High School Nfhs Proposed Spirit Rule Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Someone text me said it was decided and doubles are illegal?? Anyone have confirmation on this?

The official confirmation hasn't come yet, but many people have confirmed that it will be in the NFHS press release which should be coming out soon.

Haha! I wish!! I was originally told 3 weeks but this week is the third week so I think that estimate is wrong. My understanding is that it will be after the NFHS board meeting. Ugh! I checked the NFHS website and that meeting isn't until the 18th of April!!! :(

True that it is fine for girls who get to attend clinics, but not everyone has the money or time to travel to clinics. I just think that it is silly to eliminate double downs but then add in that you can do braced flips in pryamids (not complaining about adding that because I like that new rule).
There are many stunts at the college level that are illegal for HS. I personally would rather not double, even though I have a beautiful double down as well as a kick double; however, I think I would rather work on inversions as a preparation for college level/level 6 inversion baskets versus doubling down.

It hasn't been officially voted on, but the board just passes whatever the advisory committee recommends and doesn't debate it or anything.

It hasn't been officially voted on, but the board just passes whatever the advisory committee recommends and doesn't debate it or anything.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but UCA follows AACCA right? Is AACCA doing this too? I guess i'm wondering if this is going to effect everyone that goes to nationals, or just the states that follow NFHS. My state picks and chooses, but they haven't been that different in the past so it wasn't a big deal.

I emailed Jim Lord (head of AACCA) and asked... and yes, the rumors are true. Double downs will be illegal under AACCA rules for the 2012-2013 school year, as well as additional, unspecified changes that he said coaches will really like.

The justification for the change is "data showing body-to-body contact being the primary head injury cause and warnings for years about double downs not being heeded. I think there's just too much pressure being put on coaches and teams to do them for competition when they aren't ready to do it. "

Seems as though AACCA will be the same or very similar to NFHS...I pulled the above from the Legality Question thread earlier this month.

This seems like the few items that were AACCA legal this past season will also be NFHS and it will keep everything in line, which I think is GREAT!

WOW .. It would be nice if there were Beginner / Intermediate / Advanced levels for high schools in states. Then teams that have to go up against those teams doubling won't have to push the envelope and then all those injuries wouldn't occur. Just a thought - I know that at some competitions they offer these levels but not at each state.

Back