College New Rules For Uca College Nationals?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's 20 now, up from 16 last year. No more than eleven males are allowed to compete. For example, large coed teams can have eleven males and nine females. The dance divisions have changed as well, no more than 16 dancers can compete.

Can you link to this info because it isn't posted on the UCA website.

@ kentuckygirl....you need to get your facts straight

the bids were awarded not at camp but from the past 3 yrs nationals standings per division.

everything else is the same (16 for coed with the max of 9 guys)

Thank you very much (and @collegecheermum) for clearing that up.
I got really confused because I searched everywhere on the UCA website and could only find the update on the bid process. I actually couldn't find the rules at all on there.

oh and @collegecheermum she probably won't answer where she cheers because from what I have read from her posts she doesn't cheer, just a "fan".

I'm not sure how that is working..but I will find out from a staffer.

So far, no "at large" bids being awarded as everyone will start at round 1..but additional info is coming out in next few weeks. being that it is a new system..some kinks might need adjusting. I still like it vs the video tape entry.

Thank you to @Andre and @collegecheermum
I was thinking you had to have a bid to attend.
I am super excited to see what changes are in store for the future. I noticed it said that the bid process will be changed even more for next year so that is exciting.

I think any move toward NCA style is a HUGE mistake. Keep them separate as they should be. They are two very distinct styles and they both should be maintained. I for one love the more traditional UCA style and do not care for the NCA "dance" style. Cheerleaders cheer, first and foremost!

Also new this year - as I have been told - ALL teams will have to go through prelims and not get a pass straight through to finals. Can't offer any proof of that but my daughter told me that yesterday.

As for the new way bids are awarded, in my mind, its another way to level the playing field and bring folks to a more competitive chance against UK. Until last year (or year before) UK hadn't finished first in taping perhaps ever. Call me biased, but these moves are partially to loosen UK's dominance in UCA. And it will probably work.

The article on UCA does say that everyone will start in the first round, but I believe it also mentions that it will up to UCA as to how many rounds there are (could have read it wrong thoug).

That is an interesting thought about this being a way to loosen UK's dominance. I also think that it could help UK because instead of worrying about putting together a tape that can work even longer on getting their routine solid. I am really just interested in what the changes for next year will be.

As for the new way bids are awarded, in my mind, its another way to level the playing field and bring folks to a more competitive chance against UK. Until last year (or year before) UK hadn't finished first in taping perhaps ever. Call me biased, but these moves are partially to loosen UK's dominance in UCA. And it will probably work.

UK won taping when I was there, granted that was a long time ago.

Back