Newbie Gym Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Libbydin

Cheer Parent
Mar 14, 2016
Hello, my daughter wants to try out for a cheer team for next season. Tryouts are scheduled for May for a few cheer gyms near us. She is 6 years old and has some tumble and gymnastics background. Besides schedule and financial commitment, what are some good questions to learn more about the gyms. There are 2 in particular nearby. Thank you!

Are extra practices common and are they announced or last minute?

How mani competitions do they normally attend? Is there a lot of travel?

What is the gyms sick kid policy?

Who coaches the kids?

Can I talk to other parents?

**FB winner for cutest animal pictures**

What is your policy on vacations?

What costs are not outlined in the fee schedule? Ex: team gifts, etc.

What is your policy on moving or replacing kids? Tumbling blocks?

Do you tend to place kids on one team only or do most kids cross to another team as well?

After my child makes a team, is that subject to change and for how long? Ex: At some gyms, the teams are SET shortly after the tryout and kids don't move teams/levels during the season unless necessary. At others, your child is not placed on a team until later in summer after a few months of practice/work out groups.

What is a typical practice like for your mini athletes?

I would also ask what other teams the gym has. Even though your kid is young, if she ends up loving the sport, she'll want to stay and hopefully improve. While having higher level teams doesn't necessarily make one gym better than another, it's something to consider. If Gym A only has a Mini 1, Youth 1 , Senior 3 and Senior 5 and Gym B has Mini 1, Youth 1, Junior 2, Senior 4.2, Senior 3 and Senior 5 then Gym B has more options for her to be placed on when she progresses.

On the side, check out the gyms online. Check their social media stuff and if possible, look at the coaches Facebook pages. It might sound creepy, but I'd want to know how each gym behaves in social settings as well as in the gym.

Welcome from another Mini mom!

Beyond what has been said already, make sure to truly compare the gyms comp schedules. Gym A might do more but they may be mostly local with little travels while Gym B may do fewer but involve more travel/hotel stays.

I'd also ask about contribution you're expected to make during the season---does the gym require you to put money in for snack bags, extra goodies throughout the season...etc.

Read the reviews left by parents and check out their social media accounts---you can normally get a good parent vibe based off their comments and how things are worded.

Ask how they place kids on teams---is it level before age or age before level (probably won't matter at this point, but may down the road).

Good luck!

Thank you so much. I don't know people personally on the teams, so these questions are golden. Also, of the 2 gyms, one is more established and the other is newer but has a very strong gymnastics program that is established. Would you be concerned about joining a newer cheer program?

Hello, my daughter wants to try out for a cheer team for next season. Tryouts are scheduled for May for a few cheer gyms near us. She is 6 years old and has some tumble and gymnastics background. Besides schedule and financial commitment, what are some good questions to learn more about the gyms. There are 2 in particular nearby. Thank you!

ask other parents in the gym for reviews and concerns about the gym!

Thank you so much. I don't know people personally on the teams, so these questions are golden. Also, of the 2 gyms, one is more established and the other is newer but has a very strong gymnastics program that is established. Would you be concerned about joining a newer cheer program?

curious, do gyms usually take a stand... age first level second? or vice versa? wondering if you could explain more about that

curious, do gyms usually take a stand... age first level second? or vice versa? wondering if you could explain more about that
Our gym does age first, level second. So if you are junior aged, have level 5 skills and only want to do one team, you will be placed on the highest junior team in the gym even if it is not level 5 because we do not have a junior 5 team. If you wanted to do more than one team, you would be put on that junior team and perhaps the senior 5 team as well. They do it to keep the lower levels as strong as possible until athletes age out.

Research how well each gym teaches technique (which can be hard to do if you are new but is so important). If I were to go back and do things all over again, I would have cared less what team or level my kids were on for the first few years as long as they were being taught how to do skills correctly. Our first gym was small and the technique they taught was not very good, and it still haunts my kids with some skills today (more than 5 years later). Our second gym taught excellent technique (as does our current gym) and it makes a huge difference with skill progression.

Back