OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
It's almost been one full week and I am already ready for a new President.

I'm a journalism student and let's just say my classes have been interesting and we've just started.

I was literally in class and my Apple Watch was off the hook with all the ridiculousness that he's trying to push.

Me too, but only because the shenanigans down there are making people forget about how the federal Conservative Party has to elect a new leader after Stephen Harper stepped down. I think I've mentioned one of the front runners on here (wanted to implement a "barbaric cultural practices" hotline), but now there's another guy who is probably worse. He doesn't speak French (says he speaks the "language of jobs"), and believes that 3.5 billion people living in poverty is "fantastic".
And then there's the suicide crisis in First Nations communities in Ontario. But because some people have this idea that Canada doesn't have as big of a problem with racism as the U.S., they pretty much ignore it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep telling myself that O'Leary won't win the leadership. But I also told myself that Trump wouldn't win the election. What do I know.

My family gets into frequent discussions about the FN situations here. I keep asserting that it's a much bigger problem than any amount of money thrown at it could ever sold. It's an education issue, access to basic necessities issue, addictions issues...it's too big to fix with money. And maybe too big to fix period.

My youtube page is a mess. It's half General Hospital, The Sims Let's Plays, best of videos of any Pop Diva. Then randomly I'll get a Cinema Sins video or Abandoned video.
Cinema Sins is REALLY good. Also highly recommend the Game Theorists and their analyses and play-throughs of Hello Neigabor (very interesting game with interesting symbolism).

Most of my family is of the opinion that most First Nations peoples' problems are their own fault, that the government gives them too much.
They seem to conveniently forget that the last residential school closed in 1996, that if women married a non-native man she (and their children) would lose their status and any benefits associated with them.
There's a rumor that Charlie Angus might run for leadership of the federal NDP, so that could be a start. He's been incredibly vocal about the government's inaction, especially with the suicides in Ontario.
I never even knew about residential schools until I recently listened to a CBC podcast called "Missing and Murdered: Who Killed Alberta Williams?". I was astounded.

I never even knew about residential schools until I recently listened to a CBC podcast called "Missing and Murdered: Who Killed Alberta Williams?". I was astounded.
I was watching a video on the 10 or 15 (can't remember) most outrageous school rules and they mentioned that kids in those schools would be starved and beaten if they spoke their native languages... and yet it took them until 1996 to close the last one. Disgusting.

I'm so stressed and frustrated and way off my game!!! Still can't get my damn hands on a NES Classic Edition unless I want to pay hundreds of dollars for a $60 system....
Sorry random rant from an overage gamer trying to relive her childhood years!!

I was watching a video on the 10 or 15 (can't remember) most outrageous school rules and they mentioned that kids in those schools would be starved and beaten if they spoke their native languages... and yet it took them until 1996 to close the last one. Disgusting.
Some of my family were forced to go to those schools. Many tribes are losing their language because of this and families want their kids to do well in English schools. I'm not fluent in my language as well many in my generation. The local Indian school that's still open in NM was also like those residential schools where they were forced to speak English and convert to Christianity. The history is bad. Now the tribes own and run it. So it turned into a positive. I didn't go that school but my my younger family members do. There's a good movie you should look into that's about these boarding schools. It's called Where the spirit lives. It's one of my favorite movies

Roughly 6000 children died while the schools were in operation. The schools and their effects get a bit more attention on the west, but that's largely due to the Pickton case and the inquiry into the women who have disappeared or been murdered along the 'highway of tears'.
What's the connections to these schools and the highway of tears? I actually know a little about that highway after watching it on ID.

I'm so stressed and frustrated and way off my game!!! Still can't get my damn hands on a NES Classic Edition unless I want to pay hundreds of dollars for a $60 system....
Sorry random rant from an overage gamer trying to relive her childhood years!!

lol I literally had a dream last night about getting one

Some of my family were forced to go to those schools. Many tribes are losing their language because of this and families want their kids to do well in English schools. I'm not fluent in my language as well many in my generation. The local Indian school that's still open in NM was also like those residential schools where they were forced to speak English and convert to Christianity. The history is bad. Now the tribes own and run it. So it turned into a positive. I didn't go that school but my my younger family members do. There's a good movie you should look into that's about these boarding schools. It's called Where the spirit lives. It's one of my favorite movies
I just realized that you and @iwearmysunglassesatnight are both Native and have the same profile pic.

Back