartments, and the light outside is always on when it's dark. I guess next year I'll simply put a sign next to the door bell (and again on my apartment door), that I don't participate in Halloween. Sad for the kids, but since it doesn't have a tradition here anyway, you'd have to expect that there are people not participating. There are other holidays that do have a tradition where I will pass out candy, guess I'll just be the Halloween-grinch.
You have multiple candy passing out holidays? That's awesome!

There's a guy at work who passes out candy to kids and then beer to the parents :p granted he said he doesn't get very many trick-or-treaters in his neighborhood and he knows all his neighbors.

I trick-or-treated until I was 17 and my friends and I always dressed up, I see no problem in older kids participating in the holiday. I'd definitely say 18 is the oldest I'd deem acceptable to be going around for candy but I think it's ok for teenagers to go around. I think after 18 kids just go to parties anyways.

Y'all is it just me, or are kids' costumes getting weirder?

During trick-or-treating we had a 3-year old dressed as Flo the Progressive Insurance lady, a 4-year-old dressed as Zoolander, and an infant dressed as bacon.
Parents just trying to be original.

I'll hand out to anyone, though I will judge some people. I had a 20 year old with a friend (maybe 18??). Full beard too. And a couple of Dad's collecting a second bag after their 2 year old got the first round. Really people?? I also had 1-2 students come around twice (different groups of friends). I bugged them but still gave them more. I love Halloween. We had almost 200 people last night.

We had no trick or treaters this year. Zero. Nada. It was sad.
And I do live in town! I'm not way out in the boonies somewhere, I guess everyone just goes to the other side of town with the large housing developments with like 80 houses crammed onto one block.

3b1672dfaf86225d6055d12f713264fb.jpg

Love this!

I live in a huge neighborhood and our streets were lined with cars full of people from other neighborhoods. This was only our 2nd halloween not living in the middle of nowhere so it's weird to actually get trick or treaters.
One family came up, a little girl who had 2 bags and asked for candy for her brother....who was in a stroller and not even 3 months old.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back